Australian Politics (1 Viewer)

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
Re: Australian Politics Chatter Thread

By-elections are the perfect avenue to vent political frustration. You can send a message without actually changing the shape of government. That's whats happened here.

Muz4PM

HSC

So, who thinks now Downer has gone, Costello will follow? Maybe Andrews and Vaile?

Anyway, I agree with Rafy that the ALP are little hope of winning Mayo. However, I think they should, and will challenge, you never know your luck.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

Yeah the Gippsland swing sufficiently confirms that they wont screw their party by buggering off.

What a bizarre post for Downer though!

spiny norman

HSC

I don't think it bizarre?

What could be a more fitting position for Australia's greatest ever Foreign Affairs Minister. He brought such joy to the role, and can only continue to bring great things to the world.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Newspoll 55/45 2PP.
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/files/newspoll-1jul.pdf

Note the ALP primary is almost back to where it was on election day. A further sign the honeymoon is over.

However this graph is quite revealing: http://possumcomitatus.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/allpollsprimsjul1.jpg

While the ALP primary has steadily fallen, the Coalition vote has stalled. i.e While voters are switching from the ALP, they are not going to the Coalition, rather to the Greens or Independents. Why? The Preferred Prime Minister figure probally captures the reason. (This reinforces Muz4PM's comment in post 227.)

Last edited:

boris

Banned
HSC

109 people agree with me, that bundy should rip off nicola roxon's face

this is a sign that more and more people are becoming sick of ruddkip and his bullshit, AND his incompetent cabinet.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

boris said:
109 people agree with me, that bundy should rip off nicola roxon's face

this is a sign that more and more people are becoming sick of ruddkip and his bullshit, AND his incompetent cabinet.
Hahaha moar like the Liberal people saw me join it and followed suit.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

Rafy said:
Newspoll 55/45 2PP.
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/files/newspoll-1jul.pdf

Note the ALP primary is almost back to where it was on election day. A further sign the honeymoon is over.

However this graph is quite revealing: http://possumcomitatus.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/allpollsprimsjul1.jpg

While the ALP primary has steadily fallen, the Coalition vote has stalled. i.e While voters are switching from the ALP, they are not going to the Coalition, rather to the Greens or Independents. Why? The Preferred Prime Minister figure probally captures the reason. (This reinforces Muz4PM's comment in post 227.)
I'd still argue that those who dropped off Labor will fall more heavily to the Coalition under new leadership, though, and it's a certainty that either Turnbull or Costello will be leader come the next election.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Mitchell v Bailey (No 2) [2008] FCA 692

Labor loses bid to win back McEwen

The Federal Court has upheld the result of last year's Federal Election in the Victorian seat of McEwen.
Liberal Fran Bailey won the seat in a recount last year, after it was initially awarded to Labor's Rob Mitchell.
Labor challenged the result in court, claiming a number of votes were wrongly excluded because of poor hand writing.
Federal Court Justice Richard Tracey has examined more than 600 disputed votes and awarded the seat to Fran Bailey by a margin of 27 votes.

Last edited:

Muz4PM

HSC

McEwan result - I really didn't expect it to change hands on the Federal Court's decision.

Next election- I think it is way too early to call it won by the ALP already. We have seen the electorate change its feelings about Rudd (slightly) since last November. The reason why I think this is not reflected in the polls is because of the leader, and people not being able to identify Nelson as a possible PM. As time goes by, and as fuel and food prices rise and rise, whether it is Rudd's fault or not, he will get the blame for doing nothing, and the Liberals will become a more paletable option as a possible government. That is why Rudd may go to an election sooner rather than later and capitalise on the Liberal's current leadership woes at the expense of maybe a few marginals to gain another three years of government.

spiny norman

HSC

I think, unless Rudd has a serious change in direction, he'll lose an election if he waits three years for it.

Currently he's striving for inoffensiveness and being moderate. As a result, minor things like FuelWatch are becoming massively contentious issues where otherwise nobody would care due to other, more controversial issues would be at the fore of public debate.

Rudd's living and dying on tiny issues. Unless he changes tact soon, he'll be Australia's greatest do-nothing Prime Minister and be a single-termer.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC

Rafy said:
Another shocker of a poll for the Iemma government. I can't see Iemma lasting the year.

