B arts/psychology means UNEMPLOYMENT, true or false? (1 Viewer)

TheMelissa

God Complex
HSC
Yes, B Arts/Psych guarentees unemployment. That is why the course still exists and universities still offer it-- to make applicants look stupid. When you graduate, the dean comes up to you and yells "THE JOKE'S ON YOU!" whilst laughing manically.

Ok, in all honesty, there are a number of careers available to those with a B Psych. Naturally, those with a masters or doctorate will find their options a lot more varied (clinician, counselor, etc) but if you decide you're not willing to pursue a PhD in the subject, you'll probably be looking at human or social services.

Give some serious thought to your major. Consult your academic advisor. As for the B Arts, major in something you feel will supplement your Psych if career options are your highest priority.

zaqwerty

HSC
_dhj_ said:
Just marry a banker/doctor/lawyer and be a housewife/part time academic.
I read that as: "Just marry a banker/doctor/lawyer and be a housewife/part time mechanic"

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Along with clinical psychology it may be worth looking into neuropsychology (which is way cool, in my opinion). I believe they offer masters level programs at MQ and USyd. What do they do?:

'Neuropsychologists assess the cognitive and behavioural consequences of brain damage acquired as a result of various neurological conditions including stroke, vehicle accidents, epilepsy, substance abuse and dementia. They typically work as part of a multidisciplinary team in brain injury units in hospitals, and may also work in rehabilitation settings where they help teach patients strategies to compensate for the damage they have sustained.' (from MQ page)

However, Neuropsych is very competitive because the number of places is strongly limited by the number of teaching practitioners.

just-a-stranger

a humble child of God
HSC
TheMelissa said:
Yes, B Arts/Psych guarentees unemployment. That is why the course still exists and universities still offer it-- to make applicants look stupid. When you graduate, the dean comes up to you and yells "THE JOKE'S ON YOU!" whilst laughing manically...
LMAO.:lol:

as for the thread starter.. imo:
B Arts - may offer limited employment if you're seeking a job that is DIRECTLY linked to your major. (problem i face with a planned major on sociology - my best option is social work i guess)

as for B Psych - unless you continue after completing an undergrad, i don't think you can practise as a psychology of some sort.. which means longer years in uni.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
U shuld do an engineering degree dat pays really gud hope this help peace out!!! lol

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
UnIqUe_PrInCeSs said:
lol, once every two weeks? that's fucking awesome because that way I can get some work experience and still have plenty of time to study. I hope it's not that hard to join lifeline/the kids help line......or even work for the army etc :eek:
to join lifeline you need to do their training course and pass all of their requirements. even just doing the training course and having that on your resume is a good thing even if you dont end up doing the phone counselling, since it doesn't work out for everyone.

but kids help line doesn't take on volunteers, you've actually got to have the tertiary qualifications (be a psychologist/counsellor) plus at least 3 years of experience. so it's not one to be looking at just yet :p

i don't know what the difference is with Arts, but I know that there's lots of opportunities in Psychology and that they're only growing. i know just from our pre-professional psychology lectures from psychologists that it's what i want to do :)

Last edited:

kevinant

HSC
If you get into Master then the pay will be much higher and much easier to find a job.

blerkles

HSC
N/A
just-a-stranger said:
(problem i face with a planned major on sociology - my best option is social work i guess)
Have you looked much into Social Work? To call yourself an actual social worker, there are strict requirements... a 3 year degree with a major in sociology usually doesn't cut it.

From Aust Assoc of Social Workers http://www.aasw.asn.au/becomeamember/becomingasw/eligible.htm ...

A four-year Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) degree is required for entry into the occupation of social worker. The four years of study may be structured in different ways, depending upon the individual university. For example, some may be four-year courses but some may be two years following completion of a relevant degree (or two years thereof) with specified prerequisite subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)