Attitudes of Religions to War??? (1 Viewer)

flosh's gurl

does anyone know about the religious opinions or impact with regards to war??? i can find heaps on conscription but none on their attitudes to war.

kaseita

well there's quite a bit on WW1&2
in WW1, most denominations supported the war. the protestants, cause they wanted to support the home country, england, and the catholics, to show their support, to avoid conflict with the protestants and the people. They felt a need to show their support, after having conflicted with the protestants so much on other issues, and in so doing, created a bad reputation for themselves. It was a way to prove themselves.
in WW2, much the same thing I think. the protestants of course were supporting the home country, and the axis were threatening australia. not sure what the catholics were thinking.
course you've always got the radicals, who were against the wars, and were against conscription, on both sides. the majority of the catholic population were against war in both, but the church itself supported it.
that's all I can remember. i'd better go over it again.

CoYLiE

if you're looking at vietnam, you could look at the dilema faced concerning their support or non-support for the war effort...
firstly, they could support the war effort, but then they would be supporting the killing of lives
but, if they didn't support the war effort, in effect they would be supporting a communist regime which seemed to have the same effect on the loss of human lives...

so in that respect, there would have been great variance in the tradition's attitudes towards war because of the ethical dilema they were facing

in one of the textbooks it said that the protestants went to ww1 and 2 because they saw it as a holy war thats weird coz i know the only tradition that goes in to holy wars is islam i.e. jihad

kaseita

the protestant church made it out to be like a holy war against the evil germans/nazis
but the true "holy war" were the crusades, because they were out to reclaim Jerusalem, the home of christ

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)