Aural help (1 Viewer)

Jay-Tee

HSC
hey so im a drummer so i already have pitch problems lol

and i only acheive mediocre marks in aural (60-70%) but high 90's in performance and am top of my class

i just want to know is there any sort of music scope i should be looking down to help improve my marks in aural or is there anything i can do

i also have problems with classical pieces and determining structure

Thanks, Jack

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
What kind of pitch problems do you say you have? Can you sing a scale in your head?

4unitfreak

HSC
Make a mindmap of all the aural concepts of music (pitch, duration, timbre, texture, tone colour, structure etc) and write down everything you know about each one (e.g. for pitch: what scale is used, whether it's major or minor etc). Stick it on your wall so you have all the concepts right there and you can look at it (obviously). Listen to heaps of songs from different genres and describe it in terms of the aural concepts - in the exams the question is usually something along the lines of comparing, contrasting and describing an excerpt of music in relation to one of the concepts, or at least the questions we got were like that. If you're having trouble with the classical pieces, concentrate on them more.

I did music from year 7 to year 11 and I was terrible at aural stuff until our teacher suggested we do this, and it really helped me improve. I'm also a drummer so I know just how you feel :)

Hope all this helps! :D

bored of sc

HSC
hey so im a drummer so i already have pitch problems lol

and i only acheive mediocre marks in aural (60-70%) but high 90's in performance and am top of my class

i just want to know is there any sort of music scope i should be looking down to help improve my marks in aural or is there anything i can do

i also have problems with classical pieces and determining structure

Thanks, Jack
Music 1 or Music 2? If it's music 1 you don't need to know how to sing a scale.

As for your 'problems', an aural exam is testing knowledge of musical concepts. You need to know these concepts inside out. As a drummer you would probably find duration quite straight forward. For pitch, it's about four things melody, harmony, bass-line and indefinite pitch material. Use these as sub-concepts and research/ask around/handouts for information on these.

E.g. Types of bass-lines: drone, riff, pedal point, alternating, walking, simple, syncopated.

iNerd

Banned
HSC
i have the same problems as you
but you when they play you the tonic note
make sure you have the chord in your head
and that can basically lead you to any note inbetween

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)