• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

B COMMERCE at nsw or com/law at macq (1 Viewer)

comon wat do u recomend??? which course? assuming 2 equal people with exactly the same personal traits, looks, intellegence, personality, but one has b commerce unsw and one has fin/law at macquarie, they both apply for the same job and perform the same at the interview, assuming one of these people will get the job... which one will get the job?

yeh but which one will get the job?? which is more employable, lets just say i love both courses. i love all courses.

Demandred

HSC
Macq's business courses are just as good as UNSW, you might get a little more edge if you combine it with law.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
Demandred said:
Macq's business courses are just as good as UNSW, you might get a little more edge if you combine it with law.
I would choose the unsw candidate doing B commerce over the person doing Law/Commerce at Macq...

And i goto Macq! and I'm doing a business degree there!

The reason being... as a double degree person as well, I'm finding that my grades are decreasing in psychology which im used to getting consistently good grades... now that im doing bba ... its a lot harder .... i don't have as indepth knowledge of psychology as i did before. Which may apply to law/finance in the same way.

If I were to choose between ... a B Commerce from UNSW and a B Commerce from Macq...

I'de find those two candidates as more competitors for the job rather than the Commerce/Law student... i don't think i'de consider him much to tell u the truth.

*Comming from someone who plans to do recruitment when out of uni- not that i know anything yet but there's my prejudice)

santaslayer

HSC
codereder said:
comon wat do u recomend??? which course? assuming 2 equal people with exactly the same personal traits, looks, intellegence, personality, but one has b commerce unsw and one has fin/law at macquarie, they both apply for the same job and perform the same at the interview, assuming one of these people will get the job... which one will get the job?
They would choose the graduate that the company is currently dominated with.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Maybe if you were going for Investment Banking, then a law degree could help in those higher order strategic skills, but for general finance jobs, why waste 2 years of your time with a law degree?

Example, a friend of yours does finance at UNSW and gets a grad job (degree is 3 years). You do a law degree and it takes 5 years and you land a similar job (note that what degree you do generally means jack when applying for grad jobs). Your friend already has 2 years more experience than you, has already been promoted and is on a higher salary...think about that

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Demandred said:
Well if you're into accounting, law is your best friend.
Not necessarily, a commerce student can major in Business Law/Commercial law in their degree and have sufficient knowledge of the law for their accounting job

santaslayer

HSC
Minai said:
Not necessarily, a commerce student can major in Business Law/Commercial law in their degree and have sufficient knowledge of the law for their accounting job
I always found the Business Law major quite confusing. I know that you need it as a Minor if you do an accredited Accounting degree, but what would you do if it was a singular major? What company would need such skill? What are possible/potential occupations for the B Commerce (Business Law) graduate?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Well who knows.
I don't know about UoW, but at UNSW you cant single major in Business Law, it has to be a co-major

if you do a b economics at unsw or syd, major in finance, is it recognized by the australian institute of banking?

HSC
Not sure, but the B Business at UTS with a major in Banking is.

is the B Bus at uts any good? should u do eco at syd or bus at uts? wats the difference, if ur majoring in eco and fin.

HSC
The B Bus at UTS is more practical. That's the only difference besides reputation. If you want to work for the RBA or something similar you're better off with the B Eco at USYD.

However, if you want to work as an accountant, UTS is more connected. This has been proven in the past few years when more UTS graduates were employed at the Big 4 than USYD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)