B Digital Media (1 Viewer)

maz3ndor

HSC
I am REALLY interested in multimedia stuff, and was looking at the B Digital Media at UNSW. I was wondering, how 'artsy' is it. 'm not terribly artistic but am very interested in this course (ie, I'm a crap drawer, never did visual arts etc).

Could I still do this course and do stuff like animation and computer graphics if I'm not very artistic?

nevery

HSC
Actually I'm in exactly the same boat. Anyone out there that could shed some light, please?

nevery

HSC
I don't know much about that course. Perhaps look up the program schema and check out the classes. You may be able to take a drawing elective if you're worried about basic art skills.
4810 | College of Fine Arts
You've probably already read that though.
Yeah, I've read that info. I was looking for insights to the course from people who have done it.

Philip To

HSC
Stumbled onto this post

I completed the B Digital Media in 2004 (second graduating class) and didn't have a very strong art background at all. There are a lot of introductory classes and sure there will be a lot of people the do the degree that will have really strong art skills but that's not to say this stuff can't be learned. If you put in the time and effort it requires then you'll be fine :)

Good luck!
-Phil

nevery

HSC
Stumbled onto this post

I completed the B Digital Media in 2004 (second graduating class) and didn't have a very strong art background at all. There are a lot of introductory classes and sure there will be a lot of people the do the degree that will have really strong art skills but that's not to say this stuff can't be learned. If you put in the time and effort it requires then you'll be fine :)

Good luck!
-Phil
Thanks Phill. So you don't think traditional art skills are a necessity? Just creativeness? How do you think it has helped you now? Who would you recommend it for?

Philip To

HSC
Thanks Phill. So you don't think traditional art skills are a necessity? Just creativeness?
It really depends what you want to do. Like if you want to be an illustrator then traditional skills are absolutely necessary to succeed!
For other careers maybe not so much but i still feel you need to have a strong artistic sensibility. Like you need to be able to differentiate what is good from bad and then be able to push that into your work.

How do you think it has helped you now? Who would you recommend it for?
BDM was great in giving me a solid foundation for my studies and appreciation for the fact that talent and ability is nothing without a heck of a lot of hard work!
I'm a computer character animator now and i think the program now offers a decent starting point in that area but being a general 'digital art/design' course it's not really geared at animation and 3d fulltime.
A lot of people have gone thru the program and forged very successful careers in many different artist fields so it's hard to say who i would recommend it for.

What are your particular interests?

nevery

HSC
It really depends what you want to do. Like if you want to be an illustrator then traditional skills are absolutely necessary to succeed!
For other careers maybe not so much but i still feel you need to have a strong artistic sensibility. Like you need to be able to differentiate what is good from bad and then be able to push that into your work.

BDM was great in giving me a solid foundation for my studies and appreciation for the fact that talent and ability is nothing without a heck of a lot of hard work!
I'm a computer character animator now and i think the program now offers a decent starting point in that area but being a general 'digital art/design' course it's not really geared at animation and 3d fulltime.
A lot of people have gone thru the program and forged very successful careers in many different artist fields so it's hard to say who i would recommend it for.

What are your particular interests?
Thanks for your response.

I'm thinking website design, graphic design, stuff like that. I'm thinking of this course as it would broaden my options as wel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)