ATTN: Thread (econ vs. comm vs. arts?) (1 Viewer)

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
ps I posted this in the general uni discussion for commerce/business. Decided to post here because the majority of comm/law graduates seem to come from UNSW :s I have also edited thread title in submission to moonlightsonata's authority but :eek:

Well i'm not too sure if anybody will have a verifiable answer to my question/s but any insight would be appreciated.

1) Assume person A has scored the entry mark possible to study either commerce (or business in some unis) and economics. Even if they're major is in economics, why wouldn't they study this under commerce/business; doesn't it normally have a higher cut off than economics?

2) In contrast to above, after doing some research i've found that a commerce degree didn't seem to exist in Australian universities 20 years back (only economics). In that case, does it make an economics degree more prestigious? I aim to study either arts/LLB or commerce/LLB eventually, but if i was to major in economics, for some reason is economics/law 'better'?

I ask this only because i spoke to an associate of Jonathan Bonnitcha a while back (great guy, he won a rhodes scholarship doing economics/law at usyd) and it seems if you do want to focus on law in the future, an economics degree is looked upon as a greater asset than commerce.

In my own view economics does have a ring to it: you can be an economist or lawyer! If you did arts you don't become an 'artist' and likewise for commerce.

So in summary what do the good people of bos think about econ/llb vs. comm/llb vs. BA/llb?

Thanks again for those who can put my mind to rest.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
JFK said:
It depends on what you wanna do with your degree.

Whether you wanna get into the commercial industries?

Whether you wanna be a lawyer?

What type of lawyer you want to become?
Hey brogan.

I started off my degree wanting to work in finance and/or marketing.

But after looking through my work experience files and notes by John Marsden (yes i'm a fucking sook) i realised i wanted to work something in law. Most likely contracts as it appears one has to have a competent grasp of english and linguistics.

Anyway cool, hope that 800k yearly salary job is looking up :)

bboyelement

HSC
just remember you only learn 50% in uni the rest is in the real world through exp...
employers only care about your degree for your first job after graduation.

your salary will depend on your experience, the effort you put in and your social ability to deal with clients. A Phd degree doesnt guarantee 500k salary.

but to answer your question economics is similar to commerce if you want to major in economics at UNSW. but say if you want to do accounting with finance then do commerce.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
bboyelement said:
just remember you only learn 50% in uni the rest is in the real world through exp...
employers only care about your degree for your first job after graduation.

your salary will depend on your experience, the effort you put in and your social ability to deal with clients. A Phd degree doesnt guarantee 500k salary.

but to answer your question economics is similar to commerce if you want to major in economics at UNSW. but say if you want to do accounting with finance then do commerce.
This thread is old, but anyway a PhD degree never guaranteed a 500k salary. In fact the converse is normally true.

Also i'm leaving commerce, economics next year. After scoring 90+ in my english subjects this semester, i am most definitely doing BA and hopefully BA / LLB next year.

Thanks must be to ash though, and hope his group mark goes ok :(

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
Bobness said:
This thread is old, but anyway a PhD degree never guaranteed a 500k salary. In fact the converse is normally true.

Also i'm leaving commerce, economics next year. After scoring 90+ in my english subjects this semester, i am most definitely doing BA and hopefully BA / LLB next year.

OMGz It's Bob!

That is all.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Bobness said:

In retrospect, if you are humanities-focused and still deciding whether an Arts/Law degree has credibility, then let me assure you it does.

Every current High Court Judge with a combined degree has one in Arts.

While future earning potential is always a major issue with all new undergraduates, from my personal experience in commerce: if you do not have the passion or at least the perseverance to work through a generic BBus/Comm, then any extra employability that a Bcomm/LLB would have over a BA/LLB is nullified.

See all cool kids doing Arts / Law at UNSW in a bit over a month :D

Conspirocy

HSC
Old topic but if we are looking at com/law or ec/law at unsw specifically there is a reason why people do com/law instead of ec/law if they want to major in economics.

A lot of law students just want to do theory in economics and so they avoid doing some of the compulsory units in econometrics if they do a bcom instead of a b ec.

As for the wider debate about economics and law, I personally think that economics out of most of the business majors compliments law very well if you want to work in law. You learn research skills, you learn how markets work and you get writing practice of a commercial nature. A lot of laws are made with economics justifications or have economic implications, so an understanding of economics is pretty useful. Maybe that's why some would regard economics law students as pretty good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)