Australian Citizenship Test (1 Viewer)

kloudsurfer

HSC
Uhh...so what exactly is this test supposed to achieve?

Im indifferent to it personally. It doesnt achieve anything (as far as i can tell), but its too easy to be significant obstacle to getting australian citezenship.

It just seems somewhat pointless to me.

Just an idea, the money could be spent on something more useful, like giving migrants who cant speak englishfree english lessons or something along those lines. It would definetly be more useful in helping migrants to fit into this so called 'Australian way of life' (not getting into that argument here) that these people keep trumpeting.

kloudsurfer

HSC
Haha true.

Anyway, seriously, whats the answer to question 1?!?!?

(1) Which one of these is a responsibility for every Australian citizenship?

- Renounce their citzenship of any other country
Uhh...I have three citezenships including australia... I got them when I was a kid though and I think im only keeping them because of some sort of loophole (its not illegal of course)!
- Serve in Australian Diplomatic Missions overseas
Uhhh...just no.
- Join with Australians to defend Australia and its way of life, should the need arise
What, do they mean go fight in wars, or if you meet some guy in a pub in America badmouthing Aussies you should hit him in the head with a barstool?

I seriously dont know! Whats the answer?

I should be deported!

iamsickofyear12

HSC
kloudsurfer said:
Haha true.

Uhh...I have three citezenships including australia... I got them when I was a kid though and I think im only keeping them because of some sort of loophole (its not illegal of course)!
Uhhh...just no.
- Join with Australians to defend Australia and its way of life, should the need arise
What, do they mean go fight in wars, or if you meet some guy in a pub in America badmouthing Aussies you should hit him in the head with a barstool?

I should be deported!
It's not really a loophole. There is just no law that says you can't have multiple citizenships this way. In other circumstances (not particularly for getting Australian citizenship but generally) you might be required to drop existing citizenship to become a citizen of a particular country.

It means fight in wars (obviously only when Australia is directly threatened though)... but I wish the answer was 'if you meet some guy in a pub in America badmouthing Aussies you should hit him in the head with a barstool"

williams180

HSC
PrinceHarry said:
They have NO RIGHT to live in Australia. It is a PRIVILEDGE extended to them by the government and whatever condition set upon becoming Australian Citizenship is their responsibility.

And you know why your beloved Sheikh Hilaly ran into trouble with the press for a zillion times, because he cannot speak proper english even after living in Australia for over 20 years.
exactly. Its a priveiledge to be allowed to migrate here. Everyone is thinking its racist youre all way off. You dont' just open youre borders to anyone and be like just come in guys. A 20 question test is even too soft in my opinion. Government has every right to choose methods in which they will allow people in.

williams180

HSC
kloudsurfer said:
Haha true.

Uhhh...just no.

I should be deported!
you should

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
williams180 said:
exactly. Its a priveiledge to be allowed to migrate here. Everyone is thinking its racist youre all way off. You dont' just open youre borders to anyone and be like just come in guys. A 20 question test is even too soft in my opinion. Government has every right to choose methods in which they will allow people in.
The funny part is, this isn't an immigration test. It's a citizenship test. It has nothing to do with "allowing people in", merely whether they become citizens or not.

K

katie_tully

Yeh...um...many of the people who are doing the test have already been living here for up to a few years....so....

kloudsurfer

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
It's not really a loophole. There is just no law that says you can't have multiple citizenships this way. In other circumstances (not particularly for getting Australian citizenship but generally) you might be required to drop existing citizenship to become a citizen of a particular country.

It means fight in wars (obviously only when Australia is directly threatened though)... but I wish the answer was 'if you meet some guy in a pub in America badmouthing Aussies you should hit him in the head with a barstool"
I had this argument with my geography teacher in yr 8, because she claimed it was impossible to have 3 citezenships and that you can only have australia and one other country. Anyway, so i went and did the research, and from what I remember you can only have 1 other citizenship other than australian citizenship, unless the other citizenships are ones that you have not actively gone out and acquired, such as the ones I have which I got automatically because if the country in which i was born and the nationalities of my parents (and laws were different back then). Its something along those lines. I suppose its not a real loophole, just a condition.

And the 'defending Australia' thing makes sense now. I just interpreted it to mean we all had to go join the army when we are at war with another country, eg: Iraq right now. Some other countries have compulsory military service, and with the absurdity of some of the options in the other questions it was feasible to me that thats what it meant.

williams180 said:
you should
Judging by your other comments on this thread, im assuming your not joking?
And why do you feel I be deported?

Is it because I cant answer one random question on a test (which I just admitted to have misinterpreted)? So if I find a question on the citizenship test that you can answer, should you be deported?

Or is it because I have multiple citizenships, all of which I have not actively aquired, one from a country I was born in and lived in for 18 months before moving here where Ive lived for as long as i can remember, and one for a country which Ive never even been to but my parents are from there?

Last edited:

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Tulipa said:
The funny part is, this isn't an immigration test. It's a citizenship test. It has nothing to do with "allowing people in", merely whether they become citizens or not.
but the bogans don't know the difference so the test does the job :D

an immigration test would probably break international law somehow...

