Australian Politics (4 Viewers)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
he can put off the election until march next year. i think he may wait.
The campaign would have to substantially overlap with the NSW state election campaign.

Not going to happen.

runoutofsleep

AUTISM IS NOT HOLLAND
HSC
Hmm, my bad, thought it was 49-29.

OK, now I'm worried - how can 40% of Australians like Tony Abbott? Or maybe they just prefer him to Rudd in the same way I'd prefer to eat mouldy cheese rather than faeces.
40% of australians are pretty smart i guess

switched on aussie voters know the difference between an untrustworthy DUD and a fair dinkum bloke you could have a beer with, check out this evidence Army of let-down voters set to desert ALP | The Australian

*sheds tear of pride*

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
The campaign would have to substantially overlap with the NSW state election campaign.

Not going to happen.
It would also reduce his term to like 2 years.

Not going to happen.

Lentern

HSC
I don't think the issue with Abbott has ever been that people think he's a liar or deceitful, on the contrary I think they think they know exactly where he stands and from where they stand he is a douche.

On a not particularly related note, let the fools write Rudd off, I encourage them to do so. I look over the history books and think jealously of the smug commentators who got to waltz around after the 93 and 2004 elections saying "I told you so" to everyone who'd listen and soon I will be one of those smug know it alls. He who anticipates the swift demise of the Rudd government make yourself known so I may mock you in three months time.

Existential

HSC
N/A
you literally gargle your own shit

you stupid fucking cunt
haha where have i heard that before? im afraid you all have said that so often that it has lost meaning. besides, there's nothing wrong with saying "kevin eleven".

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
haha where have i heard that before? im afraid you all have said that so often that it has lost meaning. besides, there's nothing wrong with saying "kevin eleven".

if a lot of people are calling you a stupid cunt

it might just be that you're a stupid cunt

if you're too much of a stupid cunt

to realise everyone calling you a stupid cunt

might be on to something

further proves

you are a stupid

fucking

CUNT

Lentern

HSC

might be on to something

further proves

you are a stupid

fucking

CUNT
If you aren't going to do the sensible thing and block Lauchlan can you at the very least avoid quoting him so the rest of us don't have to see his dumbness? He's from the same political wing as me and I blocked him, why on earth haven't you?

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Support for Rudd plummets in WA - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

A new opinion poll shows support for the Federal Government in Western Australia has collapsed, despite Prime Minister Kevin Rudd's recent visit.

The Westpoll published in the West Australian newspaper shows Labor's primary vote has fallen to just 26 per cent compared with the Coalition's 52 per cent.

After preferences, the Coalition leads 62 per cent to 38 per cent.
The poll also has 19 per cent agreeing the RSPT will be positive to the state’s economy, against 63 per cent who say negative.
This is consistent with the WA result in the last Nielsen poll (63-37 2PP)

Such a result would see Stephen Smith lose his seat.

Existential

HSC
N/A

might be on to something

further proves

you are a stupid

fucking

CUNT
i said two words. KEVIN ELEVEN. not my problem if you have a heart attack every time someone doesn't make a comment against rudd.
and call me what you like. it has no effect whatsoever.

If you aren't going to do the sensible thing and block Lauchlan can you at the very least avoid quoting him so the rest of us don't have to see his dumbness? He's from the same political wing as me and I blocked him, why on earth haven't you?
tutututut

Support for Rudd plummets in WA - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

This is consistent with the WA result in the last Nielsen poll (63-37 2PP)

Such a result would see Stephen Smith lose his seat.
yeah labor have failed in the polls lately.... about time really. however i dont see it going further down any time soon.

Lentern

HSC
I noticed that Lenore Taylor again had quite a bit of column space in the herald yesterday and followed it up with a third consecutive appearance on Insiders, I wonder if she’s about to get promotion in Fairfax? God I hope not.

On insiders this morning Lenore said something to the effect of; it’s a bit unfair that Tony Abbott seems painted as the coalitions weaklink when he did such a good job getting them into a winning position to begin with. He hasn’t done a great job and the polls do infact reflect that. It was a stretch for David Marr to claim that the preferred prime minister poll was “all important” but what Tony Abbott has not done that Brendan Nelson and Malcolm Turnbull were doing reasonably well was present himself as an alternative prime minister of Australia and his party as the alternative government of Australia.

