B.Arts/B.Education? (1 Viewer)

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
This might sound like a bit of a stupid question or I might be asking something obvious which I'm sure I'll learn about later on, but I'm having trouble with what I should make my preferences. I'm still not completely sure of how the system works. Also sorry in advance if this isn't the right place to ask this.

My original plan was to do a Bachelor of Arts majoring in Japanese Studies, once I had completed this I planned to do a Diploma of Education so I can teach in secondary schools. The reason for Japanese Studies? Simply just pursuing one of my interests so I figured why not make a career out of it. I don't really care about taking a "get rich quick" course as long as I'm doing something I enjoy.

With the prospect of teaching in mind, I also came across B.Arts/B.Education in the UAC guide, which now seems like the perfect course to take. I am a little confused though, it says "Major Studies: Education" and you need to pick two areas of teaching (one of which is Japanese - perfect), I also wouldn't need to do a Dip.Ed this way.
But my question is, if I select Japanese as one of my teaching areas am I still "majoring" in Japanese, as in I'd be able to do the same classes in the same way I would if I just did a B.Arts alone?

Also if I did decide to just do a B.Arts and Dip.Ed, where can I find information on how to do the Diploma of Education? I have no idea how it works right now, do I even do it at the same institution? I'm assuming it's post-grad anyway.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
uhawww said:
Also if I did decide to just do a B.Arts and Dip.Ed, where can I find information on how to do the Diploma of Education? I have no idea how it works right now, do I even do it at the same institution? I'm assuming it's post-grad anyway.
I can't tell you how the BA at UNSW works, but if you want to find info on DipEd and similar programs then go to the site of whatever uni you're interested in doing it at (it doesn't have to be the same as where you got your original degree), and look under the faculty/school of education. The courses you'd be looking at doing in that case are:
DipEd @ UNSW, MQ or UOW
BTeach @ UTS
MTeach @ ACU, USYD or UWS

They're pretty much the same thing - and when you're in your final year of the BA you can apply through UAC to do one of these (so it is technically post-grad).

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
Thank you very much for the replies all of you, I think I will definitely do the double degree now. Now I just need to think about what second subject I will teach, hmmm.

Affinity

HSC
Iruka said:
3) (Most important point!) I worked out that I could do more maths this way...
Freak. :D

Anyway, Straight BA might be a little more flexible if you want some time to discover your interests.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)