Avoiding the regrets and disapointment of not being able to pick up 3U/4U Maths (1 Viewer)

unforlornedhope

HSC
N/A
Doing 3U (MX1) and 4U (MX2) Maths outside of school. PLEASE READ THIS!

Both 3U and 4U maths are difficult subjects, but it is also rewarding at the same time (ie. the ridiculously high scaling, and in fact, 4U maths it's the highest scaling HSC subject).

I've come across quite a few people I've known and even posts and threads in this forum of people who want to do 3u or 4u maths, but unfortunately face the following problems:
1. school doesn't offer it( due to them going to a really low rank school, where more than half the cohort does general maths or even don't do maths/ not enough people doing 4u)
2. school doesn't let them do it (teachers discouraging students from doing it/ thinking that they aren't "capable" of doing etc etc)
3. realised belatedly that they should've done 4u (belatedly, in the sense that half of term 4 in year 12 has passed and the school term 4 assessment is almost approaching/ has finished)
4. And there is also another issue,( which is the exact opposite of not enough people in low ranking schools wanting to do 4u) :
Many people from highly competitive selective schools wanting to do 4u maths, but the school only offers it to a certain number of people. Eg. They only offer it to 150 people in the grade but 190 people want to do it. Then it comes to the question of, where can these 40 people do 4u maths if the school doesn't let them do it?

etc. etc. there are many other factors, but I'm pointing out the common ones.

So, to those who are keen to take up 3u or 4u maths despite these unfavourable circumstances.
What can you do?

1. Do it through correspondence (Sydney Distance Education High School)
http://www.sydneyh-d.schools.nsw.edu.au/

Do note that you need your principal's approval to enrol and you NEED TO ENROL in September, or latest (November)?. But it's best to enrol around September.
eg. if you're in year 12 in 2015, then it's best to send in the application form around September 2014( the year you're in year 11).
[Please note that their assessment schedule is also the same like school: their first assessment task is in term 4 as well, so it's best to enrol early, esp. if you are 100% sure that your school doesn't offer 4u maths/ teachers definitely won't let you do 4u in school].

If you send in the application form late to SDEHS (at the start of Term 1 Year 12), then it's highly unlikely that they'll take you. So do send in your application form as early as possible to avoid disapointment.

2. Doing it through TAFE
TAFE's do offer 3u and 4u maths. They usually start their classes at the start of February. So even if you miss term 4 of year 12, you won't be disadvantaged.
You can ring the TAFE's but, it's best to come to the TAFE's in person to enquire if they do offer it or not.
They usually have their info session around November, and their enrollment days in January.
The TAFE's that I know of which offers 3u and 4u maths are:

1. Granville TAFE

Contact Granville TAFE HSC Coordinator: 02 9682 0250 or 02 9682 0346[/B]

Granville also needs at least 20 people to run the class.

The contact numbers are: Alan Allison on 9682 0250, Ken : 02 9682 0346 and email: Ken.Gardiner@tafensw.edu.au

2. Randwick TAFE Website: http://hscstudies.sydneyinstitute.wikispaces.net/

3. North Sydney TAFE ( but do keep in mind that they need at least, 10-15 people expresssing their interest to do 4u maths, then they'll offer it. I've known school kids who enrolled but got turned down because they weren't enough people to run the class there. So do get all of your eager mates who want to do 4u to enroll together. The more the merrier. Lol
www.nsi.tafensw.edu.au or call 131 674

LATEST UPDATE. [Updated on 23 Jan 2016]

Granville TAFE is running 3 unit Maths on Monday night 4.30-7.30pm and also 4u maths.
PS: The (Bankstown) in the Granville tafe timetable, is in reference to Bankstown TAFE: http://hsc-in-one-year.swsi.wikispaces.net/
Bankstown TAFE only runs 2 unit Maths night class on Wednesday night from 4-8pm. (so if you want to accelerate in 2u outside of school, you can do it at Bankstown TAFE).

Randwick TAFE runs 3u and 4u on Wednesday night 5.30-8.30pm.

North Sydney TAFE runs 3u and 2u night classes only, they don't have enough people for 4u.

Liverpool TAFE might be running 3u or 4u?? But it's best to contact them.

3. Doing it through an outside tutor
This might be an option as well. You can enquire with BOS.

I hope this helps.
Remember, you'll never regret doing 3u/4u maths, esp. when you reap the rewards of a high and sexy ATAR at the end of the year.
Good luck to all!

-> If you have any questions, please pm me or post on this thread.

[updated and edited]

Last edited:

braintic

HSC
N/A
Actually this IS an issue for selective high school students, probably more so.

