Attention: those who dropped Ext 1 cause of Romanticism [Austen/Bronte] (1 Viewer)

M.T.T.

HSC
It's not that bad, really.

Wuthering Heights -
Exciting and engaging; fascinating characters (Heathcliff); impressionable scenes (beginning of Vol. 2); it's just one of those books that they tell you to read before you die.

Northanger Abbey -
Shorter and easier to read than Emma (if you can read a quarter of Emma, then you can definately read this); more light-hearted; Austen as a narrator is far more interesting in this novel; Catherine Morland is far more likeable than Emma Woodhouse; etc.

If you based your decision to drop English Extension 1 because you hated Austen's Emma and you felt that Wuthering Heights / Northanger Abbey were going to be worse, then I say that you have poor judgment.

(I haven't read Possession, but I will soon - even though it's not a prescribed text of mine)

HSC
Well, initially I quite enjoyed the ee1 syllabus, and then it started to get difficult...
we're doing Keats... and there's just so much to cover...

still, I think it's pretty heckers, gives you bragging rights for doing ee1.
ALSO LOVED Wuthering Heights. Ace novel, surprisingly thrilling.
Heard Possession is pretty anal and boring- like the twilight trash.
I'm not really looking forward to it.

Good luck,

sm92

HSC
Yeah... the prelim year seemed much more enjoyable.. we did identity and appropriations etc. which was pretty simple but it was more relevant and if you grasped the concepts you could do really well. But this new stuff is in a completely different time frame, using unfamilar language so according to the scholars out there its more "respectable" literature and superior... well I dont know how they can argue that, so long as you are utilising critical thinking and contributing appropriately does it really matter if you study 21st Century Australian Idenity in an intellectual way or if you study Keats who we have hardly no connection to at all.

Of course, any English teacher would kill a student for saying something like this. Oh well, thats the system

yay :)

HSC
I really need an idea for EE2...
This is so frustrating, I don't think I'm going to come with anything brilliant. I'm so intimidated by the showcase people.

Shakes fist*

jess39

HSC
^ My teacher keeps going on about how the Showcase people are really unrealistic and a lot of it is postmodern crap anyway. But that doesn't make them any less intimidating, I know.

And back on-topic, I wish we did this elective. I hate After the Bomb. I know nothing about the Cold War, even after all the reading I've done. It just doesn't go into my head.

M.T.T.

HSC
(I haven't read Possession, but I will soon - even though it's not a prescribed text of mine)
So, I'm reading this at the moment.

The story is lost on me - I dislike it - but I'm loving the writing style and the frequent changes in form. It's unique in my collection of what I read.

In relation to Romanticism, it is a commentary on the period and its writers. Compared to what I've already researched, this book is "correct" in the way it portrays the movement in its historical context.

One negative point though: I don't like Randoll and Maud. Literary studies seems like an odd profession, and they're irritable when they focus on their careers.

Possession does for literary scholars what Fountainhead did for architects.

As a final note:
Good book but I don't suggest anyone to read it outside of educational obligation.

Artemis_ephesus

HSC
As a final note:
Good book but I don't suggest anyone to read it outside of educational obligation.
I read Possession for the first time in year 9 and then used it for a critical study of choice in year 10 and absolutely loved it. There's so much criticism in and about it, it's multifaceted, riveting, and generally beautifully written. (Unlike the movie - don't watch it. You'll find you like Roland and Maud even less - he's an American, for god's sake!) Byatt has to be one of my favourite authors due to her cleverness: she's created a whole world, absolutely real characters (I actually thought that Ash and LaMotte were real on first reading) and a whole oeuvre for both of them. It's dense to read, but stunning. I'm hyped to be doing it as a romantic text. Not many people are doing it though - I think people are scared of it because of it's length and the fact that it's postmodern and not written from inside the romantic period.

I'd love to be a literary critic. ;)

M.T.T.

HSC
I read Possession for the first time in year 9 and then used it for a critical study of choice in year 10 and absolutely loved it. There's so much criticism in and about it, it's multifaceted, riveting, and generally beautifully written. (Unlike the movie - don't watch it. You'll find you like Roland and Maud even less - he's an American, for god's sake!) Byatt has to be one of my favourite authors due to her cleverness: she's created a whole world, absolutely real characters (I actually thought that Ash and LaMotte were real on first reading) and a whole oeuvre for both of them. It's dense to read, but stunning. I'm hyped to be doing it as a romantic text. Not many people are doing it though - I think people are scared of it because of it's length and the fact that it's postmodern and not written from inside the romantic period.

