Autonomy Day! (1 Viewer)

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
Email to Teds

"Hi Everyone

Please read the attached email as it provides important information regarding Autonomy Day next Friday. Please note that the entire campus including the colleges has been declared an alcohol free zone with the only alcohol that day to be available at the Bar on the Hill and the Autonomy Day compound. This is a big change from previous years. I understand that Uni Security and outside security will be patrolling all of the carparks ( so no drinking out of car boots) and the pathways etc - so this will effect people wandering between the Bar and the colleges and indeed means that drinking in the cellar and our buildings is now also not possible. I am seeking more information about the effect on us.

The other important thing for new students is the cost - it will be much more expensive if you enter the Autonomy Day site if you do not have your union discount / membership card, or sticker on your student card. If you need to go and get these items from the Union do so before next Friday.

Following is the University's official email - please read on.....

Cheers - Luce

Dear students and colleagues,

A Message from Professor John Cater, Pro Vice-Chancellor Engineering and Built Environment

I write to you on behalf of the University to inform you of preparations undertaken for this year's Autonomy Day, which will be celebrated on Friday 28 July. Events on the day are coordinated by University of Newcastle Union Ltd (UNUL) and will this year be centred on Bar on the Hill and the carpark immediately between it and the Commonwealth Bank building on the Callaghan campus.

Further information on the events planned and a full program for the day is available from UNUL at the Bar on the Hill, Shortland Union or Hunter Cafeteria. Please check with UNUL on the program and particular events that are of interest to you.

Please note that this year the entire campus, with the exception of the designated area around the Bar on the Hill, is alcohol free.

On behalf of the University I wish you an enjoyable, relaxing and safe celebration of Autonomy Day 2006.

Professor John Carter
Pro Vice-Chancellor
Faculty of Engineering & Built Environment"

1. Police and extra security (including licensing inspectors) from 6am.
2. Only allowed to leave BOTH three times.
3. Get your limited edition FRAT stubby holder :)

Question to the other colleges: Have you guys gotten this or similar?

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
as if they'll enforce the alcohol free zones
whatever
just take our booze to auchmuty and pass out

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
how did i know there would be a post about autonomy day here????

you haven't seen anybody???? venture over to the hunter side... drunken bums everywhere!!

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
lol.

a friend of mine said there was hundreds at BOTH. Tanner bar is pretty quiet.

I haven't ventured across ring road yet to have a look and probably wont.

i guess the more studious of us hang around the shortland side.

And since when does pinkies close at 3:30 on a friday?! i wanted a sugar fix and the only place i could find one was at bites. I so wanted marshmallows :(

i've also noticed tonnes of non-students here...like kids that look about 16 and one guy who yelled out "you have TWO bars?!" to one of his friends. It was sorta obvious they weren't locals.

Justine2408

HSC
You just weren't trying hard enough Highwayman :)

The car park near of the BOH was full of people, band palying, many many people in 'interesting' clothes ... I saw at least one fairy, many 'No Garry' cheerleaders, one large white rabbit, many girls with writing all over them, at least one girl who didn't make it past midday ..... (vomiting outside of the Student Services Building!) and many many more!

I just walked past about lunch time - unfortuantely I couldn't get involved because I had to go to work at 1.30:(

Last edited:

Craig

there goes my hero
HSC
Justine2408 said:
You just weren't trying hard enough Highwayman :)

The car park near of the BOH was full of people, band palying, many many people in 'interesting' clothes ... I saw at least one fairy, many 'No Garry' cheerleaders, one large white rabbit, many girls with writing all over them, at least one girl who didn't make it past midday ..... (vomiting outside of the Student Services Building!) and many many more!
Lol, that fairy was a girl who I do politics with. Awesome girl
Anyways I totally agree with this statement! This has been the best autonomy day I’ve been involved in, much better than last year in my view (even though last year was awesome in its own right). I started at 6am with a tequila breakfast, which was pretty late considering that people on campus were woken at 3.30 with bells. Got to boh at about 7 and didn’t stop to about 5pm, which was when the place was shutting up. I'm just sobering up a bit before heading into town tonight. I think I better call my soccer coach and tell him there’s no way I’m playing tomorrow :)

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Fuck, yesterday was awesome.

Justine2408 said:
...many girls with writing all over them...
Oh yeah, I learnt a valuable lesson NOT to wear light coloured shirts when going to uni events.

Craig

there goes my hero
HSC
The_highwayman said:
alcohol is over-rated.
Please tell me you're not serious

@transcendent- autonomy day is a celebration marking the day when Newcastle became autonomous from unsw.

moz

Med Student
HSC
man, our college got toilet-papered by the staff and looked awesome! I managed to sleep in till 3:30am-4am before the noise woke me up. Donned the college autonomy day shirt and had an awesome breaky.... ahhhh beer on weetbix, the traditional autonomy day breakfast of IH... (to be honest its ok to begin with.. but on your second bowl it gets really really sour)... then good ol BOTH and then finally some warm sunny beach action then back home to study some more.

good day for all i think! (except those few here in college who didnt make it past 4:30am.. poor souls)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)