• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

australian economy (1 Viewer)

tjis

HSC
What economic policies is Australia adopting currently? Is it expansionary fiscal policy, contractionary fiscal policy, tightening monetary policy or easing monetary policy?
Can you tell me what are the effects of the policy to the economy and why did the government implement this policy?
Thanks

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
These questions require a bit of research on your part. (i.e we are not just going to give you a complete answer :) )

Some things to get you started:
Check the Current Economic Data/Issues thread . See especially my post (http://community.boredofstudies.org/2347501/post-44.html) detailing the reasons for the last interest rate rise

The budget thread contains a wealth of links to articles regarding fiscal policy and the latest budget.

Basically Fiscal polict is currently slightly expansionary, while monetary is slightly loose. They are essentially cancelling each other out.

As for the effects of such a situation, this should be detailed in your textbook.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
To get you started: the fiscal stance is mildly more expansionary in 2006/07
What?
budget surplus + rising interest rates = contractionary.

Let me know if i'm wrong.

Loz_metalhead

HSC
Sparcod said:
What?

I need to research this for my economics assessment. If the surplus is smaller than last years budgets then it is expansionary as more money is flowing into the economy.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Sparcod said:
What?

The following is an extract from Frank Stilwell, my political economy lecturer at usyd:
A conventional Keynesian economic analysis would take the view that running a budget surplus tends to be contractionary, reducing the aggregate demand for goods and services and thereby slowing growth in output and employment. From that perspective, one could regard Costello's surplus projected of over $10 billion as a conservative fiscal policy stance, taking much more away from the spending capacity of Australian taxpayers that it ploughs back in to the economy in the form of government spending.

However, the prevailing view is that the fiscal stance is expansionary. This is because the budget surplus for the year ahead is much lower than that which would normally occur, given the sustained growth of the economy in recent years and the massive incomes generated by the current boom in minerals prices and exports. It is this spectacular economic buoyancy that has enabled the government to cut various taxes - on incomes, on superannuation and on business - while still maintaining a surplus. Costello's budget thereby returns some of the proceeds of the current economic bonanza to the general public, while still appearing economically responsible, by the standards of modern market economists.

The problem with this strategy is that an expansionary fiscal policy seems oddly juxtaposed with a mildly contractionary monetary policy. The Reserve Bank of Australia has recently raised official interest rates by a quarter of a percentage point. This reflects fears of inflationary pressures in the economy, partly driven by the rising price of petrol. The effects of that rise in interest rates are likely to be swamped by the increased consumer spending that the Treasurer has now facilitated.
I.e. You have to look at the structual, discretionary component of the budget. The budget is composed of both discretionary and cyclical components and whats important is how they interplay with each other.

Clearly by cutting taxes on the scale seen in the 06-07 budget, along with the other spending measures, the budget is mildly expansionary.

Basically you cant just look at whether the outcome is a suplus or deficit and simply conclude that it must be expansionary or contractionary. You have to look a little deeper at the specifics.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)