In Abbotts short time as leader he has moved Bronwyn Bishop and Kevin Andrews to the frontbench, he has described homosexuality as threatening, he tried to tip toe around workchoices, he has paraded himself as a climate skeptic and his party as the party of climate denial, he has proposed a new tax from opposition, he delivered by far the most bitter, negative, partisan budget reply of the four that I have seen, he arrived nervous, aggressive and hostile to a debate, he admitted an inability to restrain himself in hearty discussions, he named Barnaby Joyce as shadow minister for finance and is agitating for a return of TPV’s.

The coalition leads in the polls should not be over-valued; the criticisms of the prime minister pertain to a lack of action on climate change, an overly conservative social agenda and a tax on mining. The first two are issues Abbott will not win any mileage on, the third is an issue most unpopular with the governments enemies, a 400 person poll in the most conservative, wealthy, liberal voting state in the country is not cause for coalition champagne corks. Finally all the issues are reason for disappointment, unlikely will they lead to election day abandonment.

Meanwhile employment is high, the deficit is falling, GDP is healthy, the socceroos are playing in a world cup, more laptops are arriving in schools every day and many would be coalition voters think that if they just wait a little while longer they might get to have Malcolm Turnbull as prime minister. Tony Abbott hasn’t played the liberal party into a winning position, he’s gotten them swings of five percent plus in seats like O’conner, Indi and Wide Bay, in Eden Monaro Robertson, Mcewan and Dickson where the coalition needs the swing, the ALP will probably get a 2-3 percent swing.

badquinton304

HSC
On insiders this morning Lenore said something to the effect of; it’s a bit unfair that Tony Abbott seems painted as the coalitions weaklink when he did such a good job getting them into a winning position to begin with. He hasn’t done a great job and the polls do infact reflect that. It was a stretch for David Marr to claim that the preferred prime minister poll was “all important” but what Tony Abbott has not done that Brendan Nelson and Malcolm Turnbull were doing reasonably well was present himself as an alternative prime minister of Australia and his party as the alternative government of Australia.

Tony Abbott hasn’t played the liberal party into a winning position, he’s gotten them swings of five percent plus in seats like O’conner, Indi and Wide Bay, in Eden Monaro Robertson, Mcewan and Dickson where the coalition needs the swing, the ALP will probably get a 2-3 percent swing.
I think it all comes back to the fact that Abbott does not present a set of policies which collectively indicate the direction in which he wishes to take the country, it is as if he makes it up as he goes, for someone to make the transition from opposition leader to potential primeminister you should be somewhat visionary or in the very least have a body consistent policy.
These poll results would have been very similar had they had Turnbull and utegate never happened. The polls are just a reaction to rudds backflips and white elephants, they do not indicate any support for Abbott.

Lentern

HSC
I think it all comes back to the fact that Abbott does not present a set of policies which collectively indicate the direction in which he wishes to take the country, it is as if he makes it up as he goes, for someone to make the transition from opposition leader to potential primeminister you should be somewhat visionary or in the very least have a body consistent policy.
These poll results would have been very similar had they had Turnbull and utegate never happened. The polls are just a reaction to rudds backflips and white elephants, they do not indicate any support for Abbott.
Although it is beginning to get to the stage where the opposition should be releasing its policies I still don't think Abbott's problem has anything to do with his having a lackthereof. He hasn't come across as level headed, disciplined and in control. The Latham comparisons are warranted: Many people are coming to generally like him more than the prime minister but ultimately that's a far cry from thinking in their heart of hearts that it would be preferable to have a government lead by him.

Kim Il-Sung

HSC
Although it is beginning to get to the stage where the opposition should be releasing its policies I still don't think Abbott's problem has anything to do with his having a lackthereof. He hasn't come across as level headed, disciplined and in control.
These two factors are interrelated

Abbott's lack of discipline is the exact reason why some of his policies are so retarded

edit: I mean look at his asylum seeker proposal which was put forward without any prior consultation with his Cabinet

Lentern

HSC
Hmm, greens boost is more sustained than I thought it would be. If they continue to outpoll my expectations, eg beat the 10.5 I gave them for election day then they should get that QLD seat Slidey, I still don't concede it with a 10.5 national vote though.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Hmm, greens boost is more sustained than I thought it would be. If they continue to outpoll my expectations, eg beat the 10.5 I gave them for election day then they should get that QLD seat Slidey, I still don't concede it with a 10.5 national vote though.
I almost wish the Greens only get 10.5 on election day just so you would be proven wrong. ;)

Lentern

HSC
I almost wish the Greens only get 10.5 on election day just so you would be proven wrong. ;)
Mate if I manage to to call the greens vote down to a half a percent I'll be so giddy with self importance and egotism I'll happily cop one senate seat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)