Average UAI (1 Viewer)

Shoelia

HSC
I'm well aware this is a horribly general question and that there are so many different factors that determine it, but I was wondering what the average UAI is. Like is it 60's, 70's 80's or something more specific.

Shoelia

HSC
the middle doesn't nessasarily mean average. Does it?

undalay

HSC
scaredytiger said:
um. considering its a ranking between 1 and 100.

i hate to be a smart arse...

its 50.
i hate to be a smart arse.
but you're wrong.

tha uai considers those that drop out at year 10.

so technically they don't get a uai as a such, but they're still calculated in the ranking.
So basically out of all those that do recieve a uai, the average is around 60

Schoey93

HSC
its approx. 68.
it's (fixed).

Also... I'm not trying to sound cocky here, but... what stats do you have to back that up (or is it just a very rough approximation)?

Stupid Asians doing 4-unit maths who can't even do statistics!!! I don't know what to say...

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
it's (fixed).

Also... I'm not trying to sound cocky here, but... what stats do you have to back that up (or is it just a very rough approximation)?

Stupid Asians doing 4-unit maths who can't even do statistics!!! I don't know what to say...
rofl do you even read the UAC publishments? or are you just arguing for the sake of arguing?

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Tommy mate he can't even work out what he's gonna do in school next year, sometime he was 3U maths other time he's flaming the crap out of maths. The average UAI is about 67, seeing as 17% of kids drop out (I think).

imsopostmodern

cool as a kuhncumber
HSC
the top 16% of the state get a uai of above 90. it's NOT proportionate as in top 10% of state get 90 or above.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
isn't there different numbers of slots for each rank?

like there's far more people can get 70 than 100, for instance

so the mean might not be exactly halfway between 30 and 100

Schoey93

HSC
rofl do you even read the UAC publishments? or are you just arguing for the sake of arguing?

Arguing for the sake of arguing, pretty much... lol. :D

And Tim I think that's your name, anyways it's 4-unit guy

... my point was
... people who do 4-unit maths are ill-equipped for University study in at least one common university subject that EVERY decent university student has to do:

STATISTICS

can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em... ;)

Schoey93

HSC
the top 16% of the state get a uai of above 90. it's NOT proportionate as in top 10% of state get 90 or above.

That's because people who left school at the end of Year 10 are included in the UAI calculation, isn't it?

And I don't think UAI calculation is as complex as it sounds somehow... it sounds to me as though there are a few people, maybe a dozen people on a UAC Scaling Committee... who simply say something like this:

- The average mark in the Mathematics (Extension 2) exam was 60%
- OK then
- That means that it is a very difficult paper and a very difficult course
- Therefore
- Anyone who scores above the average mark will get scaled up
- therefore
- a Raw Mark of 61
- shall be scaled up in proportion with the scaling of other subjects where the exam paper marks were generally poor, such as Chemistry, and Mathematics (Extension 1)
- so we shall scale a mark of 61 up to...
- say, "65, guys?"
- UAC Committee Members: "Sounds good boss, now off to scale some Physics papers and assessment marks, yay!" :)

Seriously... how complicated could it get... it seems pretty much to me like that's how they would scale... I doubt you need a Bachelor of Mathematics (Advanced) from UNSW just to get on to the UAC Scaling Committee! ;)

I bet you any of the 4-unit guys on this forum could make a good living scaling marks and marking HSC papers... provided they do at least one Uni degree first...
:)
james

P.S: Wouldn't scaling be done with line equations? We all know that simply equation of a line, don't we? y=mx+b
so do they use something like that to determine the spread of marks for an HSC course in line form, on a graph?

???

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)