Avoiding the regrets and disapointment of not being able to pick up 3U/4U Maths (1 Viewer)

unforlornedhope

HSC
N/A
Bump! For those 2015 hsc students or 2016 hsc students who want to accelerate in 3u or 4u maths! Please have a look at this thread!

unforlornedhope

HSC
N/A
Bump! For those 2015 hsc students or 2016 hsc students who want to accelerate in 3u or 4u maths! Please have a look at this thread!

unforlornedhope

HSC
N/A
Both 3U and 4U maths are difficult subjects, but it is also rewarding at the same time (ie. the ridiculously high scaling, and in fact, 4U maths it's the highest scaling HSC subject).

I've come across quite a few people I've known and even posts and threads in this forum of people who want to do 3u or 4u maths, but unfortunately face the following problems:
1. school doesn't offer it( due to them going to a really low rank school, where more than half the cohort does general maths or even don't do maths/ not enough people doing 4u)
2. school doesn't let them do it (teachers discouraging students from doing it/ thinking that they aren't "capable" of doing etc etc)
3. realised belatedly that they should've done 4u (belatedly, in the sense that half of term 4 in year 12 has passed and the school term 4 assessment is almost approaching/ has finished)
4. And there is also another issue,( which is the exact opposite of not enough people in low ranking schools wanting to do 4u) :
Many people from highly competitive selective schools wanting to do 4u maths, but the school only offers it to a certain number of people. Eg. They only offer it to 150 people in the grade but 190 people want to do it. Then it comes to the question of, where can these 40 people do 4u maths if the school doesn't let them do it?

etc. etc. there are many other factors, but I'm pointing out the common ones.

So, to those who are keen to take up 3u or 4u maths despite these unfavourable circumstances.
What can you do?

1. Do it through correspondence (Sydney Distance Education High School)
http://www.sydneyh-d.schools.nsw.edu.au/

Do note that you need your principal's approval to enrol and you NEED TO ENROL in September, or latest (November)?. But it's best to enrol around September.
eg. if you're in year 12 in 2015, then it's best to send in the application form around September 2014( the year you're in year 11).
[Please note that their assessment schedule is also the same like school: their first assessment task is in term 4 as well, so it's best to enrol early, esp. if you are 100% sure that your school doesn't offer 4u maths/ teachers definitely won't let you do 4u in school].

If you send in the application form late to SDEHS (at the start of Term 1 Year 12), then it's highly unlikely that they'll take you. So do send in your application form as early as possible to avoid disapointment.

2. Doing it through TAFE
TAFE's do offer 3u and 4u maths. They usually start their classes at the start of February. So even if you miss term 4 of year 12, you won't be disadvantaged.
You can ring the TAFE's but, it's best to come to the TAFE's in person to enquire if they do offer it or not.
They usually have their info session around November, and their enrollment days in January.
The TAFE's that I know of which offers 3u and 4u maths are:

1. Granville TAFE

http://granvilletafevocationalaccess.swsi.wikispaces.net/
Contact Granville TAFE HSC Coordinator: 02 9682 0250 or 02 9682 0346[/B]

Granville also needs at least 20 people to run the class.

REMEMBER to let those who are interested in 3u and 4u know about:
Granville Tafe enrolment is at 2:30pm, room C303, on WEDNESDAY 28th January 2015 for enrolment. Classes start 2nd February, 2015.

The contact numbers are: Alan Allison on 9682 0250, Ken : 02 9682 0346 and email: Ken.Gardiner@tafensw.edu.au

2. Randwick TAFE http://hscstudies.sydneyinstitute.wikispaces.net/

3. North Sydney TAFE ( but do keep in mind that they need at least, 10-15 people expresssing their interest to do 4u maths, then they'll offer it. I've known school kids who enrolled but got turned down because they weren't enough people to run the class there. So do get all of your eager mates who want to do 4u to enroll together. The more the merrier. Lol
www.nsi.tafensw.edu.au or call 131 674

3. Doing it through an outside tutor
This might be an option as well. You can enquire with BOS.

I hope this helps.
Remember, you'll never regret doing 3u/4u maths, esp. when you reap the rewards of a high and sexy ATAR at the end of the year.
Good luck to all!

