B-Com, which major? (1 Viewer)

lifesucks

Nerd And Proud of It
HSC
Bcom (or even B Economics) has so many majors to choose from, so which one/s are in high demand?

accounting seems to be so asiany, and so many people are doing it.
actuary is supposed to be high skilled, high demand, but i heard there is a recent flood of graduates .
economics seems to be good.
econometrics (according to my math teacher) is quite short in supply.
heard finance is extremely competitive, and a good job is hard to find.

etc etc. need help here, trying to get a good future, with a career where i can find a job easily. which major/s should i be looking at?

danielvh

HSC
I'm currently in first year Economics/Commerce double so am also interested to hear any opinions on this:

I'm definitely majoring in Economics and Management. Just trying to decide what else I should major in (I can do up to 6 majors due to the overlapping nature of economics and commerce but will probably do about 3 and a couple minors)

jpr333

HSC
The obligatory accounting + finance response.

Chris.

HSC
lol acct asiany.
i decided not to do accounting because its so boring. And also if you want to get a CA/CPA qualification, you have to do legt subjects, which are fuck boring. B Economics you have to do one major in economics. Econometrics major is alright at first but i heard as you advance it gets into more depth in maths. I dont see the point in choosing economic history as a major...

Last edited:

Conspirocy

HSC
i switched to the com/ec degree at unsw

i started my b ec with the plan to do economics and acct; now im adding finance

i've found i never really wanted to do acct, and just did it to keep my dad happy - regardless it does give me a a certain job when i finish my degree.

however, i was more interested in my economics and now that i have started finance im really liking that as well.

my tip would be to sus out what you like and focus on that - maybe you dont even need a double major - typically if you focus on something you will do better - i always feel that acct has dragged down my other marks because it was such a pain for me to do the work for it; essentially choose based on what you like forget the job prospects, if you enjoy it then thats where you want to be; and it may take you longer to get somewhere but i dont see the point of for example wanting to work in marketing and doing accounting because it ensures you get a graduate job

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)