Australia's Favourite Album (1 Viewer)

BlackDragon

HSC
Don't know whether this should be in the TV forum or music forum, but the Australia's favourite Album show is on tonight with Myf from Triple J (as voted by you). So what's your favourite album of all time and any predictions for australia's favourite album or top ten?

HSC
interesting results.

i don't remeber the order exactly but i think it went something like this.

10. U2 -The Joshua Tree
9. Meatloaf- Bat out of Hell
8. RHCP- Sex, Blood, Sugar, Magik
7. Led Zeppelin - Four
6. Nirvana - Nevermind
5. Beatles - Seargeant Pepper's.......
4. The Beatles- Abbey Road
3. Radiohead - OK Computer
2. Jeff Buckley- Grace
1. Pink Floyd- Dark Side of the Moon

The countdown was very biased to what is currently cool. Anthony Callea was no. 30 something on the countdown!!!! what is going on?

I'm surprised how high up Jeff Buckley was. I've liked him for a few years now (i was only 6 ish when he was alive so i wasn't a fan then). it seems like suddenly he has become very mainstream and everyone is a fan. he recently got no. 2 for VH1's favourite lyric for Last goodbye.

Last edited:

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
only watched for the snippet of jeff buckley haha

*Lozzie*

HSC
it was surprisisng

i voted for abbey road --- the beatles and happy they were 4th

also it was good pink floyd took it out and i really like dark side of the moon although i dont belive its their best album---- there most famous yes but i dont think its the best cause i like wish you were here better but thats just personal opinion and i know people will disagree with me

but yeah i was surprised with what got in to the top 10 espescially with jeff buckley and radiohead and the lack of rolling stones and ACDC in the top 10 was very surprising

T

Testpilot

The way they asked you to vote made for interesting results. I say this because it was a ABC show and they typically have older viewers (I'm sterotyping for the sake of my argument), yet they asked for the vote to be done by sms or online, which I think may have resulted in some older people not voting. This can been seen in the mix of modern/older albums in the result. I know my parents (late 40s) weren't too happy about the lack of 'their' albums in the top 10 (e.g. No Bob Dylan, Stones, AC DC, Neil Diamond) and they cited the number of sales those artists had in the 70s/80s. However this is arogance on my parents behalf because they assume that "their music" is better than "your music" (i.e. the post 1990 stuff, even though i like music from before the 90s as well).

I guess what I'm trying to do above is justify why some people were suprised by the results. I do sought of agree with the suprised people as there was some albums in the top 100 that didn't deserve to be there (e.g. at #32 Anthony Callea —Anthony Callea, I'm sorry but i do not think that any 'idol' should be in the list as they are manufactured-and not to mention shit). I think certain bands such as the Stones, AC DC etc were unlucky to miss out. But hey, nobody can complain as it was a majority vote.

The Top 100

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackDragon

HSC
yes the top 100 was pretty dodge.
the top 10, however, had some really great albums in it. but yeah, in any list like this, it is impossible to satisfy everyone if anyone. it greatly depends on the generations of people that tend to vote and current trends and likes. i thought it was pretty good though. but like most people, i thought it should've had a few more, perhaps, less modern/rock orientated artists in it.

dead cactus

captain tightpants
HSC
i personally liked the moment when one of the panellists (was it judith lucy?) decided to shut up Dicko's ridiculous wanker comments with "This from the man who brought Shannon Noll into the world." Good on them.

daledugahole

HSC
Hehe that was a classic moment.

I wasn't too surprised with some of the Top 10. I was confidant Joshua Tree, Nevermind and some Beatles would be there. It was a given. I was a bit thrown with Meatloaf I didn't realise he was that big here. For some odd reason (maybe psychic abilities) I had a strong feeling that Grace would be quite high up. I must admit I voted for OK Computer it's such a good album. The biggest shock was no AC/DC I was sure one of their albums would have made it into the top 10.

anniea89

HSC
(e.g. at #32 Anthony Callea —Anthony Callea, I'm sorry but i do not think that any 'idol' should be in the list as they are manufactured-and not to mention shit).
Please get off your high horse.

daledugahole

HSC
I think the list really reflected the ABC audience which are most likely to vote.
ie. Baby Boomers who listen to 70s rock and the 20-30 year olds who only listen to Triple J and only watch the ABC and SBS aka my sisters friends.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
Velvet Underground and Nico made it, how cool is that? Ditto Kind of Blue. And Blood on the Tracks over Highway 61, wasn't expecting that. Callea seems to be the only idol in there, and he's placed quite high.

spiny norman

HSC
Meatloaf and Red Hot Chili Peppers are ridiculous to be there.

Jeff Buckley and Zeppelin IV should not make the top ten.

Pretty average list in all, even ignoring Callea there are some jokes of albums on the list. Also, only two blacks in the entire list (both awesome, mind you) and completely ignoring all rap as a result (no country also). Terrible list.

ledzeppelin

HSC
spiny norman said:
Meatloaf and Red Hot Chili Peppers are ridiculous to be there.

Jeff Buckley and Zeppelin IV should not make the top ten.
um.... why not?

spiny norman said:
Pretty average list in all, even ignoring Callea there are some jokes of albums on the list. Also, only two blacks in the entire list (both awesome, mind you) and completely ignoring all rap as a result (no country also). Terrible list.
keep in mind it was australia's FAVOURITE album, not the greatest album

T

Testpilot

anniea89 said:
Please get off your high horse.
Oh no I've offended somebody with no ability to think independantly. Of course I must appologise, Anthony Callea is the greatest artist in music history.

spiny norman

HSC
ledzeppelin said:
um.... why not?
It's good but overrated. Half the tracks were great once, but overplaying has caused them to lose anything too special in them (which is why When The Levee Breaks is the best song on it). Zeppelin were a good band (peaked with the first two albums, afterwards they fell into inconsistency) but Zeppelin IV would not be ranked ahead of their first two albums, nor Physical Graffiti. They also had began taking themselves far too seriously by this stage, with their whole paganist bullshit being amusingly terrible. How you could rate this album over their three aforementioned albums, or Jethro Tull's Aqualung (for another metal album from the period) is beyond me. How it could be on the list from which Thriller is absent is beyond me (if you're going to choose an album with a shitload of songs tailor made for the radio to play ad nauseum).

lengy

HSC
Woot! Absolution at #59! Also A Rush Of Blood To The Head at #41. I never understood why The Beatles were great but oh well. I didn't have a problem with the list except for maybe Jeff Buckley. I find it hard to really get into some of those albums but understand why they are up there.

ArtOfLosing

HSC
I thought the list ws good - my two favs didn't get a mention but i didn't expect them to. I voted for The Dresden Dolls - Self titled and The Dandy Warhols - 13 tales...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)