ATTENTION! What UAI and COURSE do i need? (1 Viewer)

BlackDragon

HSC
Sorry i've looked for these in a few UAC or QTAC guides but i don't know what course i need.
if i wanted to become a

Diplomat
or
A geographic reporter (e.g. one that does stories in different countries)
or
An astronomer

what courses will i need to do, what options do i have and what UAI's will i need?

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
BlackDragon said:
Sorry i've looked for these in a few UAC or QTAC guides but i don't know what course i need.
if i wanted to become a

Diplomat
or
or
An astronomer

what courses will i need to do, what options do i have and what UAI's will i need?
for the first (and maybe second one) you could do international studies ("relations" for ANU) at:
ANU- 90
UNSW- 90.2
USYD- 91
MU- new course
go to these UNIs websites and read up on the courses to get a feel for what they offer and what suits your aspirations.

rhapsody11

HSC
N/A
BlackDragon said:
if i wanted to become a

Diplomat
or
or
An astronomer

Anything,

Anything,

A science degree with a major in astronomy. Edit: Clearly you haven't really figured it out. The professions you've listed are very glamerous on the outside, but I'd bet they'd be really boring. Something like a reporter requires years of zero income with huge amounts of work. To be an astronomer, you'd already have very impressive skills in science and math. There is really no such thing as 'a diplomat', any more than there is such a thing as 'a lawyer' - the range of actual careers depends hugely. Generally, diplomats have a background in international relations and law. Usually, they'd have experience overseas and would usually be trilingual at worst.

fleepbasding said:
go to these UNIs websites and read up on the courses to get a feel for what they offer and what suits your aspirations.
Do you know what course and UAI I would need to be an

astronaut​
or​
dictator​
or​
CIA agent?​

Last edited:

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
rhapsody11 said:
Anything,

Anything,

A science degree with a major in astronomy. Edit: Clearly you haven't really figured it out. The professions you've listed are very glamerous on the outside, but I'd bet they'd be really boring. Something like a reporter requires years of zero income with huge amounts of work. To be an astronomer, you'd already have very impressive skills in science and math. There is really no such thing as 'a diplomat', any more than there is such a thing as 'a lawyer' - the range of actual careers depends hugely. Generally, diplomats have a background in international relations and law. Usually, they'd have experience overseas and would usually be trilingual at worst.

astronaut​
or​
dictator​
or​
CIA agent?​
yeah, don't know why you've quoted me, I was just giving some suggestions. I was and am completely aware of the glamorous nature of the careers stated, but I don't think it's right to immediately assume the poster is delusional.

I don't know what you mean by "there's no such thing as a diplomat". There are those who work in the dimlomatic area, those who work for DFAT on overseas postings at consulates and embassies. I think, in most peoples minds, such positions would qualify as diplomatic.

EDIT- After re-reading your post, I see you mean that there are wide ranges of careers within foriegn relations. I still think 'diplomat' is a workable descriptor for those working for DFAT in embassies or consulates.

Last edited:

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
rhapsody11 said:

astronaut​
or​
dictator​
or​
CIA agent?​
Dictator: Arts (Major in Political Studies)

CIA Agent: Arts (Major in Terrorism)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
rhapsody11 said:

astronaut​
or​
dictator​
or​
CIA agent?​
A rocket

A penchant for fucking things up

An arts degree and a really small penis

BlackDragon

HSC
mate...

rhapsody11 said:
Anything,

Anything,

astronaut​
or​
dictator​
or​
CIA agent?​
mate...i am bi-lingual and i am very good at maths and science so don't mock me by saying "what do i need to be to a CIA agent??" type thing. i mean, i was being general because most courses have a general path into various careers. ergo, if i had of said something really specific you probably would have said the same course.

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
Word on the street is that ASIO recruits from the Arabic, Asian Studies and Indonesian departments of major universities. Last year, it seems 2 honours students from my uni went to work down in Canberra, one for ASIO and one for OSCAR. Have fun :)

starbaaa

Untalkative Member
HSC
ManlyChief said:
Word on the street is that ASIO recruits from the Arabic, Asian Studies and Indonesian departments of major universities. Last year, it seems 2 honours students from my uni went to work down in Canberra, one for ASIO and one for OSCAR. Have fun :)
Yeah, I've heard that if you want to get into ASIO-type work, you can't go wrong with Indonesian.

rhapsody11

HSC
N/A
ManlyChief said:
Word on the street is that ASIO recruits from the Arabic, Asian Studies and Indonesian departments of major universities.
Makes sense.

Personally, I'd take Chinese and Arabic, then Indonesian. Although I look too aryan, so I'd have to learn more Euro languages.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
rhapsody11 said:
Makes sense.

Personally, I'd take Chinese and Arabic, then Indonesian. Although I look too aryan, so I'd have to learn more Euro languages.
Japanese, Chinese, Indonesian and Gaelic are my languages of choice. But I don't see a need for Gaelic speaking ASIO officers :(

rhapsody11

HSC
N/A
poloktim said:
Japanese, Chinese, Indonesian and Gaelic are my languages of choice. But I don't see a need for Gaelic speaking ASIO officers :(
Hmm, Japanese people are so passive-aggressive, I really wouldn't see a point of sticking ASIO officers over there.

'*Bows at John Howard* Very pleased to meet you, Howard-san. [In Japanese]: Stupid ignorant fool, look at him smile at me! Let's speak in Japanese infront of him and pretend we're not gossiping about how good his wife is in bed, or how terrible Australia's beef is. But we will never invade. We don't want their inferior land with their unecessarily large doorways.'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)