attn: CURRENT uni students (1 Viewer)

fon

HSC
I wish to do communication and media (journalism) at UOW but fell short 15 points in my UAI so this is my dilemma.. Should i try for B Arts majoring in media and then try for an internal transfer after a year or what ever OR go to tafe and do comm and media there and then try to transfer after a year. PLEASE give your input, it'd be much appreciated!

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
First contact UOW regarding your degree. They might let you.

If not, internal transfer. Enrol in any degree you can and transfer after a year. Once you're in, it's much easier to change what you want to study.

As an Arts student, you'll be able to follow the degree structure for Communication and Media (for the most part) which means you can prove to the sub-dean (associate dean (undergraduate studies)) that you can do the course. Also, for the most part, the Arts sub dean (current) is rather good. I don't think you'll have much issues with him.

In summary: get into uow, year of work, internal transfer is by far the better idea in my opinion.

nwatts

HSC
15 points?
are you sure it's the right thing for you?

if so do arts, get up soild marks, transfer.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
nwatts said:
15 points?
are you sure it's the right thing for you?

if so do arts, get up soild marks, transfer.
Does UAI measure ability?
Does my UAI tell me what course is best for me? =\

nwatts

HSC
poloktim said:
Does UAI measure ability?
Does my UAI tell me what course is best for me? =\
ability? no. effort? yes.

communications requires effort.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
nwatts said:
ability? no. effort? yes.

communications requires effort.
No other university degree requires effort? Arts and Computer Science were the wrong choices for me then, because I've had to work my arse off.

Recently I saw friends graduate with Distinction, or go onto their Honours year, and most of them didn't score the UAI required to get into UOW for that course. In most cases were more than ten points below the cutoff.

Effort? My arse.

nwatts

HSC
what the hell? did i say that other degrees didn't require effort? he's 15 points below and i'm questioning if he should be at uni.

the more you study for the hsc, the better you go. you can be a dropkick and go study crazy and get a ripping uai. just like most uni degrees i hear, however i have experience with communications, so i mentioned it. this has been the opposite to my other degree, which is far more weighted towards favouring natural talent.

now fuck off

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
nwatts said:
what the hell? did i say that other degrees didn't require effort? he's 15 points below and i'm questioning if he should be at uni.

the more you study for the hsc, the better you go. you can be a dropkick and go study crazy and get a ripping uai. just like most uni degrees i hear, however i have experience with communications, so i mentioned it. this has been the opposite to my other degree, which is far more weighted towards favouring natural talent.

now fuck off
That's utter shite nwatts. I know a few people who have scored high UAI's with no real effort put in, including one individual who did sweet fuck all most of the year including exam stuvac, and managed 99.85. The reason your point is shite, it's because it's all about worth, not work. Just because you put 2000 hours into something, it doesn't mean it'll be good.

So nwatts, are you saying all those people who enter uni via tafe aren't worthy of their positions? So my friend who just finished her masters in international relations after getting a 47 UAI is still not a success in your book?

fon

HSC
Well i got 75 uai but that was because my maths teachers literally came to class and explained how they "just learnt the topic last night so forgive me if i have trouble teaching it" in conjunction with me not working to even 50% of my potential. Every teacher in my classes told me that I should be topping the year and my year adviser has nothing but praise for my abilities so seriously, i have no dramas when deciding whether i not i have the ability and i know il be more committed at uni. This thread wasnt created for that discussion anyway, it was asking which path is better in the journey to my preferred course.

Thanks for the positive advise all.. further advise would be greatly appreciated :)

fon

HSC
and the uai isnt smply based on crazy study mark for the hsc.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Definitely just get into uow and then internal transfer, the internal transfer system is simple and fairly easy to move around with. If you need any help, just pm me since I've transfered way too many times for my own good and know most things about the system.

Oh, and we know the thread wasn't meant for our previous discussions, but we'll use most threads to rectify foolish comments made by certain individuals.

nwatts

HSC
Raiks said:
That's utter shite nwatts. I know a few people who have scored high UAI's with no real effort put in, including one individual who did sweet fuck all most of the year including exam stuvac, and managed 99.85. The reason your point is shite, it's because it's all about worth, not work. Just because you put 2000 hours into something, it doesn't mean it'll be good.

So nwatts, are you saying all those people who enter uni via tafe aren't worthy of their positions? So my friend who just finished her masters in international relations after getting a 47 UAI is still not a success in your book?
haha, what?

you're fully entitled to refute what i have to say, but at least address what i wrote. your friend not a success? what? she's doing a masters, which often isn't dependent on how well you go in your undergraduate degree, so for all i know she could have scraped a pass the whole time. and in either case, what does that have to do with anything?

mrincredible

Superhero In Training
HSC
hey im in a similar position but im only 3.25 uai points off last yr's cutoff
do you think i have a good chance of getting in straight off (same course as the topic starter in fact!)
who would i talk to??
i'm going to options day next week, is there anyone i could talk to there??
thanks for ur help, appreciate it

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
nwatts said:

now fuck off
To that post in general, I say:

............................................________
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?......................................................\,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:”........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

I know people who do computer science and were well below the UAI. They're the ones who graduated with Distinction or are doing Honours.

the more you study for the hsc, the better you go. you can be a dropkick and go study crazy and get a ripping uai.
I call bullshit. This statement hits close to home for me. I did little work for my HSC year. While I had excuses, they were poor and fail. I ended up with a UAI much more than was needed for my degrees. Somebody close to me studied all year eleven and twelve. Every day head is in the books, summarys, recitiations, resummaries, etc etc etc. This person almost got half my UAI. You're full of shit when you or anybody else says this.

As for the rest... really.
University degrees have required components of academic study. If I *naturally* know about computers, I might still not be able to recite some random useless fact that comes up in the exam.

Now as for telling me to fuck off...
............................................________
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?......................................................\,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:”........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)