I'd love to be a literary critic. ;)

I think it's awesome that you enjoyed it as much as I did.

About my suggestion though, I was aiming at the Twilight fanatics...

On an added note, I feel like reading it again. (after the HSC, that is, when I have the time)

Artemis_ephesus

HSC
Oh, don't get me started on Twilight! For god's sake, there's better ways to use your time... Even better ways to waste it. Seriously, why it's driving people so crazy is incomprehensible to me.

Ok, maybe it's not incomprehensible, I know why people like it. I just can't believe how people, especially girls, can stand the constant insults against the female sex. As for the main relationship, I only have two words to say: creepy and abusive.

M.T.T.

HSC
I just can't believe how people, especially girls, can stand the constant insults against the female sex. As for the main relationship, I only have two words to say: creepy and abusive.

QFT.

It's a book series written by a female author, for a female audience, and then directed by a female director, yet it contains quite a shocking layer of misogynist overtones.

Not to mention Stephanie Meyer is a Mormon and her belief is represented in the series.

dagsthewog

HSC
Hi, all.
I'm currently doing English Extension 1 and I really really REALLY hate Wuthering Heights!!! It is soooooooooo boring that I can't bear to read anymore. Catherine is a whining old cow and is really turning me off reading the rest. Anybody who would like to persuade me to keep Ext 1 as a subject please do so because I am seriously thinking about dropping. I loved Coleridge but i just don't find Bronte interesting or engaging.
Somebody please change my mind and tell me it gets better...(and do so honestly) because I don't want my HSC mark to suffer because I kept a subject I hated.
Anybody read Jane Eyre or Possession? I'd like someone's opinion before reading

xLiemx

HSC
QFT.

It's a book series written by a female author, for a female audience, and then directed by a female director, yet it contains quite a shocking layer of misogynist overtones.

Not to mention Stephanie Meyer is a Mormon and her belief is represented in the series.

LOL rofl have u even bothered to read twilight?

firstly i have and i think its a fine book. firstly i hate books. no seriously they are an absolute time i dont know why i bother. probabaly cause even with my hatred of books i do excellent in english advance ext1 and ext 2. talent i suppose. or i dont study enough of maths(which my scores has gone down as much as my english scores gone up).

firstly it is pathetic to drop a subject merely cause u hate the books. i didnt drop but i know why many did. it is the romantic era and ideas itself. it is restrictive as opposed to say crime.

in crime u cud argue between modern and older crime novels, films even and on a larger basis. eg villains crime acts red herrings investigats etc

romanticisms is restricted to the era and ideas of love imgaination and anti science. it also has tha singular idea throughout. at the very least crime u cud do modern day texts, interesting crime works(i shall not list all illegal acts here as i suppose you would know) but romanticism is RESTRICTED.

you like it or dont. or like me put up with it to do ext2.which is much easier and enjoyable than ext 1.

now to the twilight bit.

austen and bronte bore me. simplistic storyline and lagging.

twilight moves at a pace designed for the average teenage audience. it includes refreshing ideas and a simplistic but well done story.

it is the fact that it is simplistic and refreshing with "scary and uncharted" ideas that throw of normal book readers and cause them to hate.

sure it doesnt contain long words and make you hug a dictionary. sure it does not contain phrases and such that require a back of the book section like wuthering hieghts. and of course it does not contai

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
I have read Twilight. Only the first novel. I don't hate it, but i can't say i loved it. You hit the nail on the head when you said 'average'. Twilight IS designed as a story for an average teenage audience, which is exactly why it can't be incorporated into education! It seems noone wants to push themselves, or break free from what they find comfortable. Twilight lacks depth. Most people agree on that (even some dire Edward Cullen-lovers in my class). How do you pull apart something, and extract metaphors and symbols if you need to make shallow assumptions to get you through? By the way, none of this is directed at you, xLiemx. Althought i disagree with you that Twilight includes 'refreshing ideas'. Its simply a mix of Gothicism and cheesy teenage literature, which has been done before.
Many times.

