Atonement (1 Viewer)

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
saw this today because i was craving some sappy vintage love story
the beginning was pretty great!! so hot!! haha
but it totally plateaued, and then got long and drawn out and boring. and they kept jumping around "2 years earlier" "3 weeks earlier" it was all over the shop

and the ending was disappointing. but the beginning was so great! sad that they couldn't maintain it throughout. there was so much more developing that could have been done

regardless, the one thing that stood out for me was the soundtrack (okay, okay, and the combined hotness of Keira Knightly and James McAvoy droooool)
they incorporated a typewriter into the score and it was utilised as a motif throughout - very effective. soundtrack = WIN

icecreamdisco

HSC
it was ok. will probably win a shitload of academy awards.

blech at that sub-children of men tracking shot of the dunkirk battle aftermath. no one likes a showoff, mr. wright.

blechfast in bed at keira knightley's mouth and it's freakish disembodied-ness.

bertol blecht at the attempt at a bittersweet final scene when the ending should've made me want to slit my wrists in agonising depression.

all things said, it's worth seeing for a lovely first half and some scattered moments of greatness afterwards.

walrusbear

HSC
i read the book when it came out.
the first half was brilliant & the second half underwhelming/dull

i feel like i've already seen this movie just by looking at the poster and knowing the story

K.

HSC
This movie was stupendous.
I loved the novel, Ian McEwan is such an amazing writer.

This adaptation of the novel was done very very well.
The whole directing the same scene from different perspectives was done effectively. The casting was done pretty well (One little niggle was Paul Marshall, from the book I never saw him as that old-maybe it was just the awful facial hair on Cumberbatchs' face?). 13 Year old Briony was amazing. I hated her character, but Saoirse Ronan did such a captivating job with the role.

oooohhh yes, the music was so good in it. Dario Marianelli did the music, who also did the music for V for Vendetta, whose music was also superb!

Highly recommend watching it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atonement_(film)#_note-castcrew2

Kabbasi

HSC
melimoo said:
saw this today because i was craving some sappy vintage love story
the beginning was pretty great!! so hot!! haha
but it totally plateaued, and then got long and drawn out and boring. and they kept jumping around "2 years earlier" "3 weeks earlier" it was all over the shop

and the ending was disappointing. but the beginning was so great! sad that they couldn't maintain it throughout. there was so much more developing that could have been done

regardless, the one thing that stood out for me was the soundtrack (okay, okay, and the combined hotness of Keira Knightly and James McAvoy droooool)
they incorporated a typewriter into the score and it was utilised as a motif throughout - very effective. soundtrack = WIN
I agree with the movie being really drawn out in the middle with the characters basically loitering through fancy scenery for some while and me thinking "where the hell is this story going" but I think that it did pick up at the end and it turned out alright.

P.S. Did anybody else just cringe with unease when McAvoy's character gave the wrong letter to Briony and she read it?

K.

HSC
Kabbasi said:
I agree with the movie being really drawn out in the middle with the characters basically loitering through fancy scenery for some while and me thinking "where the hell is this story going" but I think that it did pick up at the end and it turned out alright.

P.S. Did anybody else just cringe with unease when McAvoy's character gave the wrong letter to Briony and she read it?

bahahaha I didn't cringe, the whole cunt thing was hilarious.

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
hahaha hahah

also - the green dress cecilia wore is voted as best one in film or some shit

i thought the dress was hot when i saw it so yay

spiny norman

HSC
Saw this today.

As seems to be the concensus, I thought the first half was excellent and the second half a tad more scattered. The scene of the three mains reunited at the end was terrible, so I was glad for the final scene to negate it (though it caused confusion to the group of guys behind me - they found any major leap in chronology a puzzle though).

The acting was all pretty good. I actually managed to not want to feel like throwing Keira Knightley down a flight of stairs for the first time since...ever, maybe, actually. The score was quite good (actually, I think there've been a few excellent soundtracks for this year).

The scene at Dunkirk - I must admit to having a soft spot for long takes, with the beginning of The Player being close to my favourite openings for a film ever, and I was enjoying this one for a while. But then it just didn't end, and I began to realise there was no point for it, and I got bored.

Still, I thought it was pretty good. As far as romantic war epics likely to dethrone Coen masterpieces for the Best Picture Oscar they so richly deserve, I'll certainly take it over The English Patient.

SiN3m

HSC
I really didn't enjoy the movie no matter how much i love Kiera Knightly... I couldn't connect to the characters...the only time i felt really sad was when the horses were shot dead on the beach! my blood is still boiling...

Opposed to what others say, i liked the end better than the beginnning. I swear these english analysis techniques don't allow me to watch a movie without thinking about them! I liked the way they didn't end up together in the end...to much like a fairy tale.

ballin

Banned
HSC
totally wonderful projection of the novel onto the big screen. awesome blend of past/present and multiple viewpoints - the elegance with which the pieces fit together is testament to joey wrights ability as director, im sure we'll see more from him in the future

G

Gavvvvvin

Not the greatest film...just seemed like two hours of scattered events with no real plot until the last 5 minutes when its all drawn together.

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
A pretty good movie. It was a bit all over the place in the middle with all the time shifts but the conclusion was interesting (if less subtle than the novel). Keira Knightley was garbage, James McAvoy was brilliant and the soundtrack was utter genius. Anybody else notice a pattern with when the typewriter was being used as an instrument?

SiN3m

HSC
666_blessings said:
A pretty good movie. It was a bit all over the place in the middle with all the time shifts but the conclusion was interesting (if less subtle than the novel). Keira Knightley was garbage, James McAvoy was brilliant and the soundtrack was utter genius. Anybody else notice a pattern with when the typewriter was being used as an instrument?
i noticed the typewriter music from the start. i thinks it fits prfectly with the character of Briney (sp???)

renzieroo

HSC
I thought it'd be more popular and than it is. Keira Knightly and Jame McAvoy - best!

respect90

HSC
do you'd reckon atonement could be considered as a text for the hsc? because the characters are having a PHYSICAL JOURNEY, but its really an IMAGINATIVE JOURNEY which Briony has created since their lives were cut short thanks to her and her lies from when she was a kid......and her novel also explores her own INNER journey as she learns and understands the severity and pain which her lies has caused her sister and her lover.

what do you's reckon??

cause i have to do an essay due first day back .....

'the journey teaches us much'

use the tempest and 3 related texts to agree with this quote.

so yeah PLEASE help me out =]

THANX =]

lucidassembly

HSC
While I did really like it, I felt that the film lost a significant amount of heart and humanity in its attempt to be cinematically beautiful. Even at the end, I felt like they tried to force an emotional response from audiences. It was like "This is the part where you cry, so... cry now!", and that kind of cheapened the overall impact for me.

With that said, James McAvoy was truly brilliant, and it really was cinematically beautiful :p

respect90 said:
do you'd reckon atonement could be considered as a text for the hsc? because the characters are having a PHYSICAL JOURNEY, but its really an IMAGINATIVE JOURNEY which Briony has created since their lives were cut short thanks to her and her lies from when she was a kid......and her novel also explores her own INNER journey as she learns and understands the severity and pain which her lies has caused her sister and her lover.
I've never studied The Tempest, but I think it could work :) One journey kind of leads into the other, and it covers every different kind. You could also look at the impact of one person's journey upon another (eg Briony's imaginative journeys as a child, and the devastation and consequent inner and physical journeys both Robbie and Cecilia are forced to embark upon as a result. Thus, one aspect that the journey teaches you could be that your actions have consequences for not only yourself, but also for those around you). Good luck with the essay by the way!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)