Attendance and Absent Fails (1 Viewer)

Snarkie

HSC
So week 5 of my 1st year at uni and the amount of classes I've missed is starting to alarm me. A combination of lack of motivation to do my course, 4 hours of travelling everyday and a series of stupid mishaps (thanks mum for not telling me daylight savings ended a week later this year) means I've missed a large number of tutorials and even a physics lab.

Basically, how much class can I miss before I'm slumped with an absent fail? Will they give me some sort of warning? Oh, and what happens if I fail a course anyway? Anyone know anything about attendance in first year?

I'm really not ready for this uni thing. Why, oh why didn't I defer!:bomb:

Jess007

HSC
yeh...defering would ofbeena good choice lol

sorry i know nothing about uni

but :(

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
Well depending on your course, they might not care at all if u miss lecture or tutorials (but it would affect your marks highly).
But on the other hand check your subject outline as some subjects state that you must attend atleast 80% of tutorials and lectures to pass the subject or u get technical failure.

Dont worry it happens to everyone what you are going through, my friend hardly went to his engineering lectures and still passed, and this is ENGINEERING LOL.

darkliight

I ponder, weak and weary
HSC
N/A
Snarkie said:
So week 5 of my 1st year at uni and the amount of classes I've missed is starting to alarm me. A combination of lack of motivation to do my course, 4 hours of travelling everyday and a series of stupid mishaps (thanks mum for not telling me daylight savings ended a week later this year) means I've missed a large number of tutorials and even a physics lab.

Basically, how much class can I miss before I'm slumped with an absent fail? Will they give me some sort of warning? Oh, and what happens if I fail a course anyway? Anyone know anything about attendance in first year?

You need to start taking a bit of responsibility here. Your mum didn't tell you about daylight savings? Cmon.

You need to take responsibility for your course choice too. If you don't want to do it, then don't. If you can't motivate yourself to go to class by week 5 of your first year, you're going to be fucked come week 12 of your third year. Change it or something if you really don't like it.

/end adult mode

Snarkie

HSC
darkliight said:
You need to start taking a bit of responsibility here. Your mum didn't tell you about daylight savings? Cmon.

You need to take responsibility for your course choice too. If you don't want to do it, then don't. If you can't motivate yourself to go to class by week 5 of your first year, you're going to be fucked come week 12 of your third year. Change it or something if you really don't like it.

/end adult mode
Oh yes, absolutely, responsibility is all mine. I totally get that. That mum thing was my attempt at humour in what was otherwise a bit of a sob story. I own up to it completely, I just wanted to know about the system and what could be the consequences of what I completely admit to be my own fault.

I love my course, it's not why I'm unmotivated - more like I wish I did some travelling or something before starting it. I have made up for every class that I have missed, as in gone to another tutorial at a different time, but I don't think it counts on the official records for my attendance. I want to go to class, just I can't seem to manage going to my allocated class at the right time, lol.

Snarkie

HSC
Hakz said:
Well depending on your course, they might not care at all if u miss lecture or tutorials (but it would affect your marks highly).
But on the other hand check your subject outline as some subjects state that you must attend atleast 80% of tutorials and lectures to pass the subject or u get technical failure.

Dont worry it happens to everyone what you are going through, my friend hardly went to his engineering lectures and still passed, and this is ENGINEERING LOL.
Yeah, I did read through the outlines but most just say that I have to attend tutorials but doesn't really offer much advice on what to do if I miss one... or two.

I'm doing science, so not quite enginerring, but I don't think I could pull it off like your friend. lol, guess we'll see when the exams roll around. :bomb:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
If it doesn't say that you will automatically fail for not attending asome of them then you are unlikely to if you haven't been told. The best thing to do if you unsure is email your tutor and ask them, or ask them after class and tell them that you have attended other classes to make them up.

That said you are doing science which means you need to hurry up and get your act together! Science is mostly in class work so its much harder to catch up. I see that you have made the class up which is good but you need to start going to your own classes, most tutors dont like people going to different classes all the time because its hard for them to mark roles or allocate class particpation marks (some dont mind and if you have a real reason then they can usually allow you to).

It seems you are struggling to adjust to university life and the fact that no one cares if you turn up or not, they'll just fail you. I think you need to sit down and think if this is what you really want to do and try and find the motivation to go to class, if travelling is that much of an issue have you considered transfering to somewhere else?

You best attend class etc because you missed the census date (the date before which you can drop out without getting a fail or having to pay for the subject) which means if you slack off and dont turn up to classes (and this is required) or drop out it will come up as a fail on your academic transcript and you will pay for the subject!

I dont mean to sound rude or mean but it sounds like you just need a bit of a boot up the arse so to speak, don't worry most of us need it once in a while esp. in first year when we are adjusting, I know I did.

Good luck and keep in mind it is hard to adjust at the begining, just get your act together, its not too late! Good luck!

shannonm

HSC
N/A
on the brighter side you still have plenty of time to get your shit together

if its week 5 then you're still at not much risk of absent failing anything
as very little (if any) of the final marks for your course have been awarded yet (i.e. assessments completed)

unless you do something stupid such as not turn up to a final exam (40% weighting?) then your not much at risk of absent fail

Trajan

HSC
Snarkie said:
Is it too late for you to defer?

maybe you can still take program leave.

look into it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)