Audition/Competition at Syd Con and UNSW (1 Viewer)

Sammi B

HSC
Can someone tell me what the competition is like at Syd Con and/or UNSW for music? Is it really as crazy as people make it out to be? And,more importantly, what the auditions are like? I'm thinking about doing music education at either one.

Thanks
Sam

Sammi B

HSC
Sammi B said:
Can someone tell me what the competition is like at Syd Con and/or UNSW for music? Is it really as crazy as people make it out to be? And,more importantly, what the auditions are like? I'm thinking about doing music education at either one.

Thanks
Sam
Anybody..............?:wave:

babylupin

HSC
i don't know, i'm hoping to do the same course, and at either one of those unis...i've heard that for the teching side of the course UNSW is better, yet the con has a better practicle approach

I know that it is advised that you have at least grade 7 on an instrument, and either grade 6 theory, or musicionship, or Music course two...and extension always helps

The auditions are liek the AMEB exams apparently...and it's good to try and keep all your other subjects up, even though you don't techniqually need a UAI....that's my research extent atm! lol

Sammi B

HSC
babylupin said:
i don't know, i'm hoping to do the same course, and at either one of those unis...i've heard that for the teching side of the course UNSW is better, yet the con has a better practicle approach

I know that it is advised that you have at least grade 7 on an instrument, and either grade 6 theory, or musicionship, or Music course two...and extension always helps

The auditions are liek the AMEB exams apparently...and it's good to try and keep all your other subjects up, even though you don't techniqually need a UAI....that's my research extent atm! lol
Thanks for ur help. I appreciate it. Its hard to get into contact with someone who has done this course recently. I have sum info 4 u if u like that i found out the other day...apparently the whole music 1/2 and extension stuff kinda goes out the window about ur 3rd wk in coz ive been told everyone is outta their depth. lol But i spose it would still be better...if only my school offered music 2!!!!

thanks again

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
*waves*

I'd say the conservatorium is pretty hard to get into. What AMEB level are you and what instrument?

You don't have to have done Music 2 or Music in general in highschool, but some sort of AMEB training would be ideal.

What course are you trying to apply in?

If it gives you an idea, I got a letter from UNSW accepting me before my UAI was released. Or maybe I'm just hella hawt.

Sammi B

HSC
lol maybe u r. Atm, im studying 7th grade ameb on piano and im sitting my 4th grade musicianship exam in may. By the time the audition rolls round at the end of next yr, i would hav completed 7th grade and 5th or 6th grade musicianship. im looking into music education right now...just keeping my options open.

Sammi B

HSC
just trying to reopen this again...

anyone currently doing this degree at either uni...hows it goin? whats it like etc etc

thanks
sam

RJO1988

HSC
Basically in regards to the Con and UNSW... the Con is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY better in regards to the MusEd side... and Performance... and Composition... and Musicology... :D (you get the drift?). You hear that UNSW is like all acedemic and all which is great!! But you go to the Con and it's a totally different world!! It's a world of music... PURELY!! Also words (from the UNSW pplz) go around that the employment rate is higher when you graduate from UNSW music rather than the Con (mainly speaking about MusEd here). At the Con, you use to can do MusEd with Principal Study Major OR!! minor (so Principal Study is like... violin, piano, percussion, guitar... what ever you wanna do... only exceptions like composition... and jazz... you have to do Major). NOW!! the MusEd is even better (for those who wants to be working high school teachers...) cause the Education side of it is better and stronger but with that... you get a minor Principal Study. So Performance side of things with MusEd is a bit crapper now... (less lessons, less performance opportunities, less ensemble work and etc!). But not saying that people who does BMusEd is crap at what they play! Most of them are actually alright!! So back to the statement that the employment rate for teachers are higher from people who graduate from UNSW, is because they can't do anything else than become a teacher! But at the Con, we have a lesser rate of that because most of the people doing MusEd changes their mind after they graduate and wanna do Postgrad in Performance! or Composition! or Conducting! So don't listen to UNSW saying students that graduate from our School of Music gets employed at schools STRAIGHT after they graduate - cause that's just pure crap. The Con is exactly the same and even more!! We have the reputations and all. So audition for the Con!! if you don't make it... don't stress!! there is always the next year!! go to UNSW but make sure you transfer!! or have a gap year?

I do realise this is SUCH A BIAS message... but hay... feel free to humiliate me infront of the public if you want. All what I said is true... (back me up here Con pplz)

RJO1988

HSC
Oh and here comes my loud mouth again!! In regards to audition... it is pretty competative all arond the Units (departments). UAI... it says n/a... don't believe that. Get at least 85 + and you'll be good. If you are hella hawt like ur_inner_child ;) then you don't have to worry about UAI. :D But if you are like me, not as hella hawt as ur_inner_child, then you need to get a nice UAI (90 + would guarantee you a place I reckon?). I didn't make it the first time I tried out. I went to Tasmania (REALLY! crap... don't EVER god there!! even for AISOI!! >.<" gosh...) and did ALL the foundation subjects that the Sydney Con does in their first year courses... and 2nd year, I got in and transfered ALL!! of my subjects from Tasmania. So now I am a 2nd year with no 2nd year foundation subjects (Harmony, Aural, History... etc), just performance!! :D

So in a way I guess it is a bit hard to get in but don't be stressed about it!! You might have a bad batch that auditions!! (rarely?) and you'll stand out like nothing else!! You never know!!

