Australian Students Prize NSW Criteria (1 Viewer)

omar273

Oscarwatcher
HSC
Apart from the Premier's Award, there's a Commonwealth funded HSC prize:http://www.dest.gov.au/sectors/scho..._prizes/australian_students_prize/default.htm

Does anyone know the criteria for the NSW HSC recipients? They award approx 160 people from NSW per year. About 10 of these are Olympiad winners, so that leaves 150.

If they used UAI as the criteria, the cutoff would be around 99.8-99.85. But I have known people who had UAI's of 99.7 who received this prize.

Others have said, that they use HSC marks - eg 94+ in 10 units. But again some successful recipeients have not fulfilled this.

Does anyone, maybe a past recipient know the criteria? And why do they announce it so late? (Usually June)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Hmm well it can't be UAI because I have a lot of friends who received 99.85+ (including my sister) and none of them got such an award. Maybe it takes into account extra curricular activities or community involvement?.. or do you have to apply for it manually or be nominated?

sarahn

HSC
in victoria, ive heard they give them to the kids that got really high rankings in an individual subject...does that help you?

omar273

Oscarwatcher
HSC
i don't think it takes into account extra curricualr activities. It says that the board of studies, using their own criteria sends the list to them.

Danoz The Great

HSC
Maybe it is given on the basis of financial need?
I have never heard of anybody in my area who has recieved this award and this is the first I've heard of it.

I'm also guessing it would be for public school students, since it is awarded the DEST.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
Yeah, I get the feeling that coming 1st in certain subjects will get you the award. Along with generally excellent marks and a couple of state-rankings maybe.

omar273

Oscarwatcher
HSC
again, i know ppl who have gotten it without achieving any state ranking...

EmMindelan

done, and happy
HSC
Yeah, it's definitely not just for public school students, several girls from my school [Abbotsleigh] have received it in recent years. The criteria seems to be varying and a bit weird...and the Department doesn't seem to want to tell us what it is...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)