• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Australian Politics (3 Viewers)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
A deal has been struck with the independents in relation to the definition of 'small business'. The definition will be '15 full-time equivalent workers'.

The Senate will thus not insist on its amendments and the Fair Work bill should be passed shortly.

Last edited:

Lentern

HSC
A deal has been struck with the independents in relation to the definition of 'small business'. The definition will be '15 full-time equivalent workers'.

The Senate will thus not insist on its amendments and the Fair Work bill should be passed shortly.
Damn Fielding is a whole lot of wank. Could he have done it anymore transparently, and what feels like weeks after Xenophon pulled the same stunt albeit more tactfully. I really hope the government does call a DD so we can stop these macho men independants pulling their block the bill on it's first go, let it through on it's second go so they can get into the news cycle stunt. Never used to see this kind of cheap grandstanding in Brian Harradines day.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
He will not lose a DD, however if he forces the electorate back the polls too early might cost him an increased majority.
If Rudd calls an early election, the Greens will gain about 3 to 6 Senators (partly, because of their current record high vote share, but also because they are 'owed' two seats due to the 3-year lag in Senate representation as only half are elected each time), Xenophon will pull somebody else up along with him, and Fielding will probably lose his seat. Labour would be unlikely to gain seats, but the Libs and Nats would probably lose more than Labour.

And for the first time, the Greens would almost certainly gain seats in the House.

It's not in Labour or the Coalition's interest to trigger a DD. At all.

Last edited:

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
If Rudd calls an early election, the Greens will gain about 3 to 6 Senators (partly, because of their current record high vote share, but also because they are 'owed' two seats due to the 3-year lag in Senate representation as only half are elected each time), Xenophon will pull somebody else up along with him, and Fielding will probably lose his seat. Labour would be unlikely to gain seats, but the Libs and Nats would probably lose more than Labour.

And for the first time, the Greens would almost certainly gain seats in the House.

Hey Shodan, where's Iron gone from the Aus Politics thread?

Lentern

HSC

Gain six senators that would be pretty extraordinary, they'd retain two in Tasmania for sure, got buckley's of getting a third, two in WA probably, might pick up one in SA but have next to no hope of getting two. NT and ACt they won't get any, QLD probably one, NSW easilly one, possible but unlikely second, Vic easy one but no hope second. I'm pretty sure Greens/labor will be able to get senate passage in the case of a DD(which would be alot easier from an ALP perspective then trying to woo Greens and Fielding at the same time) but I dunno about house seats. I know they did well at the last election but were still a fair way behind Melbourne(which is I presume what we're tallking about) and now his a cabinet minister lindsay has alot higher profile adn alot more resources at his disposal. Much the same story for Sydney. Cunningham is probably in play though if greens can get a good candidate there. Ms Rhiannon would do the party more good there then running for the senate.

Fielding would be the big loser, coalition would probably lose a little influence but they won't really make any gains or lossess that mean anything. Xenophon would lose alot of influence. Maybe Brown should try and induce a DD then?

kokodamonkey

HSC
Gain six senators that would be pretty extraordinary, they'd retain two in Tasmania for sure, got buckley's of getting a third, two in WA probably, might pick up one in SA but have next to no hope of getting two. NT and ACt they won't get any, QLD probably one, NSW easilly one, possible but unlikely second, Vic easy one but no hope second. I'm pretty sure Greens/labor will be able to get senate passage in the case of a DD(which would be alot easier from an ALP perspective then trying to woo Greens and Fielding at the same time) but I dunno about house seats. I know they did well at the last election but were still a fair way behind Melbourne(which is I presume what we're tallking about) and now his a cabinet minister lindsay has alot higher profile adn alot more resources at his disposal. Much the same story for Sydney. Cunningham is probably in play though if greens can get a good candidate there. Ms Rhiannon would do the party more good there then running for the senate.

Fielding would be the big loser, coalition would probably lose a little influence but they won't really make any gains or lossess that mean anything. Xenophon would lose alot of influence. Maybe Brown should try and induce a DD then?
Liberal Party would internally crush due to no money.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
OMG RUDD on NEWSHOUR
SBS
HURRY

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Newshour: The only context in which Kevin Rudd appears animated, interesting and engaging

FRESHHH even

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)