Sammi B

HSC
My gosh thats amazing! thanks for all that info. Its just the audition requirements list IS extremely scary for the Con. So what is the calibre of musicians at either uni? Sorry to press for more info...

thanks again!

oh and do they tend to look down on the fact that i wont have done music 2 or 6th grade theory by then? 6th grade theory is a possibility, but music 2 definitely isnt...

RJO1988

HSC
Sammi B said:
My gosh thats amazing! thanks for all that info. Its just the audition requirements list IS extremely scary for the Con. So what is the calibre of musicians at either uni? Sorry to press for more info...

thanks again!

oh and do they tend to look down on the fact that i wont have done music 2 or 6th grade theory by then? 6th grade theory is a possibility, but music 2 definitely isnt...
I don't know in the audition if the look "down" on pplz who didn't do Music 2 and ext etc etc grades crap... but I know that once you are in... no one gives a darn if you did ext. mus and got 49/50 for it etc etc (that's quiet common at the Con) - so if you get my drift. I did BOTH (2 years in a row... same exam :p) of my enterance exam at the Con and I haven't and still don't have qualifications of grades for theory or musicianship and all that crap. So my point is... you don't need grades and theory and music 2 to get into the Con BUT! It'll probably make it easier for yourself to have done so... I have a friend who came 2nd in NSW for Music 1 and she got in... and she is BRILLIANT!! So... everything is possible!! nothing is impossible!!

The audition requirements are very scary for the Con yes. I auditioned for percussion minor last year and got into it with BMusEd. I GOT transfered (not that I wanted to) to major in 2nd semester because apparently I got enough points and marks to have gotten into major. So why not? I am a percussionist, I don't know how the other departments run their auditions (pretty much very ridgit and staright foward, what's required will be asked I reckon) but for percusison... I only had to play pieces for each instrument, got asked to play ONE scale that wasn't in the minor requirements (that was in the major), and no rudiments... AT ALL. But ALWAYS! prepare for the worst, that's why I didn't go for major because I wasn't prepared for the worst. So I went for minor.

The calibre of musicians... are generally pretty darn high. I am struggling myself (because I'm not one of those pplz) but you find odds here and there and lazy pplz who don't practise... but who can pull off their exams and performances in one go. So generally speaking about calibre... it's quiet high. If you want a comparison, I have a friend who got 50/50 for ext performance HSC and 97/100 for Music 2 HSC, she is BRILLIANT!! don't get me wrong. Back in high school, she was always on top with performance. When I saw her this year amongst all her friends and all... she's as brilliant as the others, she "doesn't stand out" anymore. Most people are brilliant at the Con. Not sure about UNSW. The UNSW Symphony Orchestra paid us Con Percussionist to play in their Concert, cause they don't have any percussionist. And they did that for most instruments to fill in. So there's an idea?

Sammi B

HSC
well well okie doke. so from that i can gauge i pretty much have no chance :p. yeah to be honest i really dont think im good enough for the Con, and thats not just modesty. thanku for all the info tho i will defintely keep all in mind. :)

RJO1988

HSC
Sammi B said:
well well okie doke. so from that i can gauge i pretty much have no chance :p. yeah to be honest i really dont think im good enough for the Con, and thats not just modesty. thanku for all the info tho i will defintely keep all in mind. :)
Hey!! Cmon, I thought to my self EXACTLY what you are thinking now - having no chance of getting in and all!! I'M SURE!! you are being modest!! (you can gauge pretty much from who's being a stuck up and not... and you are sure not one of them!! so I'm saying... modest!) GIVE IT A SHOT! What do you have to loose? if you get it, well done!! If you don't get in... there is always next year... AND ANYWAYS!! You have like a year to prepare so if you want it!! work your butt for it!! Generally... BMusEd students are "lower" standard (like me). So you should SO! go for it! okay?! GOOD! :D

Sammi B

HSC
RJO1988 said:
Hey!! Cmon, I thought to my self EXACTLY what you are thinking now - having no chance of getting in and all!! I'M SURE!! you are being modest!! (you can gauge pretty much from who's being a stuck up and not... and you are sure not one of them!! so I'm saying... modest!) GIVE IT A SHOT! What do you have to loose? if you get it, well done!! If you don't get in... there is always next year... AND ANYWAYS!! You have like a year to prepare so if you want it!! work your butt for it!! Generally... BMusEd students are "lower" standard (like me). So you should SO! go for it! okay?! GOOD! :D
thats lovely thanku. im still considering it, havent ruled it out completely. we'll see how we go. thanks so much for the info!!! keep anything and all coming.....

mad-triste

HSC
After all, there's also B Music Studies which isn't as intense as the B Mus (a more general music education), or you can even take your main instrument as a minor study. Or if you're good with other musical things you can take composition or musicology major, even in music ed, if you think your performance isn't up to scratch.

Arys

HSC
I know kids who go to Con High and kids who are in Con uni, and generally kids who want to go to the con: you have to remember that you are competing with people who have played their instruments for maybe more than 10 years, and can have their AMus and LMus. This is your competition. If you're a grade 6 player doing 4th grade musicianship you're going to have a hard time. If you get in, it'll be tricky for you. And apparently they don't even consider you if your ATAR is below 80. Straight from the horse's mouth
I realise this thread is really old, but this is for anyone else who might find it in the future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)