Attn: BIO class of 06 (1 Viewer)

K

katie_tully

Hey, I'll try again.

I understand the stresses of BIO in the HSC, and I would really like to help any of you that are stressed to the max.

It takes me too long to surf the forums, but if you have a bio question that you're stumped with, you can email me at:
katiesquires@gmail.com

I check my emails daily.

I am currently doing science at university and I an majoring in Biology.
I did Communication as my election topic for the HSC, but I am doing biotechnology at university also.

So. :)

Dr_Doom

HSC
wow, how many hours of study did you do a day?

K

katie_tully

Haha.
Well for biology I did a lot, but that's because I enjoyed it.
Apart from that I wasn't into studying much. And my UAI reflects that ;)

In the month leading up the HSC, I was doing probably 6 hours a day.

Dr_Doom

HSC
Holy moly! Ummn what text books did you use? Excel? Cambridge?

K

katie_tully

I had the Excel BIO, and the "Revise HSC Biology in a Month".

www.hsc.csu.edu.au is also really good. It has notes under the syllabus, to help you revise.

Basically I just tried to learn the syllabus off by heart.

Ellie_Belly

HSC
I'm really stressed about bio. I came home from school at like 9.30 today, because I only had one lesson. Then I was supposed to read my notes.
Anyway, I ended up reading not even half of them, there was just too much. I have way over 60 pages, and it makes me sick. 6 days till the half-yearly.
I don't know what to do.
I mean, all I can do is my best.
But I get really upset when I'm too stressed to even read through my notes.

K

katie_tully

Stress less.

I did shit in the HSC, and it's not that bad. Many avenues for you to go through, if you don't get your desired marks.

Ellie_Belly

HSC
katie_tully said:
Stress less.

I did shit in the HSC, and it's not that bad. Many avenues for you to go through, if you don't get your desired marks.
I know, but try telling my parents that. They put me under too much pressure.

ishq

brown?
HSC
Biology = Last minute Cramming.

Dr_Doom

HSC
You have 6 days left lol! Thats heaps, just go over the REVIEW BIO IN A MONTH book and cambridge and you'll be right. Thats a good idea about learning the syllabus of by heart ;)

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
My bio half yearly is tomorrow morning. Maintaining a Balance and three fifths of Blueprint of Life will be in it. I think we are running behind, kind of worrysome :S

Wish me luck

miss india

HSC
Gosh ppl!!!!
i had like 5 days to study for my half yrly bio exam and i did not study for it......quite obvious!!
but now i cant understand some of the questions!!!
the DNA crap is so confusing....
i mean is this how it is or is it different?>???
cell--> nucleus-->chromosome-->genes-->DNA-->nucliec acids--> sugar phosphates and base pairs... which are ATG and C..
moreover, during meiosis, the chromosomes randomly assort and seggregate....
but b4 that the DNA replicates and makes 2 DNA and this happens only in the sex cells.
i am sorry for the longgggg post but i am too confused..
actually i wanted to type in more stuff....... but then i thought i might be confusing u guys also!!!!
plz help with this hell!!!!
thanks.

k_stroud22

UAI 2006 83.70
HSC
i just had my bio. exam this morning!!! it was reasonable; some questions were hard in it though! i'm in the top 4 for my course though... hopefully i did well. its my fave subject and i studied so much for it. :)

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
Ahh nicely done k_stroud22.

Our bio exam wasn't hard at all. Should be able to net 65/70 allowing 5 marks for nitpicky errors in the longer assess, evaluate and first hand investigation style questions. Whats got me worried a bit though, is that a student in the other biology class said their teacher (who is also marking the paper) would not mark any writing not on the lines provided for the question. I.e, if you crossed out 2 lines due to mistake and your subsequent answer overshot the provided lines by 2, those lines would not be marked. I don't recall being told this, neither does anyone from our class, so I'm taking it with a grain of salt. Is it true that in the biology HSC exam they only mark what is on the immediate lines and nothing else?

miss india

HSC
that doesnt answer my question!!!
can anyone plz tell me whether this is right or not???
my exam is tomoro!
plz.

Dr_Doom

HSC
miss india said:
Gosh ppl!!!!
i had like 5 days to study for my half yrly bio exam and i did not study for it......quite obvious!!
but now i cant understand some of the questions!!!
the DNA crap is so confusing....
i mean is this how it is or is it different?>???
cell--> nucleus-->chromosome-->genes-->DNA-->nucliec acids--> sugar phosphates and base pairs... which are ATG and C..
moreover, during meiosis, the chromosomes randomly assort and seggregate....
but b4 that the DNA replicates and makes 2 DNA and this happens only in the sex cells.
i am sorry for the longgggg post but i am too confused..
actually i wanted to type in more stuff....... but then i thought i might be confusing u guys also!!!!
plz help with this hell!!!!
thanks.

No the order is this

bases > nucleotide > gene > DNA > chromosome > actually I don't even know if thats right.. Your talkin about meiosis?

This is process of meiosis:
A part of the DNA in nucleus unwinds
Free floating bases attach to the unwinded section
The section breaks off from DNA and this is called mRNA, DNA winds back up.
mRNA moves out of nucleus into cytoplasm where it meets up with ribosomes.
Ribosomes bring down the tRNA which holds an amino acid. This is known as an anticodon. The anticodons attach to the codons on the mRNA.
The amino acids make a chain called a polypeptide chain.
A group of polypeptide chains forms a protein
A enzyme is a protein.

So Basically.
gene > mRNA > ribosomes > codons > amino acids > polypeptide chain > protein.

GOOD LUCK :D

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
Well, DNA replication is more to do with mitosis, while meoisis results in the production of four haploid gametes. However, the process of meoisis does intially require the duplication of chromosomes and hence DNA replication.

Nitrogen base + deoxyribose sugas + phosphate group = nucleotide.

Several nucleotides = gene. Nucleotides also make up DNA.

Therefore because nucleotides comprise DNA, a gene is a short segment of DNA.

DNA makes up 40% of chromosomes, of which 60% is the protein histone. So generally, chromosomes are made up of many distinct and different genes (as hypothesised by our good friend Boveri).

Chromosomes are found in the nucleus.

*I don't really know what you are asking, it was kind of a jumble of different concepts, so I figured I'd throw this in to compliment Dr Doom

Last edited:

Wilsmore

HSC
Hi katie_tully,

I tried emailing you as you suggested...but even after a few kicks my computer still wouldn't cooperate.

I can't understand an underlying issue with Protein Synthesis. How can a polypeptide ‘truly represent’ a series of codon sequences when not all of the DNA sequencing is transcripted onto the mRNA? What I mean is, how can mRNA create a realistic complimentary sequence to the DNA when only the exon of the DNA is transcripted?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)