B Business Core subject outlines... (1 Viewer)

dan_viper88

HSC
Im thinking of doing business at UTS next year but i was looking for course outlines for the first year subjects and there doesent seem to be an approprite in depth one unlike unsw which gives past course oultines. UTS only has a brief subject description.

Now ive read Jarsee's thread in the "BBusiness (First Year Subjects) Overview" which is good but i was looking for something more. I was just wondering if any one could tell me what texts books they used, mainly for:

ACCT FOR BUS, 22107
ECO FOR BUS, 25115
Managing people and organisation 21129
Marketing Foundations 24108

and if they could give me a past subject outline, possibly a link as i cant seem to locate one...

Please, your help whould be extremely appreciated :)

C'mon guys no response yet, surely theres someone here doing a B Bus, help please...

Last edited:

roadcone

HSC
I'm currently doing B.Bus at UTS. This is just from my memory so hopefully it can be of some help. I've just done two subjects to begin with, but if this is the sort of info you want I can continue with the other subjects I have done this year (bearing in mind that I'm a cadet so going part-time so haven't yet completed all the first year subjects).

JUST A NOTE - REMEMBER THAT TEXTS AND CONTENT CHANGE FROM SEMESTER TO SEMESTER (so this is simply based on when I did the subjects)

Accounting for Business: This is just your base accy subject.

The first 8 lectures cover your basic financial accounting - so you have your debits, credits, income statements, balance sheets, statement of changes in equity, adjusting entries, cogs, provisions, basic accounting framework (i.e. IASB, AASB, GAAP), financial statement anaylsis and then all your ratios for financial statement analysis.

The final 4 lectures are an introduction into management accounting - so you cover cash budgets, contribution margins, capital budgeting methods and cost of goods manufactured.

Text: Accounting (4th edition) Horngren, Harrison et al

Assessment: In this subject you can choose from three options -
1. 100% final exam (3hrs)
2. 60% final exam, 40% mid-semester (the mid-semester is a pre-released exam)
3. 60% final exam, 30% mid-semester, 10% class mark (basically need to attend all tutes and complete and occassionally submit the assigned homework)

Tutes will only be compulsory if you choose the option where you are getting a class mark. If you understand what is going on, the tutes are probably then not all that necessary. The lectures, whilst not compulsory, tend to be good. Jon Tyler is excellent at helping you to really visualise what is going on.

Managing People and Organisations (MPO): MPO, as the name suggests, is an introductory management subject. It was essentially a waste of time in my opinion, although it does give you some very good insights into human behaviour and the like. It very easy to do well, although a lot of content. Quite broadly you will touch on:

* The history of management
* Managing organisational behaviour
* Managing leadership
* Managing cultures
* Managing communication
* Power and politics
* Managing organisation design
* Managing organisation strategy
* Knowledge and learning
* Innovation and change
* Managing globalisation

Text: Managing and Organisations, Clegg, Hornberger and Pitsis
It also says to buy a compendium that is put together by the lecturer Emma Bowyer. I suggest that you either get one second hand or photocopy someone's as to be honest it really is not necessary

Assessment:
1. Final Exam (40%) - In first semester 06 you [apparently] had to pass the final exam to pass the subject, regardless of whether you had the marks to pass the subject (2hrs)
2. Individual Essay (30%) - Given three question choices to respond to. You are given these questions in the first lecture in the subject outline and it wasn't due until after VC week so you have plenty of time.
3. Group Work (30%) - This was a debate where we worked in groups of 4 formed in the tute. It involved two submissions to an assigned topic where you were either affirmative or negative. I think you got about two to three weeks for each submission.

Tutes and lectures aren't compulsory. I found the tutes were fairly useless. In this subject however the lectures were helpful as there is so much content covered and Emma tends to give handy hints throughout the semester as to what she will assess in the final

dan_viper88

HSC
Hey Roadcone, thanks alot for that info, that is basically what i was loooking for. It'd be great if you can continue with the other subjects you have done this year because having read your post you have generally cleared things up for me:)

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Accounting for Business: I did it this semester, roadcone's description is good.

Managing People and Organisations: This semester the final exam was 40 multiple choice in 1.5hours, rest of roadcone's description is good.

