B Creative Arts...anyone? (1 Viewer)

rachomini

HSC
Hello...I've just accepted my offer for BCA...and majoring in Music.
Anyone else is also going crazy:spzz: from trying figure out what units to put into their timetable?
What electives are you choosing...besides the prescribed units?

I was thinking of first sem:
ARTS 100
MUS 100
MKTG 101
BBA 250

2nd sem:
MUS 204
ARTS 105
MUS 102
....something else...??? might have to change MKTG around as its offered in both sems...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
What're you looking to do in music? Production? Vocals? Guitar?

If you've got prior experience in the field, you may be able to get permission to do the practical subjects :)

rachomini

HSC
What're you looking to do in music? Production? Vocals? Guitar?

If you've got prior experience in the field, you may be able to get permission to do the practical subjects :)
Vocals...=)

No experience really...=/ i did music in performance at TAFE...does...that...count? We'd perform live twice a sem back then?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yes that's experience :)

I'd talk to Diane Hughes (diane.hughes@humn.mq.edu.au) and tell her of your previous experience in performance, and take this unit (and move MKTG to second sem and maybe take on MUS206 as well).

rachomini

HSC
Yes that's experience :)

I'd talk to Diane Hughes (diane.hughes@humn.mq.edu.au) and tell her of your previous experience in performance, and take this unit (and move MKTG to second sem and maybe take on MUS206 as well).
oh oh!! really?!
I was gonna do SOC180 to fill it up!
must do! thanks so much!

also on second thought. on the enrolment day how do they know im allow to do that subject?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Either a print off of an email of the discussion or get the convenor (Diane) to sign some sort of declaration or something like that :)

Usually the unit convenors are going to be from the same school/department, so you're going to have to get approval from someone who teaches in the music department anyway

rachomini

HSC
I see.

Well I have sent an email breifly describing what we do in terms of performing...=)

see what happens!

HSC
N/A
Hello...I've just accepted my offer for BCA...and majoring in Music.
Anyone else is also going crazy:spzz: from trying figure out what units to put into their timetable?
What electives are you choosing...besides the prescribed units?

I was thinking of first sem:
ARTS 100
MUS 100
MKTG 101
BBA 250

2nd sem:
MUS 204
ARTS 105
MUS 102
....something else...??? might have to change MKTG around as its offered in both sems...
According to the 2009 physical handbook, you need entrance to certain degrees (of which the BCA is one) in addition to 12 cp to do BBA250. Additionally, unless you've had some serious business study in the past, I suggest you save it for second year - even third. I'd done ARTS105, BBA111 and MKTG101 prior to BBA250 and I still barely had any idea what was going on (of the three, BBA111 was the closest in content and 'environment'). BBA250 and MKTG101 are the two core BCA units where you will be mixing with real business students - Marketing is all very fun, but Human Resource Management was still a killer for many people I know who did it in second year.

The BCA degree has changed a lot since I started - we had to do a lot of prerequisite CUL and SOC units. I wasn't a huge fan of CUL100, but enjoyed CUL207, SOC180, and SOC289. You can also do ARTS200/SOC231 in your second semester, as the only prerequisite is ARTS100 (which you are already doing in Sem 1). I personally found it easier after having studied SOC180, but had a friend who jumped into it in her first year.

In my experience, the BCA degree is a really good one for 'dabbling'. Music is probably the only stream in which you have the opportunity to 'only' do your major - in most of the other ones you need to find other things to fill up your electives. Some of the creative writing units are fun - maybe consider picking up a language, ISYS123, african drumming...

rachomini

HSC
...slight update...

can't do MUS205... got a reply saying i do need the 12cp.

I've chosen now:

1st sem:
ARTS 100
MUS 100
MKTG 101
LING109

2nd sem:
MUS 204
ARTS 105
MUS 102
SOC180

hows that? =)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Ahh crappy, oh well something to look forward to in 2nd sem!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)