Your comments on Austen and Bronte are a bit narrow-minded. Fair enough, it's your opinion, but that's like a big fuck you to a plethora of literary scholars and critics. Fair enough, they may seem boring to you. But don't expect the whole world to agree with you.

PS- 100th post. hooray!

Last edited:

odeonagrecianur

HSC
Stop demonstrating your own ignorance...

"romanticisms is restricted to the era and ideas of love imgaination and anti science. "

Go marry John Grisham if you love crime so much. Romanticism permeates many genres and doesn't always include the stereotypical themes which you have obviously listed.

Perhaps when you join the police force, you slovenly layabout, only having a slight inclination to reach up with your chubby-fat-hand/claw, to greedily grab a doughnut from some greasy box your collegues gave you out of pity, you might think back to the days of HSC Romanticism and what could have been...

But unfortunately its off to the pig factory for you, my temporary internet campanion.

HSC
Stop demonstrating your own ignorance...

"romanticisms is restricted to the era and ideas of love imgaination and anti science. "

Go marry John Grisham if you love crime so much. Romanticism permeates many genres and doesn't always include the stereotypical themes which you have obviously listed.

Perhaps when you join the police force, you slovenly layabout, only having a slight inclination to reach up with your chubby-fat-hand/claw, to greedily grab a doughnut from some greasy box your collegues gave you out of pity, you might think back to the days of HSC Romanticism and what could have been...

But unfortunately its off to the pig factory for you, my temporary internet campanion.
wtf? who said they loved crime so much?

starlight190

HSC
It's not that bad, really.

Wuthering Heights -
Exciting and engaging; fascinating characters (Heathcliff); impressionable scenes (beginning of Vol. 2); it's just one of those books that they tell you to read before you die.

quote]

... Yes well, I could barely get through the first 7 chapters and relied on chapter summaries. Managed to pass though lol:)

xLiemx

HSC
I have read Twilight. Only the first novel. I don't hate it, but i can't say i loved it. You hit the nail on the head when you said 'average'. Twilight IS designed as a story for an average teenage audience, which is exactly why it can't be incorporated into education! It seems noone wants to push themselves, or break free from what they find comfortable. Twilight lacks depth. Most people agree on that (even some dire Edward Cullen-lovers in my class). How do you pull apart something, and extract metaphors and symbols if you need to make shallow assumptions to get you through? By the way, none of this is directed at you, xLiemx. Althought i disagree with you that Twilight includes 'refreshing ideas'. Its simply a mix of Gothicism and cheesy teenage literature, which has been done before.
Many times.

Your comments on Austen and Bronte are a bit narrow-minded. Fair enough, it's your opinion, but that's like a big fuck you to a plethora of literary scholars and critics. Fair enough, they may seem boring to you. But don't expect the whole world to agree with you.

PS- 100th post. hooray!

not saying it should be included in education. its no where near close to having the appropriate stuff to be on a school level. and yes twilight is designed for non hardcore readers thus it is successful.

i just think people should not bad mouth a book that isnt up to their standards. i don't like the austens as you say but i don't think their books are not at my taste either. still i will not say they are bad books.

i just think northanger abbey is difficult to tolerate and most romanticism are quite unrealistic. but hey it ain't a bad book for those who enjoy stories romantic but unrealistic.

hoping wuthering heights aint as bad...

overrall....yes i am pretty much sticking up to all those literature scholars. and i hate reading long novels that are not in my taste. but people should not bad mouth a book they don't like and not many people will agree with me on this.

i guess what i'm saying is...

i'm an ace student from advance to ext 1 and 2 and is kicking the english department's ass.

and i think twilight is better than northanger abbey....

there is no betta way to stick it up to literature scholars than those two sentences right there....

now if only my physics marks improved i could say newton was better than einstein.

not many know this but e=mc^2 is actually the formulae for the nuke

MzBiiBii

HSC
*sigh* I think due to my dislike of Romanticism, it has now become my worst subject... :S

I just find the poems so....... boring? And i didn't really like possession...took me forever to read. In the hsc, is there going to be a creative qn for Romanticism? :confused:

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
*sigh* I think due to my dislike of Romanticism, it has now become my worst subject... :S

I just find the poems so....... boring? And i didn't really like possession...took me forever to read. In the hsc, is there going to be a creative qn for Romanticism? :confused:
That's half the exam paper! We have to write an Imaginative Response *sigh*
I used to like Extension 1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)