Avoiding careless mistakes (1 Viewer)

TheAL7

HSC
Hey guys,

I've done alright in maths in the past and I understand the concepts after some practice, however I keep making stupid mistakes in the actual exam that cost me so many marks!! Like I could possibly get a top band score if I eliminated all my careless mistakes.
Do any of you know any ways that you successfully prevent dumb errors that you just cringe at after you get the paper back?

teridax

HSC
N/A
It might have to do with your foundation tbh. Because if you continue making silly errors in your working, that could be a sign that your groundwork in maths isn't strong.

TheAL7

HSC
Ok then. How would u suggest improving my groundwork- revising, doing more Qs?

Silly Sausage

HSC
Unavoidable tbh. If you take uni math the lecturers even make the silliest of mistakes without noticing from time to time.
However, through practice you can minimise them.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Master your basic algebra and then advance towards your harder algebra.

Drsoccerball

HSC
Check your answers after solving the question. In my latest ex 1 test I saved 8% by checking it after i did it.

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC
I think the most important thing is having time at the end to check the easy questions (Esp ones that involve manipulating signs). Proving questions are nice cause you can't really have a wrong working for them, you either get the marks or you don't.

Doing a lot of question also helps to develop a 6th sense for the correct answer but it's not as reliable as just checking at the end.

TheAL7

HSC
Wow thanks guys! Didn't expect so much help!! (this is my first time using BoS)
You guys are great :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)