[updated and edited]

Last edited:

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
my school had 4 classes of 4U in 2014
(normally they have 3)
but they had to get the deputy to run the 4u part for one of the classes.
I was ranked about 70 something and got a really bad mark (62 then 68) for all my reports
but ended up with 87. (I did well in the hsc exam, my exam was 92)

funnytomato

HSC
I think the impact on the school's assessment marks is also taken into consideration.

At my school ,one year they had way too many 4u English students and they did not perform very well in the HSC.

And then for the year after that, the English head teacher decided to have a class size limit.

Last edited:

braintic

HSC
N/A
I think the impact on the school's assessment marks is also taken into consideration.

At my school ,one year they had way too many 4u English students and they did not perform very well in the HSC.

And then for the year after that, the English head teacher decided to have a class size limit.
The way moderation works, adding (supposedly weaker) candidates should not have any effect on the marks of individuals who would have been doing the course anyway. It only affects the school's average mark in the subject, and that would be the sole selfish reason for the school limiting the number of candidates.

unforlornedhope

HSC
N/A
That's why I made this post for people who can't do 3u or 4 u in school due to this issue, or timetable clash

unforlornedhope

HSC
N/A
For those who want to pick up extension 1 Maths(3u maths) in year 12 (even though they didn't do it in year 11) or accelerate in extension 1 Maths outside of school, you can come to Granville TAFE and do it!
There's another enrollment session on 28 Jan 2015, 10AM or 5PM!

Last edited:

unforlornedhope

HSC
N/A
Wanting to do 4u maths but your school doesn't offer it ?
Wanting to do 4u maths but it's too late to pick it up in your school, or do it through open high?
Do it through Granville TAFE! Enrolment is on 28 January 2015!

Or if you live in the EAstern Suburbs or North Sydney, Randwick/North Sydney TAFE also offers 3u and 4u maths.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Just wanna ask a question, if you're not that good at 3U maths and you end up getting a mark let's say about 60%, will that affect your ATAR in a bad way or a good way?

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
nope
if it is 60% raw (my unscaled Mark prior to hsc exam was 72 if I remember correctly)
I ended up getting a band 6. it had got aligned somehow to to 87.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
I think 60% as in the raw mark (I think the raw mark is your overall mark you get just before the HSC exams, well that's what I think raw mark is). I'm only assuming 60% because I reckon I might be able to get that.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
nope
if it is 60% raw (my unscaled Mark prior to hsc exam was 72 if I remember correctly)
I ended up getting a band 6. it had got aligned somehow to to 87.
So if it's a 60% what mark does it align to? Also, when you got 72 and it aligned to 87, what were the factors affecting this?

unforlornedhope

HSC
N/A
2. Doing it through TAFE
TAFE's do offer 3u and 4u maths. They usually start their classes at the start of February. So even if you miss term 4 of year 12, you won't be disadvantaged.
You can ring the TAFE's but, it's best to come to the TAFE's in person to enquire if they do offer it or not.
They usually have their info session around November, and their enrollment days in January.
The TAFE's that I know of which offers 3u and 4u maths are:

1. Granville TAFE

http://granvilletafevocationalaccess...ikispaces.net/
Contact Granville TAFE HSC Coordinator: 02 9682 0250 or 02 9682 0346[/B]

Granville also needs at least 20 people to run the class.

Granville Tafe enrolment is at 2:30pm, room C303, on WEDNESDAY 28th January 2015 for enrolment. Classes start 2nd February, 2015.

The contact numbers are: Alan Allison on 9682 0250, Ken : 02 9682 0346 and email: Ken.Gardiner@tafensw.edu.au

unforlornedhope

HSC
N/A
Granville Tafe enrolment is at 10am and 5pm, room C303, on WEDNESDAY 28th January 2015 for enrolment. Classes start 2nd February, 2015.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)