Australian Muscle (1 Viewer)

blackkatz

HSC
Does anyone here still like muscle cars?

I love [American] muscle cars, but I barely know anything about Australian Mucle cars (and I dont live in Australia in the first place).
I hope any of you enthusiast out there can enlighten me about them.

I wanna know what was the hype back then? <Hope this's right>
The great iconic cars, the fast ones, the most favorable, they're availability and collectibility today, things like that.

I've tried searching on the internet, but Im afraid Im dead on the tracks and I really want to hear from the enthusiasts themselves.

So, let the comments roll in...

<Hope this hasnt been done before :s >

lengy

HSC
A YANK? ON MY BOS? MORE LIKELY THAN YOU THINK!

Go rent Mad Max, the first one, from your video store. It samples alot of Australian Muscle.

I like all types of cars: Tuners, Muscle and Exotics.

aim54x

XccenTRiX
lost in the mists of time, shrouded by thought
HSC
I love muscle, ESP AMERICAN MUSCLE.

I don't really think there is anything that is true muscle in AUS atm, not if u go by the original concept of a
-cheap/affordable
-powerful
-tweakable

car that every other 20 yr old can own.

BTW i think RWD and V8's come pretty close to prequisites as well

Last edited:

lengy

HSC
If you're going by Australian then you can only say Ford or Holden and throw in Chrysler with their Valiant. That's all I know about the Australian muscle car scene. I don't really follow it but I know what I like.

lengy

HSC
I've played Need For Speed: Carbon. I prefer the original. I've seen some original Mustangs around. They look so light and with a big V8 would be such a fast car. Cars these days are too heavy because of safety requirements. I'd love to have the new Mustang just to be different though.

aim54x

XccenTRiX
HSC
how does a 07 mustang with one of those hand built SHELBY AMERICAN RACING 427cu in. supercharged V8's (720bhp) sound to u???

but i would much rather slide one of those into a FORD GT, but that is not muscle anymore, more supercar league, cause the GT is already a supercar

blackkatz

HSC
Well Im no Yank and I dont live there, but I know American Muscles more than I know Australian Muscle.

The links u gave sure helps me with something solid to start <again> with (I tend not to trust Wikipedia when it comes to cars
)

Shelby GT500 sure is cool, but I prefer the 68 Fastback tho.
The Ford GT IMO is better considered as a Mucle car.
Why? Cuz its much cooler than supercars these days and even can outran even some o them. Too bad GTs are out of production
To me Muscle car >> any supercar u can throw

The new Charger looks like a beast, but it looks more like a luxury roller from the side. '69 Charger R/T for me

427S/C Cobra owns. Lightweight with powerful V8. Current ones even come in with fibreglass bodies, which is kinda cool. I prefer aluminum bodies for muscle cars tho.

Where I live, there isnt any muscle cars around. So I really wanna know more bout them. I've learned so much bout the American Muslce but still nothin in Australian muscle (their history, heritage, etc).

Also, how attainable are muscle cars in Aussie, Melbourne/Sydney to be precise? And if any of you actually own one?
Last one may be rather silly, but who knows...

Oh, and I think the new VE Commodore is hot!

j_davo24

HSC
If your looking for older cars then GT Falcons, Chargers, Monaros and Toranas are probably what would be classed as Australian 'Muscle Cars'. Alot of these vehicles are heavily modified these days much in the same way American Muscle cars are.

As a matter of fact we just purchased a 1974 LH SLR/5000 Torana that has had some modifications done to it, 308 with quad webers, A9X gearbox conversion some other bits and peices.

The guy we bought it off just tracked down and bought a 1971 Chevrolet Caprice, one of only 4 imported to Australia with the Big-Block 454. Plenty of muscle in that engine im sure. Lol.

Newer cars don't fit into the muscle car category in my opinion. Just don't have that same feel about them. Now that theres more concern with safety instead of how fast they'll go it's just not the same.

blackkatz

HSC
^

I agree. I also prefer to categorize the newer cars as "retro", and the real old muscle cars as "muscle". The new ones just dont have the 'coolness' of the older muscles. But since I wanted to know both new and old Australian muscle cars, I just call them muscle just as others would.

Sounds like a nice car, could u upload some pics?
Does your car drinks gas the same way as the old American muscles?
The only thing I regret bout muscle cars other than that there's barely none where I live, is that they drinks gas faster than u fill em.

Kinda off-topic, but do you have muscle trucks in Australia? I never heard/saw one, but I thought any o u can fill me in on this one.

And I've been seing muscles around A$35k ~ 60k in the internet.
Is that considered cheap or expensive for a car in Australia (sorry, I just HAD to ask
).

Oh yeah, anyone seen the new Dodge Demon concept yet? What do you think about the car?

aim54x

XccenTRiX
HSC
I think i would pay in that range for a retro stang if i was to get one, but it would have to be in real good condition

2.4L four-cylinder World Engine that sends 172 horsepower and 165 ft-lbs. of torque to the rear wheels through a six-speed manual gearbox. Dodge officials tell us a number of engines could be used in the Demon, including the 1.8 or 2.0L World Engine. A 300-hp motor, probably the one that powers the Caliber SRT-4, was also spoken of when we were initially introduced to the Demon by DCX.

now that sounds good (the 300hp) haahha i am not convinced that it is true muscle as it is designed to go head to head with a MX5 which is at best a sportscar, goin by the classic british formula, not to mention the mx5 is derived from the old lotus elan

lengy

HSC
The MX-5 is a sports coupe convertible in my opinion.

I'd say the Holden Rodeo, the Toyota Hilux and the Nissan Navara are muscle trucks. The Hilux is I think the Tundra or something in the states and quite popular. These cars are dwarfed by the Ford F250's and Dodge Ram's though.

blackkatz

HSC
^ Do you mean the Ford's F150? Never heard of the f250 before. Im pretty sure that its the F150 that dominated the US truck market for quite sometime.

Every thing Dodge came up these days are IMO disappointing.
The Ram has a big engine, but still overrated by anyone who knew the Ram.
The Viper looks great (04 Convertible and GTS-R) but crappy interior. And the new 08 looks terrible IMO (the new hood).
The Demon looks more like a BMW Z4 IMO. It looks nothing like a Dodge, except for the front grille.
I want a huge Hemi for my Dodge! Not an I4. Id choose the MX5 rather than the demon. I mean, the old Demon is wicked.
Sorry bout this, but I just had to rant

The Hilux looks intimidating and the Navara looks decent. Dont know bout the Rodeo tho, isnt it an SUV?
Do muscle trucks culture exist in Aussie? I mean, like in US they had hotrods and all.
And do they sell Rams and F150s in Aussie? My internet suck and I came up empty (also thanks to my poor research ability).
The only muscular truck I found is the Holden Ute. Looks nice, but never seen one driven to the max.

So they do sell Stangs in Aussie? I've seen one 68 GT350 before in Aussie, but never knew bout the retro ones.
I've been seeing imports like RX-7 in the A$60k ranges, so are they considered to be expensive?

I think ive seen a few Torana's before, but are they great cars? IMO the 68 Monaro is a beauty, but i like 69 Charger more

Oh, almost forgot. Any of u actually own a muscle car, besides j_davo24?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)