Awkward moment when extension history is in 2 days and you feel like you know nothing (1 Viewer)

Stelleee

HSC
Omfg, please let's have a study session online about this.

Stelleee

HSC
Re: Awkward moment when extension history is in 2 days and you feel like you know not

Specifically, what are the history wars exactly? Why does it feel like there are huge gaps in my knowledge of this course? WHAT IS GOING ON WITH MY MEMORY WHY WHY WHY

Vicky_x

HSC
N/A
Re: Awkward moment when extension history is in 2 days and you feel like you know not

I'm honestly in the same boat...
I've ignored ext hist all year because I've assumed it wont count, but maybe it will
I think I'm okay with the case study (JFK) but just going to go over historians etc for section one, we didnt even learn postmodernism/gender wars etc at school :S

D94

HSC
N/A

Specifically, what are the history wars exactly?
It's the debate on what is Australia's colonial/indigenous history. The Black Armband vs. the White Blindfold. What actually happened in our past? What evidence is there to support the genocidal claims or the massacres that may or may not have occurred back then? Did the amount of violence reach the point of massacre or were there just merely small incidences between the colonials and tribes?

But that's just the 'history' of it. We also want to look at the 'historiography' of it. What evidence is there to support certain claims? Is colonial evidence sufficient to determine what happened? This evidence would be mainly consisting of written evidence, but what makes written evidence more authoritative than oral evidence, passed down by Indigenous elders? Are both mutually exclusive or is there a common ground in their "stories"?

As you can see, I've basically strung a lot of questions together, but that's because I don't exactly know what happened, hence why it's a debate - a historiographical debate. You have to come to your own conclusion about which side presents the more "truthful" and reliable "story", and it's your interpretation which becomes your historiographical viewpoint.

Stelleee

HSC

I'm honestly in the same boat...
I've ignored ext hist all year because I've assumed it wont count, but maybe it will
I think I'm okay with the case study (JFK) but just going to go over historians etc for section one, we didnt even learn postmodernism/gender wars etc at school :S
We did not do postmodernism/gender wars either AND WHAT THE ABSOLUTE FUCK ARE THE HISTORY WARS? I didn't pay attention all year. And it's in my 10 units. What the fuck was I thinking.

Stelleee

HSC

Oh. Thanks D94 for clearing that up :) sigh of relief...I don't think that relates to my course haha? Is that a case study?

My "What is History" is pretty bad, in the way that I'm not sure how I'm supposed to exactly start the essay. Obviously I'll get a source, and then I'll have to deconstruct that, but at the same time I should be referencing different historians...how am I supposed to know Classical/then medieval/then Enlightenment/Romantic/Revisionist/PostRevisionist/History from below...all at once...and apply it to this essay?! That's cray. I want to slit my wrists right about now.

sinawi

HSC

Don't panic :) You'll be fine! When you see the source, it'll come to you. You won't include absolutely everything you've studied for! Only what's relevant to answering the question.

Case studies are usually easier, so I'd probably do them first. Then that way you can sit back and plan out the last 25 marks without worrying about any distractions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)