Awkward (1 Viewer)

bassbeats.

HSC
Hi guys
I started at Bond this week, and so far feel like I'm not "fitting in" as such..
I mean, I have to be truthful that I haven't been the most outgoing either, but everyone else seems to be in little click groups already and I'm just all on my lonesome.

When classes start, and everyone isn't so desperate to be likeable and hang out in packs, will I start to make some friends? I'm not the type to be overly loud and party all night every night like the ppl who seem to have friends so far.

I sound like a whinger or loser lol but trust me I'm not, I just feel..lonely =[

Kabbasi

HSC
a) "Clique"

b) How are you starting Uni this early?

c) I've heard that it's hard to 'fit in' at Uni when you don't know people too considering it's gigantic size. If it's particularly concerning you I suggest you hunt out the loners and cling to them. It also sounds like you're expecting people to approach you. I don't think there's a rule against you approaching someone and talking to them even if you're not 'outgoing'.

d) "When classes start, and everyone isn't so desperate to be likeable and hang out in packs, will I start to make some friends?"

That was the sound of you contradicting yourself and the point of this entire thread.

hannahxxx

HSC
this is going to sound really ignorant, but "Bond"?
You didn't say whether you were living away from home. If you are, then I get you, seeing as i had the same problem when i first started living away from home.
Advice: 1) Try to get into groups/clubs at oweek at your uni-they organise events where you can meet new people.
2) Talk to ppl in lectures and tutes- don't wait for people to approach you. They may be waiting for you to approach them.I've never ever heard someone say "stop talking to me" or "I don't want to make friends" when you do try to crack up a convo
3) If you're on campus then they tend to organise things for residents as well
4) If you like sports, get involved in a social sporting team
I would say lastly, it takes time to make new friends, so you have to be patient and try to put yourself out there

K

katie_tully

I don't go to lectures to find out what you did/are doing on the weekend, how many cats you have, what your favourite colour is. It annoys the hell out of me. Tell me before or after not during. That applies to anybody else who wants to sit infront of me and have a grand old shit conversation with their study budy.

stfu.

Season

HSC
Moving to a new place removed from everything is always the hard, especially the first few weeks. I seriously doubt you are alone. Over this next year you will probably become more outgoing in order to float some more.

Now start making conversation for the heck of it, doesn't matter what you talk about just make it something. Smile at others, don't be shy, if they reject you (highly fantastically unlikely) you've got another few thousand randoms to go through. Also don't worry about making yourself look silly, I went flying around aus by myself earlier this year and you wouldn't believe how many friendly people I made by acting stupid, asking for directions making silly conversations about my travel woes.

Keep your spirits up, do something that you love, go and buy something nice for yourself, or go clubbing whatever. Also fake it until you make it, one of my closest friends is very shy, but you meet her and she makes an effort to be bubbly- and she has lots of friends because of it.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
bassbeats. said:
Hi guys
I started at Bond this week, and so far feel like I'm not "fitting in" as such..
I mean, I have to be truthful that I haven't been the most outgoing either, but everyone else seems to be in little click groups already and I'm just all on my lonesome.

When classes start, and everyone isn't so desperate to be likeable and hang out in packs, will I start to make some friends? I'm not the type to be overly loud and party all night every night like the ppl who seem to have friends so far.

I sound like a whinger or loser lol but trust me I'm not, I just feel..lonely =[
Dont worry, you're still new. Just be patient, and soon enough you'll meet heaps of people :)

N1C0L3

HSC
Season said:
Moving to a new place removed from everything is always the hard, especially the first few weeks. I seriously doubt you are alone. Over this next year you will probably become more outgoing in order to float some more.

Now start making conversation for the heck of it, doesn't matter what you talk about just make it something. Smile at others, don't be shy, if they reject you (highly fantastically unlikely) you've got another few thousand randoms to go through. Also don't worry about making yourself look silly, I went flying around aus by myself earlier this year and you wouldn't believe how many friendly people I made by acting stupid, asking for directions making silly conversations about my travel woes.

Keep your spirits up, do something that you love, go and buy something nice for yourself, or go clubbing whatever. Also fake it until you make it, one of my closest friends is very shy, but you meet her and she makes an effort to be bubbly- and she has lots of friends because of it.
This is the only smart, decent and helpful reply in this whole thread! Well said.
And my oppinion, just give it time. Dont worry if u havnt made friends yet. Things always work themselves out no matter how bad they can seem to get. Life isnt that cruel haha, plus when u do groupwork and stuff, u will make friends then. I am exactly like u, not heaps loud like most others, pretty shy and i cant make friends heaaaps easy or anything, but just gotta take things as they come, try step outside ur comfort zone for a bit and break the ice.
U will be fine :)
Goodluck!

bassbeats.

HSC
Thank you guys for the nice and useful replies, and STFU the rest of you, ha.

I do find it hard to put myself out of my comfort zone, I prefer to make long-term friends rather than ones just to hang around with so I don't look alone.

But tonight was a party and I have been invited to lunch so that is a nice start :)

Evilo

HSC
Season said:

+1

Blitzer

HSC
N/A
All I have to say if that picture is of you, I will be your friend anytime.

Blitzer

HSC
N/A
Lol, bad joke? Oh well.. still hot pic whoever it is.

Enjoy your day, go sit on the grass and read a book.

Peace out

p.s Remember always wear sunscreen.

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
Blitzer said:
Lol, bad joke? Oh well.. still hot pic whoever it is.

Enjoy your day, go sit on the grass and read a book.

Peace out

p.s Remember always wear sunscreen.
You're either gay ... or gay! But its ok. I love u.

Blitzer

HSC
N/A
Lol is that picture of a guy? Well now you have me questioning my sexuality Mark.. thankyou for the enlightenment.

But just so you know if you really do love me, you will have to be the receiver.. I only step up to bat.

GinoIs

HSC
Bond University...
Isn't that where all the kids that comes from rich parents go to?

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
katie tully said:
I don't go to lectures to find out what you did/are doing on the weekend, how many cats you have, what your favourite colour is. It annoys the hell out of me. Tell me before or after not during. That applies to anybody else who wants to sit infront of me and have a grand old shit conversation with their study budy.
You're a shit person, and I hope you die. :eek:

Hint: talk to people in tutorials. say hi on the first day. the end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)