Most selective high school principals have come to a "gentleman's agreement" to limit the number of Extension 2 maths classes in selective schools. A typical selective high school offers three classes of Extension 2, when almost 4 classes of students wish to study the course. The number who miss out as a result is more than the number who are interested in the course in a normal high school. These students are typically more able than students elsewhere, so it is often a disadvantage to be a student interested in Ext 2 at a selective high school.

unforlornedhope

HSC
N/A

Most selective high school principals have come to a "gentleman's agreement" to limit the number of Extension 2 maths classes in selective schools. A typical selective high school offers three classes of Extension 2, when almost 4 classes of students wish to study the course. The number who miss out as a result is more than the number who are interested in the course in a normal high school. These students are typically more able than students elsewhere, so it is often a disadvantage to be a student interested in Ext 2 at a selective high school.
Ok, my bad. :( I didn't take that situation into account. I'll edit the post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
+1
Happened to a friend of mine from Baulkham Hills. He wasnt happy.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC

I'm curious why this agreement exists?

braintic

HSC
N/A
I'm curious why this agreement exists?
Not sure. But there aren't too many principals who are maths teachers (we can't handle the BS involved, and humanities teachers just LOVE BS), and most English/History etc teachers don't like maths. They see the focus on maths in selective schools as unhealthy.

Of course they will never admit that this takes place, but I have it on the authority of a retired selective HS principal who I know.

One quote I've heard: "We don't want our school to become a 'maths school' "

mreditor16

HSC
Not sure. But there aren't too many principals who are maths teachers (we can't handle the BS involved, and humanities teachers just LOVE BS), and most English/History etc teachers don't like maths. They see the focus on maths in selective schools as unhealthy.

Of course they will never admit that this takes place, but I have it on the authority of a retired selective HS principal who I know.

One quote I've heard: "We don't want our school to become a 'maths school' "
100% right.

btw braintic, could you check your PMs when you get time? ty. :)

matchalolz

HSC

this. I've heard that at my school there are around 50~ doing ext 2, so I'm keeping my maths extension 1 rank above 50 just to make sure I won't be turned down if I ever want to try 4u

unforlornedhope

HSC
N/A
Both 3U and 4U maths are difficult subjects, but it is also rewarding at the same time (ie. the ridiculously high scaling, and in fact, 4U maths it's the highest scaling HSC subject).

I've come across quite a few people I've known and even posts and threads in this forum of people who want to do 3u or 4u maths, but unfortunately face the following problems:
1. school doesn't offer it( due to them going to a really low rank school, where more than half the cohort does general maths or even don't do maths/ not enough people doing 4u)
2. school doesn't let them do it (teachers discouraging students from doing it/ thinking that they aren't "capable" of doing etc etc)
3. realised belatedly that they should've done 4u (belatedly, in the sense that half of term 4 in year 12 has passed and the school term 4 assessment is almost approaching/ has finished)
4. And there is also another issue,( which is the exact opposite of not enough people in low ranking schools wanting to do 4u) :
Many people from highly competitive selective schools wanting to do 4u maths, but the school only offers it to a certain number of people. Eg. They only offer it to 150 people in the grade but 190 people want to do it. Then it comes to the question of, where can these 40 people do 4u maths if the school doesn't let them do it?

etc. etc. there are many other factors, but I'm pointing out the common ones.

So, to those who are keen to take up 3u or 4u maths despite these unfavourable circumstances.
What can you do?

1. Do it through correspondence (Sydney Distance Education High School)
http://www.sydneyh-d.schools.nsw.edu.au/

Do note that you need your principal's approval to enrol and you NEED TO ENROL in September, or latest (November)?. But it's best to enrol around September.
eg. if you're in year 12 in 2015, then it's best to send in the application form around September 2014( the year you're in year 11).
[Please note that their assessment schedule is also the same like school: their first assessment task is in term 4 as well, so it's best to enrol early, esp. if you are 100% sure that your school doesn't offer 4u maths/ teachers definitely won't let you do 4u in school].

If you send in the application form late to SDEHS (at the start of Term 1 Year 12), then it's highly unlikely that they'll take you. So do send in your application form as early as possible to avoid disapointment.

2. Doing it through TAFE
TAFE's do offer 3u and 4u maths. They usually start their classes at the start of February. So even if you miss term 4 of year 12, you won't be disadvantaged.
You can ring the TAFE's but, it's best to come to the TAFE's in person to enquire if they do offer it or not.
They usually have their info session around November, and their enrollment days in January.
The TAFE's that I know of which offers 3u and 4u maths are:

1. Granville TAFE

http://granvilletafevocationalaccess.swsi.wikispaces.net/
Contact Granville TAFE HSC Coordinator: 02 9682 0250 or 02 9682 0346[/B]

Granville also needs at least 20 people to run the class.

REMEMBER to let those who are interested in 3u and 4u know about:
Granville Tafe enrolment is at 2:30pm, room C303, on WEDNESDAY 28th January 2015 for enrolment. Classes start 2nd February, 2015.

The contact numbers are: Alan Allison on 9682 0250, Ken : 02 9682 0346 and email: Ken.Gardiner@tafensw.edu.au

2. Randwick TAFE http://hscstudies.sydneyinstitute.wikispaces.net/

3. North Sydney TAFE ( but do keep in mind that they need at least, 10-15 people expresssing their interest to do 4u maths, then they'll offer it. I've known school kids who enrolled but got turned down because they weren't enough people to run the class there. So do get all of your eager mates who want to do 4u to enroll together. The more the merrier. Lol
www.nsi.tafensw.edu.au or call 131 674

3. Doing it through an outside tutor
This might be an option as well. You can enquire with BOS.

I hope this helps.
Remember, you'll never regret doing 3u/4u maths, esp. when you reap the rewards of a high and sexy ATAR at the end of the year.
Good luck to all!

[updated and edited]

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)