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
kloudsurfer said:
I had this argument with my geography teacher in yr 8, because she claimed it was impossible to have 3 citezenships and that you can only have austrlia and one other country. Anyway, so i went and did the research, and from what I remember you can only have 1 other citizenship other than australian citezenship, unless the other citizenships are ones that you have not actively gone out and aquired. Something along those lines.
No, you can have tri-citizenship, it depends on whether the countries give citizenship by jus sanguinis or jus soli. i.e. if you have an Australian and New Zealand parent and are born in the United States, you can be a citizen of all those countries at once.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
jb_nc said:
No, you can have tri-citizenship, it depends on whether the countries give citizenship by jus sanguinis or jus soli. i.e. if you have an Australian and New Zealand parent and are born in the United States, you can be a citizen of all those countries at once.
That's true.

My little brother and sister have Australian, Canadian and American citizenship.

However, they cannot have a Canadian passport unless they renounce either the Australian or American passports due to some Canadian law. It depends on the country in terms of everything really.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
jb_nc said:
According to one thing I read it is technically possible to have 5 citizenships at birth depending on where you were born and where your parents were born and what citizenship/s they hold.

Some countries allow you to become a citizen of their country without dropping your original one and others don't allow it. I think the number you can get depends on which countries you are going for.

williams180

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
but the bogans don't know the difference so the test does the job :D

an immigration test would probably break international law somehow...
international law lol . Youre joking a country has the entire right to means test to immigrants. Yeh im trying to apply to move to Nth Korea what international organisation is gonna be like yeh u can go and overright a country. Immigration tests are used all around the world.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Since 2002 Australia has allowed dual citizenship, whereas previously if you actively acquired another citizenship you would lose your Australian one. Now you can have as many as you like and your Australian citizenship will be unaffected.

I have Australian citizenship, and British citizenship by descent from my dad. I would also have been a Dutch citizen, but unfortunately the Dutch are all Nazi about people acquiring other citizenships, so my mum lost her Dutch citizenship when she was naturalised in Australia.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
williams180 said:
i don't think the test is racist; for it to be so it would have to be actively discriminating against one or more racial groups, which it isn't doing.

the people who apply for citizenship here have already been here for a number of years so it isn't about letting people in or keeping them out. a citizenship test with the kinds of questions that are currently on it is useless and ill thought out; there's no reason in my opinion why migrants should have to take any sort of knowledge test, or any test, to gain citizenship. You get told what your rights and responsibilities are as a citizen when you get naturalized anyway, as i understand it, so asking people to prove that they know a bunch of pointless information beforehand is a little redundant.

kloudsurfer

HSC
Triangulum said:
Since 2002 Australia has allowed dual citizenship, whereas previously if you actively acquired another citizenship you would lose your Australian one. Now you can have as many as you like and your Australian citizenship will be unaffected.

I have Australian citizenship, and British citizenship by descent from my dad. I would also have been a Dutch citizen, but unfortunately the Dutch are all Nazi about people acquiring other citizenships, so my mum lost her Dutch citizenship when she was naturalised in Australia.
Oh ok. That makes sense. I would have been 2002 when I researched it, so the info was probably old info from before the laws were changed.

looie

HSC
To me this seems like a bit of a joke. A funny one at that.

As some have pointed out, obviously the questions are fatally flawed and buy into John Howards sick fantasy about golden bronzed aussie legends storming Gallipoli and being mown down but being such good mates that they didn't care. Mate-ship. I have no idea about the emblem, no idea when Australia day is, I wouldn't fight if there was a war I would retreat and wait for the Americans to come.

This is not said in some kind of immature defiance, merely pointing out how pointless these questions are. My point is, if I've been living in this country for all my life and don't know the answers how are they supposed to?
Give em a booklet. So they can learn all about Howards wet dream. That will make them Aussies (sic). The fact of the matter is, being Australian takes time, it can't be enforced and the concept on its own is a highly subjective one (What does it mean to be Australian? I daresay my defintion would vary greatly from others who have expressed opposite views, and yet we are all Australian.)

I think, for me, its not the concept of some basic screening to make sure that people will abide by our laws and rules that annoys me. Its the method with which this basic idea has been implemented. All this 'values' garbage in the test is pathetic and laughable. Some African men raped an underage girl in Sydney not to long ago, they seemed to think it wasn't a bad thing to do. THAT's the kind of stuff that new citizens need to be made aware of, contentious laws which might seem alien to them but are very important (rightly so) in our country. Things that they might actually get in trouble with.

So a booklet with some basic rights and laws would be far more effective than some dross about flowers and sports men from yester year. And to say that this is irrelevent or it doesn't matter is to missunderstand why, I think, so many people are taking issue with this Citizens test.

It is the issue, why test them if its such a dumb test? Why not give them a test which will actually be genuinely useful and helpful when living in Australia? Making it 'a little' bit harder is an absolute cop out and shows a disgraceful lack of actually wanting to fix a percieved issue. It is complacant and weak to accept such a rubbish test being used in our country.

KaneOosty

VIP Member
HSC
This test has a George Orwell scent to it.... "This is what it is to be Australian... full stop. This is our values... full stop. You will not refer to your own culture... full stop."

A test is pointless... it doesn't do anything other than denying human being a place to live... that in itself is un-Australian. Australians help each other out, no matter who the person is... unfortunately Howard doesn't realise this because he is... and I stand with this... a pompous ass.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)