B.Com-Acc Assumed Knowledge (1 Viewer)

a_person86

HSC
The Bachelor of Commerce-Accounting states its assumed knowledge is Advanced Mathematics. I only completed General Mathematics (Band 6). It states in the Maq handbook that first year economic subjects must be taken hence must meet the subject preq of Advanced Maths. Basically i want to know from students actually do this course (Also B.Eco students would know, for your first year subjects)? Do you really need to know the Advanced Mathematics content? Or is just at matter of being cluey at maths? Thanks

Last edited:

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
from first year point of view...you need to be able interpret graphs, understand some coordinate geometry pretty well, ie- gradients in particular. apart from that i dont see how maths would otherwise help. this is just for economics.

for stat, adv maths wont give you any help, since you dont do any statistics in yr 10+. the last time i remember doing stat was in yr 9.

so i dont think it is a big deal. and your result of band 6 would be enough in my opinion. (strictly my own opinion).
:)

choco

love the mini xxl!
HSC
If you are going to take ACST101 then prolly you'll find it easier if you have done advanced maths....

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
yep thats true. forgot about acst101. it is a subject you WILL take in bcom- accg.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
but its just basic math calculations in ACST101... which i don't think requires advanced math.

for economics subjects you are expected to have a band 2 in 2u math. if you haven't got this, you will be able to take up a math unit at uni. MATH123 would be the most obvious choice since its designed for EFS students.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
It might be core or option. Should be easy to check.

As for original post, you'll prolly need to take 1 unit from MATH1xy.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Alex malley (lecturer)said, for accg 1a and 1b,
all u need is kow mathematically is how to add, subtract, multipy, and some times divide and, on fun days, use a square root... :p

chunder

HSC
redruM said:
from first year point of view...you need to be able interpret graphs, understand some coordinate geometry pretty well, ie- gradients in particular. apart from that i dont see how maths would otherwise help. this is just for economics.
:)
If u take econ110 seriously you would find it's quite mathematically involving.....the course involves quite a bit of calculus of a nature that would trouble even some top 2u maths students. I know many people would say the calculus aspect can be ignored.....this is true.....but come exam time u have to put your memory in overdrive as there are a lot of equations and relations to remember. Knowing how to differentiate an equation implicitly saves u a lot of memory work and ensures u get at least a credit!!!

a_person86

HSC
Whats involed in acst101?

I did Advanced Maths in year 9 and 10 if that makes any difference. Also, i completed a Certificate II in Accounting, which had Accounting 1 and 2, very basic calculations.

How long do the maths bridging course usually take, "MATH123"? And for this particular course when would i need advanced maths knowledge (like how far into the course)?

But i dont have to take Eco110 do I? Is there an easier alternative?

Thanks

Last edited:

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
in acst all you really need to know is how to use your calculator.. oh and the log laws.. haha

MATH123 isn't a bridging course, its a unit which you can take up as an elective if you haven't satisfied the economics pre-req's. it takes a semester with a final of around 70%

for b. commerce accounting you have to take both ECON110 and ECON111. they are core.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
uh yeah you do... you got 100 level electives to fill up... ie. math123

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
no you have to do a certain amount of elective units.

a_person86

HSC
Nah i have enough work to do then get my degree extended, stuff that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)