B Adv Sc (Chemistry)/B Eng (Chemical) - to do, or not to do?!? (1 Viewer)

r.uss

HSC
So my question is, what (if any) benefits would one reap by combining an advanced science degree with engineering... in the same field, i.e. chemistry?

I'm interested as to why every chem student isn't doing it, considering that the engineers supposedly get all the money. Does it place any restrictions on the amount of pure science study you can do?

The way I understand it (from the oh-so-helpful usyd site) is that in the engineering course I'll simply be learning to apply the fundamentals of chem to an industrial situation.

Surely there must be a catch...

P.S. I did no physics. Only maths and chem.

ssglain

HSC
B Sc (Adv) majoring in chemistry and B Eng (Chemical) are very different degrees. There is very little overlap between the two - it's roughly 50% in first year, 25% in second year and none from there on.

B Eng (Chemical) strongly focuses on the applications of chemistry in industrial processes, with most of the core subjects teaching the design, operation and management of industrial systems for the production, purification and recovery of chemicals. There are also compulsory industry experience components and either an honours thesis or a major research project in the final year. In constrast, a chemistry major through B Sc (Adv) has a more theoretical/research focus and allows you to choose from a broad range of subjects on organic, inorganic, physical, biological or medicinal chemistry. There is an optional Year in Industry program offered, but it only for those interested in gaining experience in the chemical industry.

Another difference is that you can do two majors in B Sc (Adv) - some people do go for double chemistry majors but most prefer to choose the second major from another area of science or even another faculty. B Eng (Chemical) doesn't give you this sort of flexibility or the ability to explore a broader range of interests.

Also, the two degrees differ in professional recognition. B Eng (Chemical) is recognised by professional bodies for engineers, like the Engineering Institute of Australia. This is something that a chemistry major in B Sc (Adv) doesn't give you.

So the advantages in combining B Sc (Adv)/B Eng (Chemical) and doing a chemistry major in the science degree basically comes down to being able to gain more theoretical and more scientific knowledge of a wider range of chemistry in addition to practical knowledge about considerations in industrial chemical processes. It also gives you more flexibility to study other subject areas. But it isn't necessary.

I hope that clears it up a little?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)