B Com - I'm confused (1 Viewer)

jonnyboy

HSC
Guys, if I choose B Com, can I study actuarial studies? I'm asking this because in the UAC guide it says "major studies in accounting, major studies in actuarial studies and so on".

I don't really get what this means. I want to do actuarial studies in UNSW so can you guys help me out by explaining this to me plz? What does it mean by "major studies in actuarial studies"?

Thx beforehand :)

Tabris

HSC
u Major in Actuarial studies means that thats the main component of your B com, u can also have minors as well as other basic essentials etc.

Speaking of Actuarial studies, u might also want to consider Macquarie over UNSW, if transportation is not a problem, its the best in NSW for actuaries, PM Flyin and some other Macq students, they will give u the details

jonnyboy

HSC
So, when do u get to pick ur major? and yes, I agree that Macquire is better than UNSW in terms of actuarial studies, but I don't think my marks would be enough to get to Macquire (93.9) if I don't get EAS. Also, the time it'll take to get to Macquire is discouraging me to go there even if I get EAS.

Thx for your help btw. :)

Tabris

HSC
U enroll into the units that comprise of the major during enrolment day, since its first semester for u, i think alot of your units are the same as any other B com student since 1st year icontains alot of basic stuff u have to do.

I am not very clear on this matter, better ask Minai. he knows pretty clearly about the B com degree stuff

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
If you don't make Macquarie actuarial, then at UNSW, yes you would pick BCom (there's no seperate Actuarial degree like at Macq). When you enrol (online), you'll be presented with a degree planner based on the major you wish to complete. The subjects you'll need to do are slightly off the normal BCom student. Either way, the online degree planner should tell you which subjects to pick.

If you have any trouble (later on when you enrol), just come back here and I'll tell you specifically which subjects you need to enrol in

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Minai said:
If you don't make Macquarie actuarial, then at UNSW, yes you would pick BCom (there's no seperate Actuarial degree like at Macq).
I know the acst mac students would prolly disagree,
but the "actuarial degree" at macq is still a commerce degree - just majoring in acst ;)

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Grizzly said:
but the "actuarial degree" at macq is still a commerce degree - just majoring in acst ;)
with a uai of 93.9, i strongly suggest you reconsider majoring in actuarial studies. even at unsw, where it is less competitive to enter the actuarial studies program, ppl with uais of 96-97 have difficulty and many drop out.

Affinity

HSC
§eraphim said:
with a uai of 93.9, i strongly suggest you reconsider majoring in actuarial studies. even at unsw, where it is less competitive to enter the actuarial studies program, ppl with uais of 96-97 have difficulty and many drop out.
Things become difficult when interest fades.

I Robot

HSC
Well for me and actuarial studies,

Things become interesting when difficulty fades...

jonnyboy

HSC
§eraphim said:
I tend to agree, however, I achieved my UAI by hardly studying and playing games during the hsc as I only need 90 uai to enter (dfee) http://community.boredofstudies.org/images/icons/icon7.gif
Smile

Apart from that, thx guys for clearing that up, it really helped me. So, once again thx.

>:)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Grizzly said:
The thing is their Commerce courses have different UAI cutoffs, whereas BCom at UNSW is all the same

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
jonnyboy said:
I tend to agree, however, I achieved my UAI by hardly studying and playing games during the hsc as I only need 90 uai to enter (dfee)
Things are not going to change once you enter uni. You will keep that same attitude and you will find it very difficult. As been said, strongly reconsider before wasting your time which you will regret deeply later.
Especially with the relaxed atmosphere that University brings.

jonnyboy

HSC
redslert said:
Things are not going to change once you enter uni. You will keep that same attitude and you will find it very difficult. As been said, strongly reconsider before wasting your time which you will regret deeply later.
Especially with the relaxed atmosphere that University brings.
That is so true...............>.<

Thx for the advice man ^_^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)