2PP: Coalition 56, ALP 44
Primaries: Coalition 46, ALP 28

http://www.ozforums.com.au/uploads/21_nswtaverner2906.jpg

Jittery Labor MPs get ready to dump Iemma

Yippe, NSW will be the first state to knock down Labor wall to wall communist regime. Gawd bless Barry. There will be a bright light for this current doomed state, I think I'm more concerned whether I'll still be around 2011, gosh I'd be 53 years old by then. :shy:

u-borat

Banned
HSC

Iemma plain fails.
If Turnbull gets into leadership, I'm backing Liberal...if that gronk Nelson stays on, Labor will sweep even though they'll do shit all in their term.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Labor Party refuse to preselect Neal for 2010 election

BELINDA Neal's political career is over, with the Labor Party refusing to preselect her for the 2010 federal election.

Chiefs at Labor's Sussex St headquarters have resolved to ensure Ms Neal is blocked from candidacy on the Central Coast seat of Robertson in the wake of the Iguanas-gate scandal.

[...]

The Daily Telegraph understands that, regardless of the outcome of the investigation into claims she altered statutory declarations about the incident, her career as a politician is over.

"She wasn't meant to get elected in the first place and she'll never be preselected again," a well-placed figure said of Ms Neal's Central Coast seat of Robertson.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Bang-On T-Shirts in Westfield Bondi Junction

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC

THE new cervical cancer jab is believed to be behind a huge jump in the number of women and girls suffering bad reactions to vaccinations in NSW.

The first annual State vaccination statistics to include Gardasil reveal

a 1600 per cent surge in reported adverse side-effects among young females who were immunised last year. These include allergic reactions, collapsing, dizziness, nausea and unexplained illnesses.

New female cases pushed the total adverse reactions to immunisations last year to the highest on record. NSW Health says it is monitoring the situation closely, but said the results did not outweigh the benefits of the vaccination program.

Australian-developed Gardasil vaccinations were introduced to girls aged 12 and 13 through federal Government-funded school programs last year. They are also offered free to 13- to 18-year-olds as part of a catch-up program, and to young women aged up to 26.

"One of the reasons we are very careful to track immunisations is that a trial is one thing but we also want to check what happens in the real world," Dr Jeremy McAnulty, NSW Health's director of communicable diseases, said. "All vaccines have some usually very minor side-effects but we are keen to see if some major ones emerge."

However, Dr McAnulty stressed the benefits of the vaccine in preventing human papillomavirus (HPV), which can lead to cervical cancer, were overwhelming.

Most of the adverse reactions were recorded by nurses during school-based immunisations and none were life-threatening, he said. NSW Public Health data reveals that there were 224 official reports of adverse events linked to immunisation last year -- 133 of which were in females aged between five and 24.

In comparison, there were only 70 in total the previous year, with just eight recorded in young females. This is a 1662.5 per cent rise in reactions among young women. The statistics do not break down which vaccinations cause the side-effects. But nationally, there have been 1013 reports of adverse side-effects from Gardasil from doctors, parents and patients to the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA).

But the real number of reactions may be significantly higher, according to Women's Forum Australia director and health researcher Melinda Tankard Reist. She said: "I am not surprised that there has been an increase in reported reactions.

"Most adverse reactions are never reported so you have to multiply it by many times (to get the real figure).

"The health department and the Health Minister really need to have a closer look at this vaccine and a closer look at side-effects."

Federal Health Minister Nicola Roxon said the Government planned to continue the cervical cancer immunisation program.

"There are stringent safeguards in place to ensure vaccines in Australia are tested for safety by medical experts," she said.

According to the TGA, 3.7 million doses of Gardasil have been administered in Australia and, since October last year, the overall rate of adverse reactions has been decreasing.

Dr Rachel David, director of public affairs at pharmaceutical company CSL, insisted its vaccination was safe but said the company was also monitoring any adverse reactions.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23974632-2,00.html
Proof that Nicola Roxon is a cunt.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC

Rafy said:
Premier to fight for job

Costa blasts 'coward' MPs

So, Ministers openly attacking their own MPs and backbenchers attacking ministers. Welcome to the NSW Labor Party.

Love Costa but.

In the federal sphere, Newspoll has done a detailed analysis of their polling to see where Rudd is losing support.
Voters begin to shift on PM

It will be very HILARIOUS if Kevin Rudd loses the next federal election. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)