B Business B computing, Whats it like? (1 Viewer)

dan_viper88

HSC
Hi, im currently thinking of transfering to a B Business B Computing. If anyone knows anything about this course or is actually doing it, could you please post your opinions on it. So that i can get an idea of what people think about this course, to help me in my decision.

Also, do you have to be a computer wiz to do it, or are the basic pc skills alright?

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Dan

kalli

HSC
If youre interested in IT, employers LOVE it when you have a business background as well. These two subjects complement each other in IT these days.

kalli

HSC
xxPanDa said:
anyone doing this course yet?
what jobs do u get?
The content of the course depends on which uni you go to...

Business/IT degrees are perfect for any IT role where you have to communicate with business like people (or customers) and also IT type people. E.g:
- Project Manager
- Business Analyst
- Tester
- Any type of IT Team Leader role
- Helpdesk
- Fixing computers at a computer store
- Sales

Im doing a Business Information Systems degree and Im currently working full-time as a software tester. My degree is perfect for me as i have to speak IT speak to the developers but business/laymen speak to the business.

Business/IT degrees are often less technical than computer science degrees. If you are interested in more development (programming) type roles, i suggest a computer science course - although some companies appreciate a developer who understands what the users want and who can also code. Maybe do CS but choose some business electives too?

biomic

(pronounced yay-zu)
HSC
<--- 2nd Semester BBus/BComp, its not too bad .. im doing it at UTS and the subjects are thus far relatively straight-foward. The way ours is structured is we get to Major in a Business subject and Sub-Major in an IT one, but theres plenty of room in the course to pursue a more technical route if thats what you're after.

We're currently doing Programming Fundamentals (Core topic), its an example of a subject thats a little more technical but as long as you have an interest in it and pick up the texts if you havent done something like that before, it's fine.

Feel free to PM me if you want more details on the course, im only in first year but found myself in a similar situation before enrolling and decided the way this course is structured provides 2 superb degree's and gives students plenty of free time! (3 days last sem, 2 days this sem .. thats full time, leaves room to study elsewhere or work .. obviously timetables are subject to change but the course is very manageable)

Last edited:

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
From next year onwards, you'll be able to do both a Business major and an IT major in the revised BBusiness/BScIT degree. Most of the first year core subjects are still pretty much the same though, but the new course gives more flexibility to students whether they want to go down the IS route in IT or the more technical path. It also standardises the course with the BScIT degree meaning students from both the single and combined IT degrees would graduate with the same skills in their respective majors.

biomic

(pronounced yay-zu)
HSC
I like the sound of that! .. I wonder if they'll offer current BBus/Bcomp students the opportunity to transfer easily being that the core's would be similar/the same. Definately something to look into

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)