• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

audition/theory test 4 the con (1 Viewer)

Ritaann

UNSW here I come... late
HSC
Hi,
are there a set list or specific peices of music which we need to produce for the audition? If so, where would I find this list (reading the site at Sydney I somehow got the impression that there was a list... ) or, if I was able to choose my own material how many peices should I present/ how long is the audition ?

---> do they ask the obvious in the interview. ie. what interested you in music? why do you want to do music at the con? etc. ?

How competitive is it to get into the con, whilst I realise there would be a certain amont of those who are already practically gaurenteed a place, what would be the chance of a music 1 student who has completed grade 7, would be doing her grade 8 if it wasn't for the HSC in Nov. and is at grade 4 theory atm?

A crap load of questions, eh- thanks in advance to anyone who answers ;)
~Ritaann

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
You should contact the Chair of Unit for your instrument, and ask. Best place to start would be the Con Student Administration, which you can call at 9351 1241, 9351 1242, or 9351 1216.

The questions they will ask in the interview are designed not so much to see your musical ability, but more the suitability to the courses run at the Con, and they'll often be informal questions about your musical interests, your expectations from the course etc.

As for the music skills test, assumed knowledge is grade 5 Musicianship/Theory, and for the performance degrees usually AMEB grade 8 is about the standard expected. However, it's not so much your knowledge they're looking for, as much as how you apply what you Do know, and your ability to learn new information. I know a lot of people at the Con who couldn't do anything near Grade 5 theory/musicianship, yet are now very successful students.

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
Depending on which instrument you play/ wish to audition for. - you can check the website for perscribed/ compulsory pieces:

http://www.music.usyd.edu.au/FS/index.shtml

here is the link to the requirments for auditions:

http://www.music.usyd.edu.au/FS/undergrad/apply/auditions/brass.shtml

(don't worry if you aint a brassy- there's links for all the other things once on the page)

------

Music Skills/Theory test:

Average level.
Grade 4- I'm pretty sure you could pass this test! ^.^
well heck, i couldn't do the test, and still got in.. so meh.. its nothing really! '

Auditions:

they can last from 10 to about 20 minutes, then again it depends what you are auditioning for- major level auditions last a little longer, and if you are doing a 'performance' audition there is /no/ interview.
thats only for Bmus Ed, and Musicology, composition and the others!

they take about 150-170 Students a year, like for all the courses.. so don't stress bout it!
good luck if you decide to audition/apply!

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Until recently, the Con would only be taking around 300 students at any one time. With the new building though, they are now accepting around 150-180 students a year, and the number should peak next year at around 800, including postgrads, but not Arts Music or Con High students.

Ritaann

UNSW here I come... late
HSC
Phanatical said:
I'm not quite sure. Around 700-750.
So, what my chances have increased :D .. too bad I'm piano, i hear its really competitve on popular instruments :::sigh:::

Its bloody hard getting anymre information about that Music skills test- I've rang the con a dozen times and asked the same girl the same questions (worded differently) trying to squeeze more out of her than what the website says. Oh well...

btw, it says in the booklet: "is designed to asses whether applicants have a sufficent level of music literacy in harmony and aural perception to cope with the demands of the course

Aural percepton? <--- I was told no sight singing ? (for minor i think)
~Ritaann

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
Aural perception is a course all first and second years have to do, minor or major.
Its devided into two classes
you have one hour of Lab which is like aural dictation, rythms, intervals and that kinda stuff and SATB chords. .counterpoint dictation and etc..
and then you have one hour of Solfege a week.
Soflege is where you do sigh signing and intervals, chords and stuff - about 20 people in the class, and you sing.. ugh.. everyone totally has a crap time in those, so don't stress out about that one.

But in the exam for con entry there is no sight singing.
they just mean the lab part.. dictation.

oh and don't stress about numbers.. tee hee, odd things can happen..
they usually take no more than 2 or 3 cellos a year, but in first year this year..
there are like 11 ^.^lol , first year cellos huge size! it rawks!
so if you're all good enough, tehy'll let you in.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Aural Perception is an essential skill to any successful student at SCM (or for that matter, any music school). There is no sight singing component in the audition (that I know of), but there is a written music skills test that most students should not have a problem with. Con students will generally complete at least four semesters of Aural Perception through first and second year, but there is an element of assumed knowledge - and it is this assumed knowledge that they are testing in the Music Skills test at audition.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)