• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Australian Politics (4 Viewers)

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Interesting question, why are you Catholic?

Is it entirely because of your parents sending you to church/scripture when you were young? Is the whole religion infrastructure built on generation upon generation just adopting religion because their parents did it - like death and taxes, just a staple of life?

I say this because my mother when I was young forgot to hand in my scripture attendance slip - so I went to non-scripture. This was when I was in primary school in 1996 because I distinctly remember watching the Atlanta Olympics in non-scripture. Basically, because I was not brought up with religion, I do not miss it or have no affiliation to it whatsoever.

I really wonder what would happen if people questioned just why they are so religious. It could be quite a hard question to answer.

Lentern

HSC
Interesting question, why are you Catholic?

Is it entirely because of your parents sending you to church/scripture when you were young? Is the whole religion infrastructure built on generation upon generation just adopting religion because their parents did it - like death and taxes, just a staple of life?

I say this because my mother when I was young forgot to hand in my scripture attendance slip - so I went to non-scripture. This was when I was in primary school in 1996 because I distinctly remember watching the Atlanta Olympics in non-scripture. Basically, because I was not brought up with religion, I do not miss it or have no affiliation to it whatsoever.

I really wonder what would happen if people questioned just why they are so religious. It could be quite a hard question to answer.
My parents are catholic, but my beliefs aren't identical to them. They go to confesion for example, I don't, I don't consider a mediator neccessary if I want to apologise for something. Irrational belief is hard to justify, obviousily because it's irrational and I recognise that but inherently I don't think I could be convinced of the absence of god and christ. I did a fair bit of reading on Islam and Buddhism but I didn't feel the inherent confidence I had in them. I'm reading a hindu book at the moment but doubt i'll feel drawn to that either. Maybe it's an illusion of the mind, but the composure, the certainty, the confidence I draw from prayer is probably the hardest thing to ignore.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
New QLD Galaxy poll.

51-49 in favour of the LNP.

Election day is 6 days away, will it be enough for a change of government? It'll be close.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Ofc not. The punters will be scared back to Labor. The only risk was if the polls had Labor as the clear favourite and the punters felt that they could indulge in minor treason

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
Who really knows. It would seem to suggest Bligh will be returned. The likelihood of hung parliament is increasing.

Lentern

HSC
I'm thinking Ms Bligh may just limp over the line. Winning the popular vote is too close to call. My instincts say Springborg will just win it however Antony Greens crystal ball says 53% is needed to force a change of government, that sounds abit much but I wouldn't be surprised if 51% will not be enough for Springborg.

Lentern

HSC
Resurrection of Dead Man Talking | smh.com.au

I'm now waiting for Lentern's 2000 word response, pointing out the flaws in Sheenan's logic and knowledge.
Why would he? It reads almost as though he frequents BOS and has agreed with some of my views. Hewson=inept idiot who for some reason thinks he should be handing out political advice, I said that. Costello-Not going to touch the leadership whilst Rudd is still bigger than Jesus, I said that. Rudd a two term government, I said that.

The only thing i'm not sure about is that Costello is actually worried about the economy. I suspect he's going to quite enjoy saying "I told you so" to anyone within earshot.

Infact re-reading the article, I'd be ready to rank Sheehan third in terms of having a clue when it comes to federal elections behind only Gerrard and Peter Brent.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
Current Newspoll results (only those released March):

Federal (House of Reps):
Labour: 44%
Coalition: 36%
Greens: 10%
2PP: 56%-44% for Labour

Victoria State:
Lab: 46%
Coalition: 33%
Greens: 15%
2PP: 60%-40% for Labour

Queensland State:
Lab: 41%
Lib-Nat: 43%
Greens: 8%
2PP: Undefined as Greens aren't preferencing Labour at all on a lot of tickets. Newspoll gives 49%-51% with Labour vs 'Non-Labour' based on the preference flows at the previous election.

NSW State:
Lab: 30%
Coalition: 42%
2PP: 56%-44% for the Coalition
Again, this 2PP may actually be quite wrong since it assumes the same preference flows as the previous election, which is unlikely as many Greens aren't happy, especially the significant amount of Labour voters who've shifted to the Greens against Labour.

The 2PP numbers are always a bit of a guess, but the actual party vote percents are accurate.

P.S. Pre-emptive fuck off to Lentern.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC

Federal (House of Reps):

Victoria State:

Queensland State:
2PP: Undefined as Greens aren't preferencing Labour at all on a lot of tickets. Newspoll gives 49%-51% with Labour vs 'Non-Labour' based on the preference flows at the previous election.

NSW State:
Again, this 2PP may actually be quite wrong since it assumes the same preference flows as the previous election, which is unlikely as many Greens aren't happy, especially the significant amount of Labour voters who've shifted to the Greens against Labour.

The 2PP numbers are always a bit of a guess, but the actual party vote percents are accurate.

Ok cool. So over around 4 years, you've managed 5 posts?

Who's alternative account are you?

Lentern

HSC

Federal (House of Reps):

Victoria State:

Queensland State:

NSW State:

Vic is bull butter because of the fires, it's allways very good publicity for the incubment to be able to be looking sensitive and upset yet remain stoic and commanding. It'll subside. Aside from that the pattern seems to be the younger the government the more popular it is. No surprises the SA poll taken in January has Mr Rann placed better than Queensland and worse than Canberra.

Lentern

HSC
This man is widely thought to be one of the governments weakest ministers. He gives off the impression that government is all about getting through publicised events without making a mistake. It makes him seem boring, unimpressive and out of his depth. This man is rarely criticised for his performances in ogvernment. He gives off the impression that government is all about getting through publicised events without making a mistake. This makes him seem reliable, composed and loyal to party leadership. This man is often lauded as a government minister. She gives off the impression that government is about getting through publicised events without making a mistake. It allowes her to defuse powder keg situations with ease and creates the impression that the government is happy and calling the shots, invaluable in a portfolio where the government is set to be attacked from both flanks.

We the public have no idea what goes on in cabinet, so it is harsh to judge the ministers performances on their actual policy. However it is fair to judge them on how they sell it to the public, and in that light anyone who thinks circumstance, appearance and voice don't matter have got to be kidding themselves. In the most public portfolio in the country if your not going to say anything ground shattering or atleast say nothing in a ground shattering way, you can't afford to look like a squat toad with glassess and have diesel engine for a set of vocal chords. However if your party is percieved to have tha balanced view amidst extremist pressure from both flanks the graceless recitations of party lines and the heavy handed croak can be quite useful.

Then again, maybe frontbenches don't really matter much as the leader is to most people the face and the symbol of the party. Maybe this is a far more important consideration when choosing the frontbench. Lest the inmates take over the asylum.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
This man is often lauded as a government minister. She gives off the impression that government is about getting through publicised events without making a mistake. It allowes her to defuse powder keg situations with ease and creates the impression that the government is happy and calling the shots, invaluable in a portfolio where the government is set to be attacked from both flanks.
I think she will be a little offended that you called her a man. She may want the same things as men, so I guess its understandable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)