Economics for Business (Spring 2006):
Basic Info-
Your basic introductory economics subject which had 11 lectures, 8 of which were on microeconomics (basic concerns; demand, supply and elasticity; applications of S&D; Output, costs and profits; perfect competition; monopoly; monopolistic competition and oligopoly; and market failure and externalities) and 3 on macroeconomics (aggregate demand, supply and economic activity; fiscal and monetary policy; and the global economy).

Tutorials are allocated each week by a 20-30 multiple choice quiz (done online) on the lecture topic studied. You can be allocated to a theory class (you learn theory straight from textbook examples and others) or an application class (media article and applied knowledge questions).

I liked this subject, but in my opinion there was not much on macroeconomics (which I do prefer over micro). Other universities like USyd have 2 subjects of economics (one of micro and one of macro) which are core subjects; UTS has only one and that is all you do (unless you do a finance or economics major where you get to do a subject in macro).

Textbook-
"Economic Principles" Jackson, J., McIver, R., Bajada, C., and Hettihewa, S. (2004).

Assessment-
1. Mid-Semester Exam (20%, 35 Multiple Choice)
2. Media Assignment (20%, 2 page report on lecturer selected topics)
3. Final Exam (60%, 20MC, 2 Short Answers and 1 media problem)

Marketing Foundations: I'll be doing this next semester.

dan_viper88

HSC
Ok cheers. Thanks alot for that info Huratio.

Could you also tell me if theres much maths involved in the core subjects, cause i know at unis like unsw theres a Quant Methods subject which involves alot of maths. Is there any hectic maths component in any of the 1st year courses? If so, then primarily which maths topics are used?

Calla

HSC
dan_viper88 said:
Ok cheers. Thanks alot for that info Huratio.

Could you also tell me if theres much maths involved in the core subjects, cause i know at unis like unsw theres a Quant Methods subject which involves alot of maths. Is there any hectic maths component in any of the 1st year courses? If so, then primarily which maths topics are used?
I would say that subjects like Business Statistics and Fundamentals of Business Finance are really maths intensive (more so statistics) and there are heaps of formulas you will need to use (obviously you will not need to memorise them) - however it isnt hard at all as long as you know how to substitute values into a formula or work out an equation. A general maths knowledge will do.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Huratio said:
Marketing Foundations: I'll be doing this next semester.
Marketing Foundations:
Assessment:
Mid Semester Exam 35%
4 short answer questions with parts a and b
pretty much 8 essays

Poster 30%
A1 size poster on a chosen topic

Final Exam 35%
we had input into the change of the final exam
it was originally same as the mid semester
but now it is 20 multiple choice
and 4 short answers with optional parts a OR b

Beetle

HSC
Hey Danviper88

Im thinking of putting B of Business as my first choice too. But im having thoughts... which course is better?

B Business at UTS OR
B Commerce at UNSW OR
B Commerce at USYD

Im really confused.. and i wanna major in marketing..

any suggestions?

dan_viper88

HSC
Beetle said:
Hey Danviper88

Im thinking of putting B of Business as my first choice too. But im having thoughts... which course is better?

B Business at UTS OR
B Commerce at UNSW OR
B Commerce at USYD

Im really confused.. and i wanna major in marketing..

any suggestions?
Hey Beetle, well it all depends what your uai is to begin with, lets assume its is well over about 93, then i would have to say probably the B Comm at UNSW is the way to go, they have the best business department at the momement (although i know that others will disagree) and B Comm grads are greatly sought after in the industry. However in saying this the degrees at UTS and USYD are both extremely good degrees that you cant go wrong with. The B Bus at UTS has a more practical approach to its teaching and the campus is in a far more vibrant location.
If i was you id pick from the B BUS (uts) or B Comm (nsw). And if i would have to pick from one of these i would have to say that the B Comm is the way to go if you have a high enough UAI as the UNSW has the premier business department and it also has an excellent reputation in the industry.
Hope that Helps :)

Chris.

HSC
where can i get second hand textbooks for B Business at UTS? i remember my brother photocopied (yes photocopied) a whole textbook at work to save himself 200 bucks....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)