Australia - The Discussion (1 Viewer)

the truth

HSC
does australia have a culture? its that simple
im not sure if australia does have a definate culture. when you think of countries such as india, china etc you have a defined picture in your mind which reflects the culture of the country.
is the view of australias culture still the wife beater shirt stubbies thongs and a vb or has it changed ... im sure it has

G

genavania

Re: does australia have a culture?

lol we had to do a debate at school on this topic a few years ago.
We thought it didnt but in the end both teams were arguing the same points. it was weird
Aff- yes a multicultural culture
NEg- no we are too multicultural

we lost

Mongke

HSC

Australia is a developing nation, give it a hundred years and itll ease into something definite. Australia hasnt had very much to define its self in the World
yet. well, not the current Australia that is.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC

Will culture exist in tomorrows globally integrated markets?

iamsickofyear12

HSC

I don't think you can compare the Indian or Chinese culture looking at it from a distance to actually experiencing the Australian culture every day. Here it is easy to see all the different cultures we have in Sydney but someone living overseas isn't going to know about any of them.

The culture of any country is just a generalisation of the one culture that is most dominant and I think if you were to ask people who live overseas you would get the footy, cricket, beach, thongs, bbq, beer thing that has been thought of as the Australia culture for such a long time.

Pretty much everyone I know fits into that kind of culture. In my area most of the people that have come from overseas to live here have adopted it at least as an addition to their own.

The current Australian culture will always be the Australian culture. People who move here will adopt it, at least partly. By second and third generation they will be mostly Australian and less whatever culture they came from. Except for the muslims since all they want to do it force everyone else to follow their religious laws.

Generator

HSC
N/A

the truth said:
does australia have a culture? its that simple
im not sure if australia does have a definate culture. when you think of countries such as india, china etc you have a defined picture in your mind which reflects the culture of the country.
is the view of australias culture still the wife beater shirt stubbies thongs and a vb or has it changed ... im sure it has

Cultures of the sought that you speak of are identified through a process of othering - cultures essentially exist in relation to the other, and what is readily identifiable to the outsider may well be taken for granted by the insider. Also, insiders may tend to demean what is before their very eyes yet romanticise the other, effectively ignoring the aspects of everyday life that paint an outside culture in a much more mundane light.

To say that Australia doesn't have a identifiable 'culture' is to assume that other countries themselves have a readily identifiable 'culture'. As far as I'm concerned, such a notion contains both elements of truth and fancy - as a young nation/nation-state, Australia doesn't have the depth of history with which people like to construct a culture, yet at the same time other nations/nation-states are themselves forever dynamic and they aren't as 'culturally rich' as many seem to believe.

Last edited:

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC

Its late so forgive me if I'm not constructive

I really liked that post by imsickofyear12. In addition, I also feel we have a unique and individual attitude. Not so much the stereotypical laid back attitude, but it is evident when even that ad "where the bloody hell are you", even if we as australians are mixed with the appropriateness of the ad, we are still very uniquely different in the way we approach such issues. I'm not saying we're more tolerant of slang, or that we're ocker, and I do acknowledge that the ad provided stereotypical representations of australia, our approach is evidently unique.

We laugh at the fact that americans wanted to boycott australia being a tourist destination at all because they did not want images of blood being exposed to children. This misunderstanding, I don't want to focus on the actual clash of culture and words itself, but the fact we identify ourselves and recognise such differences.,

Which is what makes a culture and identity. The ability to recognise our uniqueness, even if we cannot articulate what exactly it is.

I'm sure generator ntb etc can come up with some political and historical factors.. like our understanding of our own "smallness" in the world, with regards to gallipoli and cacoda... and other such factors that make up our culture, but we do definatley have a sense of identity and culture.

Forgive me, but I'm not sober as yet,.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Re: Does Australia have a culture?

In general: No, Australia doesn't have a unique "culture".

I dont' see culture as the mainstream "way of life". Culture can only be established over a longer period of time. Culture is art, history and way of thinking, as well as the governmental system and legal foundations. It's not simply the way the masses behave.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC

_dhj_ said:
In general: No, Australia doesn't have a unique "culture".

I dont' see culture as the mainstream "way of life". Culture can only be established over a longer period of time. Culture is art, history and way of thinking, as well as the governmental system and legal foundations. It's not simply the way the masses behave.
there have been major things that have happened in australian art. as well as science etc. You feel no one australian has achieved anything quite substantial? I really cannot be bothered rattling off some, but it has happened.

