Ausmedstudent Forum Closed (1 Viewer)

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
they'll just dump UMAT and make all med graduate entry via GAMSAT, that is the most likely path
but i don't see that happening for a long time

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
MCAT?
I agree that the UMAT is a bit pointless when it gets to the stage where doing a prep course is becoming standard. But i guess you still need something other than an estimated uai to give people interviews, so its a tricky situation.

ishq

brown?
HSC
The GAMSAT is pretty much like the MCAT is most perspectives.

In most countries with undergrad med, they make Physics/Chem/Bio mandatory for the prospective students in yr11/yr12 and have an admission test much like the GAMSAT - with questions on physics/chem/bio + essay writing/english. Thus, the students have some level of understanding as to what, academically, they are getting themselves into. But, then again, its back to square one with 99.7+ UAI's getting the spots.

RyBo

HSC
On the note of what dallas could have threatened leagal action over:
On the Med Student forum, anything that people say, the owner is directly responsible for, because he/she maintains the site.

Dallas could have threatened for defamation because people were openly baging his course, and that bagging could be viewed by anyone in the world.

As the owner is ultimately responsible, he would have threatened her, not individual members.

there are defences, such as truth, or for public benefit, but it's not winning in court thats the issue, it's the cost of going to court.

I agree with everyone else, what a dick head.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Learn some law, kid. The administrator of a bulletin board is not legally responsible for the views expressed on that bulletin board by other individuals. It's like suing the SMH for publishing a quote of me saying that Dallas is a wanker.

You're right about the cost issue though. Still, he knows he can't win on legal grounds - his only hope is that she caves...which she won't be doing anymore.

Waldo

Hiding Somewhere
HSC
Lexicographer said:
his only hope is that she caves...which she won't be doing anymore.
Does that mean the forum is opening up?

RyBo

HSC
Lexicographer said:
Learn some law, kid. The administrator of a bulletin board is not legally responsible for the views expressed on that bulletin board by other individuals.
Sorry, but yes they are.

Part of the defamation Act is that conveying the defamatory material via any means such as
-sign language
-written documents
-orally
-fax
-sms
-INTERNET FORUMS

Constitutes defamation.

You may not have written it, but if you spread it (like on the INTERNET), you are liable.

I do not agree with Dallas, but I do know the law.

Also, even with a good lawyer, I don't think Dallas has a leg to stand on. If the admin can proove that the comments were true, he/she get off.
If he/she can proove that the comments were for public benfit, which they were, he/she will get of.

Despite this, the case if pursued could go on for years, incurring massive costs for the admin.

(I am not a legal studies nerd, I'm just related to a few people who have to be)

You put it sooo well Lexi, - Learn some Law kid

Waldo

Hiding Somewhere
HSC
^^ maybe we should get a law student in :D

paging law students :p

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hehe very nice. But you're looking at legislation only, the case law has clearly removed responsibility from the operators of the forum. I can't find the individual cases for you because I'm kinda in the middle of something (ie exams).

Nice rebuttal though. Respect. :)

RyBo

HSC
fair enough lexi, i didn't think about case law.

I submit to your superior medical student intellect, and bow out gracefully.
Lucky I don't want to be a lawyer.

[slowly backs away from the exalted one bowing]

BTW, good luck with your exams lexi.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
pfft at both of you. geez guys trying to bitch abt defamation law in a med forum abt a capitalist blood-sucking wanker called dallas feeding on little asian kids to bump up their UMAT...

THERE'S MORE TO LIFE THAN BITCHING ABT WANKERS! :D

santaslayer

HSC
RyBo said:
fair enough lexi, i didn't think about case law.

I submit to your superior medical student intellect, and bow out gracefully.
Lucky I don't want to be a lawyer.

[slowly backs away from the exalted one bowing]

BTW, good luck with your exams lexi.
But under section 'something' of the Constitution, statutes clearly prevail over normal case law, unless judges have interpreted legislation in such a way and parliament has not done anything (ie. amend/repeal/whateva) to remedy it. :p

ie: aZns only include the ones that look AzN. The rest are 'gwei lao'. :p

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
santaslayer said:
But under section 'something' of the Constitution, statutes clearly prevail over normal case law, unless judges have interpreted legislation in such a way and parliament has not done anything (ie. amend/repeal/whateva) to remedy it.
:(:(:(

my dear santa,

the doctrine of parliamentary sovereignty is not a section in our Constitution, but is implied in the existence of a representative and responsible government.

but i digress :D

inasero

Reborn
HSC
ohhh UoW vs. UNSW law bitchfight...who will win? who will put their mettle to the kettle metal? all shall be revealed in the next episode!

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
*cough*

actually, to be fair, that knowledge was acquired during my time at the under-recognised, wonderful Faculty of Law, University of Technology, Sydney.

RyBo

HSC
anyway, everyone seems to agree that
1) Dallas is a #@!!$#@%%#!#@@
2) he has no legal leg to stand on
3) Dallas is a #@!!$#@%%#!#@@

inasero

Reborn
HSC
haha you call THAT a faculty of law?!
what are the employment stats for UTS law grads?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)