Audiology Discussion (1 Viewer)

YL95

HSC
Hi, can anyone give some insight into the program Master of Clinical Audiology in MQ? I am pretty sure I will pursue a career in audiology, and MQ is the only uni in NSW providing audiological course. The hearing hub on campus is under construction and global headquarters of Cochlear has relocated to the campus as well. All of those sound attractive and I assume the environment for audiology education is thriving. I want to hear from anyone who knows something about the program. Are the teaching stuff experienced and helpful? Since audiology is a science-based program, I hope the lectures would be interesting enough to motivate the students.

I know MQ is a great uni, but compared with University of Melbourne which also has a clinical audiology program, which one provides the better teaching quality?

Thanks. :)

Begbie4017

HSC
I have 6 weeks to go in Audiology Masters at Mac. Australian audiologists are some of the best in the world. They are really well known so any audiology course is very respected everywhere but the US (where you need a doctorate). Melb has a slightly better reputation than NSW because of the dept it is situated in.Plus it is free. At Mac the Masters costs about $35k.
Masters in Audiology is intense. The workload and lectures are very intense compared to undergrad. Dont expect to have much of a social life for 2 years. First year is an absolute killer. 2nd year is nmore counselling and community rather than hard science.
You will need to do 250 contact hours in different clinics (you go for a week at a time) and learn to be an audiologist.
Lectures are 3 hours long, we do Mon, Thurs & Fri 9-5 (2 hour break for lunch) for 6 weeks then break to go on placement.
Most of the class have jobs already, we had job interviews in July. I love the work it self, the study not so much. The lectures are not all interesting, it is hard for things to be interesting for 3 hours at a time ...Hope that is a bit helpful :)

Atlas

HSC
N/A
The Hearing Hub is due for completion next year (sorry, not an audiology student).

YL95

HSC
Hi Begbie, thanks for your first hand information. Very helpful :D

YL95

HSC
The Hearing Hub is due for completion next year (sorry, not an audiology student).
Yeah. Then audiology students can benefit from the resources it offers.:)

Atlas

HSC
N/A
Yeah. Then audiology students can benefit from the resources it offers.:)
Even though I'm not an audiology student, I like looking at all the new buildings springing up around campus :)

YL95

HSC
Even though I'm not an audiology student, I like looking at all the new buildings springing up around campus :)
It is always exciting to see something new and trendy.:)

Begbie4017

HSC
There is an audiology clinic on campus. You can ask to obeserve appointments for a morning and talk to the audiologist (or your local audiologist might let you sit in).There are info nights that have been recorded somewhere on the mac uni site..I forgot to mention that we have to be interns when we finish the Masters. There are only 2 employers that are taking interns for next year and I would say half of the jobs are out of Sydney (we are paid extra to relocate). So for one year we are supervised after finishing Masters. Then we can work anywhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)