I don't feel it has to be a long time to produce some sort of culture. We do have a unique history, be it short lived, but still existant.

I don't feel I'm the only one simplifying the matter.

Comrade nathan

HSC

You have be non human to not have a culture.

Im pretty sure Australians are humans.

Cultures of the sought that you speak of are identified through a process of othering - cultures essentially exist in relation to the other, and what is readily identifiable to the outsider may well be taken for granted by the insider.
I don't believe that. I can't see how it can be backed up.

I agree that certain aspects of culture, or what is considered high or legitimate culture will be emphasised as something different to outside cultures. But to say all culture is a procces of othering is similar to cultural relativism, something i don't agree with.

I would say certian industrialised nations which had little contact outside their region still had a culture. Or many groups or "tribes" which were warring and considered each other others, but there was a pan culture over the region disproves the culture relative theories.

Last edited:

_dhj_

-_-
HSC

ur_inner_child said:
there have been major things that have happened in australian art. as well as science etc. You feel no one australian has achieved anything quite substantial? I really cannot be bothered rattling off some, but it has happened.

I don't feel it has to be a long time to produce some sort of culture. We do have a unique history, be it short lived, but still existant.

I don't feel I'm the only one simplifying the matter.
Because we are Australians our responses to this question will be inherently biased because of patriotism, and the facts will be difficult to accept. But the reality is that compared to many other nations, we don't have a unique culture. (relatively speaking of course)

Generator

HSC
N/A

Comrade nathan said:
\

I don't believe that. I can't see how it makes sense.

I agree that certain aspects of culture, or what is considered high or legitimate culture will be emphasised as something different to outside cultures. But to say all culture is a procces of othering is similar to cultural relativism, something i don't agree with.

I would say certian industrialised nations which had little contact outside their region still had a culture. Or many groups or "tribes" which were warring and considered each other others, but there was a pan culture over the region disproves the culture relative theories.
I was specifically referring to the way in which many identify what they consider to be 'culture', but it seems as though I wasn't quite as clear as I thought. My fault.

Generator

HSC
N/A

_dhj_ said:
Because we are Australians our responses to this question will be inherently biased because of patriotism, and the facts will be difficult to accept. But the reality is that compared to many other nations, we don't have a unique culture. (relatively speaking of course)
I'm assuming that you are referring to notions of 'high' culture?

Edit: I should point out that the bias that you speak of can (and does) go the other way, too.

Last edited:

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC

eg the resurgent ANZAC tradition has been portrayed by many (both in favour and against) as a new civic religion and expression of patriotism and also as a key expression of Australian culture by holding up the various values of: bravery, mateship, fighting wars in distant lands in support of foriegn powers, mel gibson movies, fear of outsiders, etc

dilroy

HSC

We have a very relaxed culture and I like it this way, a lot of other countries may have a wonderful culture... but in the modern era is it really important?

Over here if you want to say hello, you don't have to kiss anyone on the cheeks, start chanting, bow your head a million times or start wanking. All you have to do here in Australia is say "G'day mate" or "Wheres the BBQ?" and that's it.

Most Australians are not heavily influenced by religion, instead of attending church, we attend football games or spend some quality time emphasising our lives rather than wasting it on a non existant being.

Over here it's OK to be Japanese and have a Chinese friend, or be a Croatian with a Serbian friend. We don't tend to look down on other cultures, like most other countries would do.

If you want to meet hot Asian girls just head over to the Chinatown district in Sydney, if you want great Italian food just head over to Leichart, instead of going to Athens save your money and just go to bloody Melbourne etc.

Anyways, enough with my ranting. Australia is multicultural nation, that is a culture right? With a multicultural society, we become less arrogant and less ignorant towards other cultures, and we become a very friendly, livable and tolerant nation.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC

Anything featuring Geoffrey Robertsons is good, I second the call.

Jaydels

HSC

I don't think it's true to say we don't have a unique culture...Australian's are definitely unique. I believe it's more that we don't have an overly strong culture. ie, we don't have a national dress, cultural festivals, national food (sausages and meat pies don't count), etc. Our culture doesn't dictate the way we live, its more a lifestyle choice. We're not forced to follow a particular religion either...there are so many religions available here and we have the choice to follow whichever one we choose, if any at all. That in itself makes us pretty unique.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)