Average UAI

JackyS

HSC
Whats the AVERAGE UAI for your school?! Do you guys get told that?!
Like James Ruse, its prolli 99, wondering does your school tell you whats your average UAI each year~

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
actually for ruse it'd probably be in the 98s maybe high 98s because there's always a few dropouts (comparatively) who score <90. i'm pretty sure :confused:

and no schools never release the average uai. in fact besides ruse i don't know any schools which release MEDIAN uais. i guess all you can really look at are the school rankings but the results are skewed because it only calculates the PROPORTION of students who scored band 6s.

tennille

HSC
Many schools are unaware of what UAI their students' achieve. UAC doesn't release UAIs to schools.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
i dunno, our school generally ends up with a handful of people (20 say) who do really well, a handful who do shit, (like less than 60) and everyone else falls somewhere in between, generally 80's. so if i had to guess i would say our average is probably 70 or 80 something.

shimmy&shine

HSC
I got told what the estimated average UAI was at my school last year.
(well I was like to my careers advisor - 20? 60? 99? 95? 92? Tell me! - and I waited till he stopped shaking his head, and nodded instead. :))
Anyway, last year, over 25 girls got over 98.5 UAI (from memory) last year, and the average UAI was 95.
It's quite a soothing fact to keep in mind.

LottoX, you can't be serious!?
NSBHS has a 98 UAI average - wow!
But in the overall school rankings last year, my school was ranked above yours.
*thumbs crossed*

Last edited by a moderator:

JackyS

HSC
well how abt this, in our school annual report, we always get details on how much people get "high bands" in each faculty.
Eg, "60% of pupils obtained high bands in adv english"
high bands being 5/6 i spose...
At a TOP 20 selective school:
what final HSC mark, do you think you would be given if you were 60/120(average) student in advanced english...
opposed to what final HSC mark do you think students @ schools that aint selective would get if they were average?!

if 60% of people of people obtained high bands, would that mean an AVERAGE student at this selective school would get low band 5's?!

i find a lot of information put in the annual report a load of bull, i actually think its made up...

Always

HSC
The average at my school is around 80 - 85!! :s There are lots of girls who are good but also a handful who don't really care.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Well, they've been giving the whole "50% of our girls consistently achieve a UAI over 90" and "10% of the grade will get a UAI of 99 and over" statistics for many years now. That's so helpful, honestly :rolleyes: I mean, I knew I was gonna get a UAI between 90 and 99, so that vague 40% doesn't really mean anything. I was hoping to get a UAI of 95+ at the time, which I did, but not without shitting myself first, searching for schools whose statistics roughly matched ours, and seeing if they provided anything on UAIs of 95+ or 97+.

I doubt most schools would calculate, let alone release, a mean UAI for their cohorts, if they even knew enough UAIs to base their calculations on. Ruse's 99.xx thing is just the median UAI. The mean would be much lower--there are a few Rusers hanging around in pharmacy and I would think their UAIs would be 97-98-ish, and I'm sure there's always one or two outliers at the bottom end of the 90s range.

B35tY

HSC
Lotto, i would've thought our median was lower than 98, maybe 96 or so.

Usually about 1/3 of the grade or a bit more make the "high achievers" assembly, and that's for people that get 98+ right? So 98 can't be median.

T

Testpilot

At my school we party when students pass. Our average UAI would be 60 or so. Last year one kid got a UAI of 97 and the teachers are still drunk (well almost, they were that happy).

volition

arr.
HSC
I heard the school DOES get a list of UAI's, but I'm not really sure, and I doubt they do.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
lala2 said:
Ruse's 99.xx thing is just the median UAI. The mean would be much lower--there are a few Rusers hanging around in pharmacy and I would think their UAIs would be 97-98-ish, and I'm sure there's always one or two outliers at the bottom end of the 90s range.
yeah i think i mentioned that earlier, read!

but its almost a given that about 100 people score 99+ at ruse (there were 99 premier award recipients in 04 ..) and so even if there's a couple of dropouts who score 97 as you say or even sub 90s the mean only gets dragged a point back or so to maybe 98 (its also a smaller cohort about 170 people). that would be most accurate for the mean in my impartial opinion ;)

and

LottoX said:
Median should be around 98. I'm not so sure about average.
you've got to be sh*tting me. lolz http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2005/12/16/1134703611489.html

north sydney boys while outperforming High (who are damn smart .. they'll probably overtake nsbhs this year) ranking 6 out of NSW schools would probably mean their mean is around the 95 mark. of course i'm guestimating a bit here but it def wouldn't be 98 or 97 that's for sure.

even shimmy said hornsby has a median of around 95; she however was a bit more modest in her statements and i'd probably push it up to say 97. maybe even 98?

baulko was about 98 while ruse is always 99+ for median. don't mess with the netz. the information is all there :eek:

shimmy&shine

HSC
bobness said:
even shimmy said hornsby has a median of around 95; she however was a bit more modest in her statements and i'd probably push it up to say 97. maybe even 98?
I think if you have lower expectations, you get a more thrilling surprise! :)

Wow, james ruse got 99 premier awards?

At my school, only 24 got premier awards i believe. But with that in mind, we have a comparatively smaller cohort. 119 girls last year i believe.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
don't double post :D

LottoX said:
Okay, maybe I should rephrase that.

Median should be around 98. I'm not so sure about average.
yes you say the median is 98 and then

LottoX said:
I'm talking about median, not mean. I reckon our mean would be like 93-95.
you reiterate that's what you believe the median is. 98 :p although your guestimate for the mean seems alright

doesn't matter you're a cool guy lottox. bah school pride is overrated though. come to think of it, i'm getting into uni spirit.

usyd ftw! or i guess its a small chance .. uts ftw :eek:

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
i cannot believe i clicked on that link

of course the part starting from "doesn't matter.." was not part of my argument so i suggest you read it again.

even lottox should agree that he initially said the nsbhs median was 98, mean was 95. i just refuted this by arguing median is 95, mean should be 93 (the lower limit of what he posted)

it doesn't get much simpler than this son. using authority figures (i.e. wikipedia LOL!) to defend your own views suggests you can't even argue properly. otherwise you must be very insecure in trying to present your own view, at the very least you could have said "what you used was a chewbacca defence because of *this*, *this* and *this* stfu get off the netz you don't make any sense fag"

you have something constructive to say ?

rahrah

¬_¬
HSC
Hmm, I think the median UAI at Baulko is actually around 97.7 (so they keep telling us).

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Our school is different every year depending on who is in the grade. Some years it might be mid-80s whereas other years are just high 70's...every now and then we get someone who does unusually well....like 98ish

This is how our school finds out our UAIs:
They use SAM or some other program to predict our UAI from our HSC results....and then they ring us up and even if you're happy with the mark and you can get into hte course you want they will still tell you you did bad.

Well, unless you're the principals grand son (=grandson,son,nephew or 3 of the 4 school owners) who no matter how horrible they get during the year, still manage to be ranked top in all their classes...how strange is that? to say you would have thought someone who consitantly got high 90's in english asssessment marks would have received a much higher rank than someone barely making 80's.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
ari89 said:
This is how our school finds out our UAIs:
They use SAM or some other program to predict our UAI from our HSC results....and then they ring us up and even if you're happy with the mark and you can get into hte course you want they will still tell you you did bad.
lol, what the hell. why?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)