• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Australian Politics (2 Viewers)

Lentern

HSC
Minchin doesn't add anything electorally, but if he wanted preselection in any seat other than Pyne's he'd get it, and even there it'd be a close run thing. He's good as leader in the Senate because it keeps him high up in the engine room without needing to be too much a part of the public face.
You think Minchin could win Kooyong? Or Wentworth? What he should really do is run for Dawson, Bidgood is going to get creamed next election and Minchin won't have had to knife anyone to get it. I don't think he beats Turnbull or Hockey electorally but they are a different faction. He is by far the best man left from the dry libs me thinks.

Lentern

HSC
I think one of the reason why turnbull isnt getting much of an approval rating throughout the polls is because he comes off as an "elitist". sort of a turn off with the average Joe from penrith.
Who cares about Penrith? libs shouldn't even run a candidate in Penrith, let the nationals have that loss all to themselves.

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
Turnbull doesn't sound pompous and he certainly isn't the pompous type to praise the Queen...

Lentern

HSC
Turnbull doesn't sound pompous and he certainly isn't the pompous type to praise the Queen...
Oh come now he does but is pomposity really a problem with Kevin the alternative? You telling me he picked up that accent on his farm in Queensland? You telling me he picked up that accent in a public school. Turnbulls ow/ou sounds are a bit posh, but every other vowel he sounds much more dinky die than Kevin.

King.BBjames

Banned
HSC
just choke on a cock and die you old hag.

ive seen this granny more times on my TV screen than all the other governor generals combined in my life.

fucking pro monarchist. get a clue.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
G-G tells world to act on climate change

Not a fan of her activist approach. It is vital that she be seen as impartial. She should not be involving herself in such issues.
Why not? She doesn't really have much else to do, except cut ribbons and attend fundraisers. She's human, and thus entitled to voice her opinions as long as they don't raise a conflict of interest with her job. Besides, it's not like anyone will pay any attention to her.
You know who shouldn't raise an opinion on anything political? The RBA Governor. And thank god Stevens comes off as boring enough not to.

Lex152

HSC
It amazing how quickly you moved on from that Left vs Right thing.

It was left wing revolutionaries who advocated building sewer systems (in france anyway).
My problem with the right is that they justify themselves on statistics, GDP might have gone up but you don't know why...
Selling public assests doesn't increase GDP because the private firm is any better than the public one, it does so (mostly) because it monetises systems that weren't previously monetised.

I'm not saying that the left are great managers... its just when you make these generalisations just think which left? WHich faction of the eft are you talking about.. ?
the keating/hawke left? the Whitlam left? The Howard left?

Lentern

HSC
Why not? She doesn't really have much else to do, except cut ribbons and attend fundraisers. She's human, and thus entitled to voice her opinions as long as they don't raise a conflict of interest with her job. Besides, it's not like anyone will pay any attention to her.
You know who shouldn't raise an opinion on anything political? The RBA Governor. And thank god Stevens comes off as boring enough not to.
Because she was not elected, her position is a relic from the old monarchist days that was supposed to be an incramental reduction of the crowns power. It is perenial threat to this democracy that her position even exists, she should not be doing squatt during a period of stability.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Because she was not elected, her position is a relic from the old monarchist days that was supposed to be an incramental reduction of the crowns power. It is perenial threat to this democracy that her position even exists, she should not be doing squatt during a period of stability.
It's a fair point that she wasn't democratically elected so maybe doesn't have the right to have an open opinion, but I think it's a bit far to say that her position itself a threat to our democracy. In reality no-one will pay attention to her opinion anyway, and if she did try to unreasonably execute certain powers that she maintains on paper, then the Australian public would be up in arms. She and the monarchy are only paper tigers.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
It amazing how quickly you moved on from that Left vs Right thing.

It was left wing revolutionaries who advocated building sewer systems (in france anyway).
My problem with the right is that they justify themselves on statistics, GDP might have gone up but you don't know why...
Selling public assests doesn't increase GDP because the private firm is any better than the public one, it does so (mostly) because it monetises systems that weren't previously monetised.

I'm not saying that the left are great managers... its just when you make these generalisations just think which left? WHich faction of the eft are you talking about.. ?
the keating/hawke left? the Whitlam left? The Howard left?
Say wha?...

Lentern

HSC
It's a fair point that she wasn't democratically elected so maybe doesn't have the right to have an open opinion, but I think it's a bit far to say that her position itself a threat to our democracy. In reality no-one will pay attention to her opinion anyway, and if she did try to unreasonably execute certain powers that she maintains on paper, then the Australian public would be up in arms. She and the monarchy are only paper tigers.
You are probably right in that if the governor general flexed her arm without cause it would probably be her final act in office. But that act could not be stopped, perhaps it could be undone but it couldn't be prevented under the present constitution.

Remember at the last election Howard asked Jeffery's to disolve parliament nearly a week in advance and two sessions of parliament still sat afterwards? Imagine parliament had tried to introduce a bill in one of those sessions and the governor general refused to give the bill royal ascen. The parliament didn't sit again for ages who knows the bill could have created a thousand jobs that wouldn't exist for months now.

I say this woman seems keen on being more than just an antique figurehead and we should abolish her job before she decides she will be. I don't care if she's a saint she has not been elected, and whilst she seems a nice enough lady, the next one might not be.

Lex152

HSC
I like to believe there is a little left in all of us :)

At the governer goneral debate, someone needs to have that power, whether it be the governor general or a president (if we take up a republican model) or the prime minister himself.
It's just a function of parliament.

Lentern

HSC
I like to believe there is a little left in all of us :)

At the governer goneral debate, someone needs to have that power, whether it be the governor general or a president (if we take up a republican model) or the prime minister himself.
It's just a function of parliament.
No they don't Royal Ascent has never been denied, it is a ritual, fixed election dates would remove the need to disolve parliaments. Parliament legislates as it does now without the perenial cloud threatening to direct a lighting bolt and turn the whole thing upside down, the cloud that be Quentin.

Lex152

HSC
No they don't Royal Ascent has never been denied, it is a ritual, fixed election dates would remove the need to disolve parliaments. Parliament legislates as it does now without the perenial cloud threatening to direct a lighting bolt and turn the whole thing upside down, the cloud that be Quentin.
I'd prefer to have another politican there just as a second check, I'd prefer that to check to be for Australia's interests rather than the queen's but you know, if push cam to shove I'm sureth eight decision would be made.

I don't like the idea of the prime minister having absolute power... (As in the US) just places to much trust in one person for me...
And when has the governor genral dissolved parliament, wasn't the Whitlam thing a double dissolution anyway?

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
just choke on a cock and die you old hag.

ive seen this granny more times on my TV screen than all the other governor generals combined in my life.

fucking pro monarchist. get a clue.

Actually I am a staunch republican. I even voted yes back in '99.

I believe the position of Governor General should be abolished. However whilst it does exist, the occupier of the office should limit themselves to being the unelected figurehead that stays out of matters of any political consequence or contention. I really cannot see why it would be desirable for her to be making comments on political matters. It all helps nail her flag to the mast. This is not advisable in an office that requires an impartial actor in the event of constitutional crisis. It is important that the GG be seen to be impartial.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)