Aviation Degrees (1 Viewer)

jdennis

HSC
Just tossing up a few options in regards to university study at the moment.

Does anyone have any information or advice (or know of anyone else that does) on aviation degrees in Australia?

I know UNSW, Swinburne in Victoria and Griffith Uni offer degrees that combine flying training with theory-based degrees as well. This is what I'm looking for as a sort of "back up plan" if the flying doesn't work out. I'm looking for any experiences anyone has had with each and whether they have a good reputation.

If anyone is able to help at all I'd really appreciate some advice.

Thanks.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
So basically you wanna be a pliot..

UNSW do offer aviation degree BUT u have to pay 132K just for flight training and it isn't covered by HECS. If you really wanna become a pilot there are institution who provide flight training and theory practice which is covered by FEE-HELP such as Sydney Flight College or Bas Air.

Airlines really doesnt matter if u have a degree or diploma, all they care about the experience you have

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
I am not sure about that.... I think the certified CSSA doctor makes a judgement if your eyes are eligible for flying.
You mean CASA, Civil Aviation Safety Authority? Yes they are very apprehensive about medically fit applicants. Anyway for the the OP, Aviation is a career that is rewarding but to start out you need the $$$ lots of them. Nonetheless it's your hours that they are looking for, you need a couple thousand of them too to be elegible for a Second officer in a commercial airliner company. I actually want to become a pilot as well if med doesn't work out but I'm not letting my hopes down I've still got a looong way to go [emoji3]
[emoji574]

jdennis

HSC
zohair97 said:
So basically you wanna be a pliot..

UNSW do offer aviation degree BUT u have to pay 132K just for flight training and it isn't covered by HECS. If you really wanna become a pilot there are institution who provide flight training and theory practice which is covered by FEE-HELP such as Sydney Flight College or Bas Air.

Airlines really doesnt matter if u have a degree or diploma, all they care about the experience you have
You can put most of the UNSW flying fees on FEE-HELP. You have to pay $40k though for one part of the course that isn't covered, which is leading me away from them a bit, as I'm not sure how I'd stump up this cash.

I am not sure about that.... I think the certified CSSA doctor makes a judgement if your eyes are eligible for flying.
I'm pretty sure they allow you to wear glasses if that corrects your vision problems. From memory you have to carry a spare pair of glasses with you while flying if this is the case.

I'm not 100% sure on this though. I hope it's the case, otherwise I'm fucked.

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
I'm not 100% sure on this though. I hope it's the case, otherwise I'm fucked.
I have a friend doing aviation at unsw and i remember him saying you have to be 100% medical-wise. You have to pass certain fitness, medical, "smartness" requirements. By "smartness" I mean like "here is 3 patterns, which one comes next"

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
I have a friend doing aviation at unsw and i remember him saying you have to be 100% medical-wise. You have to pass certain fitness, medical, "smartness" requirements. By "smartness" I mean like "here is 3 patterns, which one comes next"
Is it like the umat but only for aviation?

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
Is it like the umat but only for aviation?
not UMAT in terms of difficulty but it is easy stuff like

what is the missing number

3, 7, ?, 11, 15

etc

It's a similar test to the ones done from the ADF

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Anyway, imo if you really wanna become a pilot the first step for you u do is to check ur eyes if they are eligible. Then consider where you really wanna learn from. Which I recommend is to do it from an institution, http://www.sfcaero.com.au/ . OR apply for an cadet-ship in Virgin or Qantas but gg because you aren't the only one wanting the cadet-ship.

I really wanted tp become a pilot..but due some circumstances I cant...but maybe in future I can get my PPL, just for fun like a hobby... :D.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
You mean CASA, Civil Aviation Safety Authority? Yes they are very apprehensive about medically fit applicants. Anyway for the the OP, Aviation is a career that is rewarding but to start out you need the $$$ lots of them. Nonetheless it's your hours that they are looking for, you need a couple thousand of them too to be elegible for a Second officer in a commercial airliner company. I actually want to become a pilot as well if med doesn't work out but I'm not letting my hopes down I've still got a looong way to go [emoji3]
[emoji574]
Oppps..my fault.

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
You also wanted to become a pilot once??
No actually I was going to join the air force after school but things changed so i went to university. Might follow that path as an engineer some day, maybe

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
No actually I was going to join the air force after school but things changed so i went to university. Might follow that path as an engineer some day, maybe
Yes of course you can become an engineer in the ADF. There is a lot of engineering potential and everyone nowadays is studying and becoming an engineer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)