Average raw mark for hsc engineering is... (1 Viewer)

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
ALWAYS either 39% or 40%!!!!!!!!!!
Did anyone know that?
An IA teacher at my skool who's markd hsc engo for 20 or 30 years told us.
He also said that since average is so low, if we got above average, depending on how much, we'd get scaled pretty good.
I got 60% raw in my trials for engo, if i got this in hsc, what do ppl think i'd get scaled to?????

twig4422

HSC
Well i'm not sure about that because i got 75% in the trials and if we get scaled that much i would be doing pretty well. But heres hoping hey.:)

Nosviper

HSC
I doubt a 60% raw mark in the exam will get scaled that much. It would by no means be a band 5 or 6. I got 78% for the trial and could have easily gotten 5 or 6 extra marks. Not everyone is bad at engineering I have learnt alot about the exams and how they expect you to answer. I always found the exams quite strange.

I have done all the hsc past maths questions and about 10 different trials so pretty much am prepared for any mathematics question they give us.

1) Multiple Choice: Pot Luck this one is
2) Societal & History - Should be able to get 10/10 even a non enginering studentt can answer this question
3) Middle Section - This section sorts the band 6s from 5s. It is the largest section of the paper and over 2 hours should be spent on it. Each topic is tested.
4) Enginering Report- Should be able to get full marks, as long as you mention basics like aesthetics, fatigue, corrosion, safety, watever

Here is a little tip I was given and seems to have worked so far. For the very broad questions try and relate any of your answers to SAFETY !!!!!. If you mention safety and relate it well you will ALWAYS get the marks.

I am aiming for above 90 in the exam on thursday. The drawing questions can sometimes be difficult especially assembly drawings. If the questions are not too obscure I belive it is possible. I would be very happy with a mark over 80.

What is everyone else aiming for?

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
lol im best at the drawing questions!!! Calcs, im crap at, and others i can just crap on about safety or aesthetics to get marks.
Normally, eg in half yrly, yrlys, i'd get like 45-50%, so 60% was surprising.
I hope to get at least high 60's, realistically i reckon i could get in 70s.

chrisayoub90

HSC
haha its omicron.
i want 90+ which can be done i think.
i think the problem with engineering is people interprate the questions to be alot harder then they are, and forget alot of the simple valid answers.

HSC
hmmmmm, i got 85 in trials, i think imma get 90+ hopfulli, im just worried that i dun stress out, like....i went to liverpool libary the other day, and there were these ppl doin this engineering question that they couldnt do, and i'v done that question b4 with ease, n e way, so i was like "hey.....u need help" n they were like "shure"...n e way, i fkn stressed out n got nervous n shyt, and forgot how to do it!!!!-_-.......hmmm o well, n e way, i dun think 60% raw will get u into band 5 n 6, let alone in the 70's, n e way, goodluck everyone on thursday!:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

HSC
hey is 75+ considered at band 5, thats what my teachers said? I got 75 in trials and looking to get in the 80's on thursday. Hope there is not many drawings, should be sweet. Good luck.

2syllables

Dango Daikazoku
HSC
remember people ranks in engineering are also important let alone raw marks (thats why they call it raw marks) each school marks differently, also the hsc is not just about the individual its also how do u good as a cohort, its better for a whole group to do good than just one guy/girl

my rank at school was 2nd - im still pissed of by it! - guy beat me by 0.2!!!! :burn:

thinks to consider:

1. calculation i.e frictions, concurrent forces: if it looks to hard for mathematically i would always always!! do graphical espeically for hard frictional forces since they give or take about 10% of final answer

2. Muliple choice: usually they ask how a think is made ie. compression molding etc
(USe the john rochford books)
3 Middle Section: do what nosviper said, markers say this section is where students lose the most mark (USe the john rochford books). Every topic is equally tested (20%)

Historical and social: if u got copeland: study for each chapter they really good i.e. developments of aircraft, telephone, bridges e.t.c

If something about telecommunication development i always do telephone - i.e from coxial cable to optical fibre

Aeronatical development: blackbox, material selection, particpation hardening, jet engine

civil development/his: pre-stressed concrete = longer spans

personal/public: bike - alloy steel to carbon

Aiming: 90 i guess :)

Horyd

HSC
i got 95 raw for trial, and marks ranged from 29-95 with an average of about 65 in my class. For notes, i made mine from Copeland (he's my engineering teacher) and distance-ed notes with some Excel.

I agree with the over-analysis of questions things, i hate when i decide to write a mini-essay and over-look the really simplistic solution. Btw for people saying they want to get above 90 raw in the hsc exam, thats very rare, the highest mark ever is 92. I'm aiming for anything over 87, that'll be good i hope

chrisayoub90

HSC
haha im allowed to aim high arent i? 1 and a bit more days of study fellas, get ur game faces on

Nosviper

HSC
Some tips for engineernig

1) Always try to relate the early questions to SAFETY.. never fails

2) Take your time and care with calculations. Make sure you know all your conversions. It is very easy to make a mistake in engineering calculataions. Under the pressure you may forget to convert your mass to a force.. lol thats what I did once. When doing stress problems make sure if they are asking for normal stress or shear stress.. they are both different answers.
e.g
big: nano. milli. micro
small: kilo, mega, giga
units. N/m2 = pascals and N/mm2 = megapascals.
Km/h to m/s (divde by 3.6)..... m/s to km/h (x3.6)

3) Dont spend all your time trying to remember the 1st aircraft or bicycle type those questions are never asked. Spend the majority of your time for the history part on affects on society/enviroment and materials development

4) DIAGRAMS. a diagram can always explain a concept better than words. Even if they dont ask for a diagram and you know one put it in. E.g vulcanised rubber cross linking, equaxed. elongaed. forged grain strucutres

5) KEY WORDS read the questions. Highlight the key points to the quesiton before you do it. The main (higher order) words are
Discuss: points FOR and AGAINST
Justify: points FOR
Evalute/Assess : Your personal judgement

6) I have found the exams have heavy emphases on heat treatments and materials and electronics.

7) If all else failes ur fucked.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Thanx for the tips :)
Heat treatments, materials and electronics eh??
I gotta remember the heat treatments............ :worried:

Nosviper

HSC
There is always a question on reccomended a certain heat treatment for some sort of mechanical property that would either give is toughness or scratch resistance or something. Then you have to go ahead and explain hardening, annealing or whatever mentioning the change in properties it provides.

Anyway im off to read my notes again. The only thing we havent been taught is how to draw transition drawings.. havent seen a quesntion on that yet to fingers crosssed.

thehootman

HSC
My teacher (who has marked HSC) said that a band 6 mark is around 85. Ie you get pushed up 5 marks. I got 92% in my trial, and that was hard, being a selective school trial.

stpjono

HSC
oi... only 3 hours to go until we needed be discussing it

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
man todays test (HSC OMG !!!!!) was sorta kinda hard!!!
wasnt soooo hard, just not easy at all...i WILL get above state average of 40% tho ;)

thehootman

HSC
HOly shit the average is 40%...... i better get a band 6 or i will lose total faith in the nsw education system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)