Australian Mathematics Competition Help!! (1 Viewer)

Asianboy02

HSC
N/A
I'm generally a good mathematics student( in the accelerated program ). When it comes to yearly's and half yearly' s I usually ace them with around a 95%+. The problem starts when contests like Math Olympiad or AMC ( Australian Mathematics Competition are held ). I usually get a merit sometimes credit. What is different in those tests? How can I improve my score and maybe get a D or a HD? Any Tips And Tricks would be appreciated.. THX!

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
I'm generally a good mathematics student( in the accelerated program ). When it comes to yearly's and half yearly' s I usually ace them with around a 95%+. The problem starts when contests like Math Olympiad or AMC ( Australian Mathematics Competition are held ). I usually get a merit sometimes credit. What is different in those tests? How can I improve my score and maybe get a D or a HD? Any Tips And Tricks would be appreciated.. THX!
I heard that naturally gifted people and those with better reasoning skills are better at the AMC than those that rote learn and do repeated past papers...

Maybe that's why?

30june2016

HSC
Uni Grad
i got HDs for y7-10 by only doing the mc questions for AMC and not bothering with the final 5 if that helps

try using trial and error

also

because i focused on only the mc i had time to be bothered enough to go to the effort of writing every possible result for some questions (e.g. 'how many ____ can be made from ____ ' questions)

bujolover

HSC
Buy the AMC books with past questions in them - there's a whole series...'practising' them can help you get a D at least... well, they helped me anyway. :)
If you want to know how to get them, I think there's usually info on the back of your AMC certificate.

Ashaaz

HSC
Hi,

Anyone having AMC past year papers for Year 8 and happy to share.

PiAndQuadratics

HSC
U probably haven't done enough AMC-style questions. The AMC usually has very dodgy questions and things that force you to memorise tons of equations and stuff. If you ace your school exams then that's because you know the content that's going to be in them but the AMC is unpredictable and very difficult. Best thing you can do is familiarise yourself with as many types of questions as is humanly possible.

vvvsace

HSC
hey I am new to this website can anyone please explain to me how do I start a new forum post? Thanks in advance

Makeone

HSC
Doing past papers for the AMC is helpful but so is understanding the patterns behind the questions. Since most of the questions are dodgy and require abstract thinking, you can answer most of them by looking for patterns in them. This is what I realised when I did the AMC, it's extremely beneficial to recognise patterns quickly if you're aiming for being in the top or getting a High Distinction every year.

jekcara8

HSC
Unlike you I am very bad at Math, but if you want a special program which focus on Math then you can hire someone from Maths Tutors Melbourne. I have had a few private tutors from them and I highly recommend their service.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)