Atheism - Discussion thread (1 Viewer)

james_chappo

Neurotic To The Bone
HSC
Seeing as there are several religion-based threads I decided to dedicate a thread to Astheism. Religious people are welcome to express their views.

james_chappo

Neurotic To The Bone
HSC
Atheism = Disbelief in or denial of the existence of God or gods.

I'm actually an agnostic, but I label myself as an Atheist because many people are not familiar with the term.

Agnosticism = The belief that there can be no proof either that God exists or that God does not exist.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
yeah exciting discussion...i meant if you were atheist you would not care about the beliefs of others

i wasnt asking about what atheism is, im just implying each to their own in a sense

ah dont worry ;P

james_chappo

Neurotic To The Bone
HSC
Why wouldn't Atheist's care about other people's religions? I find religion fascinating - just because I don't believe in some religion's it doesn't mean i'm not interested in them. I believe one can extract certain concepts from a religion and apply them to everyday Atheist life.

james_chappo

Neurotic To The Bone
HSC
That's what I mean. You can extract humanist principles from religion. Also, it is quite interesting to hear all the evidence used by people to justify their different beliefs!

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Nah it gets rather tiring, me and moonlightsonata (probably a few others) waged intellectual war against a bunch of theists in a huge thread and it was merely repetitions.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes I remember that Ntb.

I'm a staunch Atheist btw.

james_chappo

Neurotic To The Bone
HSC
Lets revive the argument!I don't just wana be up against the christians. Get some muslims from the islam thread to come and argue!

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
There were muslims, jews, christians etc all in the thread, I think it got closed tho :(
If you really want to revive the argument, start the thread "Does God Exist? part II"

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
james_chappo said:
Lets revive the argument!I don't just wana be up against the christians. Get some muslims from the islam thread to come and argue!
Why do you want to argue about religion? You know neither side can ever win, and it's how wars start :p

james_chappo

Neurotic To The Bone
HSC
Hmmm maybe not. Hmm everyone else may already be tired of it. Perhaps this thread should just be dedicated to Atheism. Discuss evidence and things like that. Ohwell i'm going back to the Hitler thread for a while :)

james_chappo

Neurotic To The Bone
HSC
yenta said:
Why do you want to argue about religion? You know neither side can ever win, and it's how wars start :p
Arguing isn't all about winning. It's about discrediting other people's evidence and using your own. I enjoy arguing. Religion doesn't cause world war - it is only one of the factors that cause minor wars.

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
I'd call myself Agnostic if anything...although I wouldn't actually call that a religion. I'll just say I am religion-free.

james_chappo

Neurotic To The Bone
HSC
yenta said:
I'd call myself Agnostic if anything...although I wouldn't actually call that a religion. I'll just say I am religion-free.
I'm agnostic too - I just label myself as Atheist because more people know what it means.

kimi

C U Next Tuesday.
HSC
N/A
james_chappo said:
I'm agnostic too - I just label myself as Atheist because more people know what it means.
yeh same here. Im agnostic as well and when i tell ppl im agostic and they tend to not know what it means, mostly people from my school cos im from a catholic school. But these people are like, if ur not catholic- ur satan-worshipper kinda. Even when i say im an atheist, they look at me weird. Thye are ignorant people.

paskal

HSC
bump

hehe, reviving the discussion. we need a debate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)