ATTN: Those who have done 14U in PrelimHSC (1 Viewer)

omgshquyen

HSC
N/A
Hi.

Now that I've got your attention, I have a quick question. These are my subjects:

Business Studies
English Advanced
IPT
Legal Studies
Mathematics
Modern History
Studies of Religion II

Which count up to a total of 14 units. I'm concerned about the workload; I'm interested in participating in the mock trial and I still want to maintain a social life, even if it's just a little. Is it overwhelming? What's the routine teachers sort of drill you in within the first few weeks? I'm looking for some advice as to whether or not I should beg my way to 13 units (exchange Business for something else) or just stick with it. I'm afraid that I'm going to spread myself out too thin if I keep 14... so help please!

I'm fairly sure that I won't be receiving any free periods, since we still do sport in Year 11.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Well it's good to go into yr 11 with as wide a smorgasboard of subjects. You can afford the risk, it's all about getting a good subject set for you in yr 12.

So I didn't do 14 units myself (see 13) but I had a friend do 14. He kept them all for about a term and a half.

See I don't envisage you keeping them all the way through yr 11. Trying for a term and then dropping your least favourite. Unless there's a one unit subject you actually want to swap Business for.

omgshquyen

HSC
N/A
I see. Well, the thing is I don't have the option of dropping a subject down to 12 units after a term and a half... so I kind of need to decide earlier between Business and Legal Studies. I originally had 13 Units because I chose SOR1, but I didn't do any 1 Unit subjects which is why told me to pick a 1 Unit subject or SOR2. I didn't really want to spread myself out on 8 subjects so I decided to go with SOR2.

What's harder, Business or Legal Studies?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I see. Well, the thing is I don't have the option of dropping a subject down to 12 units after a term and a half... so I kind of need to decide earlier between Business and Legal Studies. I originally had 13 Units because I chose SOR1, but I didn't do any 1 Unit subjects which is why told me to pick a 1 Unit subject or SOR2. I didn't really want to spread myself out on 8 subjects so I decided to go with SOR2.

Depends on the person.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A

Both are heavily weighted subjects when it comes to studying. Business Studies gives you insight to all commerce industries whereas Legal Studies stick to one and for Legal Studies (during Prelim) you need to know a lot of cases to back up your answers if you wish for a 90% and over ~ I only remembered a few and got 87% overall in the report for Legal Studies.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm confused, you can drop subjects anytime in Prelim as long as you keep min 12 units?

But with Business or Legal, which is easier. They kinda have similar difficulty, it's pretty split over people finding one harder. Not doing both, but hearing from friends I'd say I'd find Business easier BUT I'm in a family of business owners so all that stuff I've grown up with.

omgshquyen

HSC
N/A
Depends on the person.
Well, I don't know ;-;. I have an older sister who did LS and she pretty much aced all of her assignments. She keeps constantly saying "Oh, why are you doing Legal? I never pictured you as a law person."

The reason why I chose Business is just in case I don't want to go into something techy, but I hear that the Business you study in High School is completely differently from what you learn in University.

So yes, she is also influencing my decision on as to which subject I should keep.

Both are heavily weighted subjects when it comes to studying. Business Studies gives you insight to all commerce industries whereas Legal Studies stick to one and for Legal Studies (during Prelim) you need to know a lot of cases to back up your answers if you wish for a 90% and over ~ I only remembered a few and got 87% overall in the report for Legal Studies.
Well, I'm good at memorising things quite easily, which is why I'm doing Modern History and have no Sciences. Science that was taught in Year 10 really put me off, I had a lousy teacher who kept drawing animal diagrams... whenever she tried to explain something she sounded like this. A casual teacher was teaching us what we had to know for the SC.

I'm confused, you can drop subjects anytime in Prelim as long as you keep min 12 units?

But with Business or Legal, which is easier. They kinda have similar difficulty, it's pretty split over people finding one harder. Not doing both, but hearing from friends I'd say I'd find Business easier BUT I'm in a family of business owners so all that stuff I've grown up with.
Yeah, things work a bit differently when you go to a Catholic School. At my old school, you could only do 12 units unless you did SOR 2 and an extension. I can tell you that some are pretty screwed up.

My friend wanted to change Chemistry to Biology (as they clashed), and upon seeing the subject coordinator she suggested her to pick Ancient History. She replied no, as she didn't want to do three HSIE subjects (she already had Modern History, Society and Culture). The subject coordinator then said something along these lines "Now now, let's not forget that Society and Culture is not a HSIE subject."

What the hell, right? Good lord I just wanted to shove some sushi up her f**king ass. It's an inside joke, PM me if you want to know why.

I'm not sure about the other school I'm going to attend in Year 11/12, but I'm fairly sure they're going to say no unless I change some of my subjects dramatically. As in, replace a 2 U for an extension. I'm not very fond of English or Mathematics, and I sure as hell don't want to see it any more than I have to.

However before changing my subjects I will consult the subject coordinator to inquire whether or not I can drop a subject halfway through the year.

Thank you for all of your feedback into my dilemma, I'm trying to look at previous papers as such... but printed words can only tell you so much. I'm just going to have to wait it out until School begins, and come to a final decision that will benefit me.

Last edited:

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh wow that's a very weird state of affairs.

When you check with subject coordinator, maybe we can help give you some more specific advice. But it appears you are a more humanities persn, so you'd probably enjoy Business and Legal.

HSC
N/A
I'm doing business & legal atm, and I would probably say that business is a tad easier.. but I enjoy legal 679546x more because it's so much more interesting (but then again I've always been interested in law so I'm a bit biased).

If you're looking towards a business related field like commerce, you should probably pick business though. My sister did business in Year 12 and is now doing it at UTS and says that year 12 business actually does help you. :)

jnney

lemon
HSC
I did 14U for about a week. I dropped religion asap after that. haha, too much work for me.

omgshquyen

HSC
N/A
Oh wow that's a very weird state of affairs.

When you check with subject coordinator, maybe we can help give you some more specific advice. But it appears you are a more humanities persn, so you'd probably enjoy Business and Legal.
Yep. I could say more but I'll keep that under the lid for now.

I'm doing business & legal atm, and I would probably say that business is a tad easier.. but I enjoy legal 679546x more because it's so much more interesting (but then again I've always been interested in law so I'm a bit biased).

If you're looking towards a business related field like commerce, you should probably pick business though. My sister did business in Year 12 and is now doing it at UTS and says that year 12 business actually does help you. :)
Okay this is sort of good, kind of leaning into Legal a bit. If what is being taught is interesting and I'm good at it, I don't mind studying properly for it. Business is my back up. It's just in case I start to hate learning how to code or programme or whatever. If I end up dropping it I don't mind, since most of their pre-requisites are Mathematics.

I did 14U for about a week. I dropped religion asap after that. haha, too much work for me.
Yeah... I don't have the option of dropping SOR2, it's compulsory ;-;.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)