B. Eco for accounting? (1 Viewer)

epsilon

HSC
Hello all. Was just wondering whether you could still do accounting and work as an accountant with a B. Eco degree? Why do more people do Commerce degrees for accounting then?

matt#1

HSC
N/A
epsilon said:
Hello all. Was just wondering whether you could still do accounting and work as an accountant with a B. Eco degree? Why do more people do Commerce degrees for accounting then?
Doing a Bachelor of Economics degree rather than a B.Commerce makes no difference to your prospects of becoming an accountant. All you have to do to become a proffessional accountant is follow the subjects that are required for CPA/ CA accreditation. I guess that the reason why more commerce students do accounting is that at USYD (for example), accounting is a compulsary junior unit for Commerce, whereas this is not true for Economics. There are also alot more people doing commerce degrees.

If you are still worried about this though, just try to transfer into the Bachelor of Commerce after the first year.

epsilon

HSC
Are you planning on becoming an economist or accountant, matt#1? If I were to choose between a B. Eco from USYD and a B. Business from UTS, and I want to be an accountant, which would be the better choice?

matt#1

HSC
N/A
epsilon said:
Are you planning on becoming an economist or accountant, matt#1? If I were to choose between a B. Eco from USYD and a B. Business from UTS, and I want to be an accountant, which would be the better choice?
I'm not planning on becoming an accountant. I'm doing 3 majors, so i'm not just limited to becoming an economist either.

Both of those degrees can lead you to becoming an accountant if you follow the right units....so i'm not sure which is the better choice. I would probably recomment the B.Eco @ USYD...but then again, im biased.

Last edited:
S

Shuter

Eco takes another year is why everyone does commerce instead.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
natstar said:
I think its better to do commerce/business with a major in accouting rather than economics
Do you have any stats or something to back up this claim? Employers will treat all employees equally once they get their CPA/ CA accreditation...that is all that matters.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
isnt the difference between B Eco and B Com is that B Eco has a compulsory one economic major whilst B Com is one compulsory commerce major.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
epsilon said:
a lot of firms dont now only restrict to business like degrees to do accounting, like the big 4 look at top talents from all disiplines for eg. engineering.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
Shuter said:
Eco takes another year is why everyone does commerce instead.
uh.. no...
econ degrees take the same amount of time.. 3 years....

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
kow_dude said:
Why is accounting becoming increasingly popular?
yeah thats what i'd like to know.....

everyone i know is switching to an accounting degree/major...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I think the priority of school leavers is finding stable employment upon uni graduation, and I guess Accounting gives that and is relatively more accessable than say Law, Medicine, Dentistry etc (which are more secure, but very hard to get into)

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
but then again, school leavers shouldn't really be focusing on the current trends. who knows if those trends will be the same in the 3-4 years time when they graduate.

Last edited:

gibbo67

HSC
from what i was reading in the usyd manual a while ago, the economics major with the b.eco was not totally compatable with the whole cpa course, it would take you slightly over the 144 credit point threshold - but the cpa have a summer school of some sort where you can make up for the units you don't complete within the 144 because of this (not 100% sure) (i don't think the ca course has one because it require less subjects)

as for accounting - it's more job specific and job related than doing a major in say political economy, - though the other majors are pretty much in the same boat as accounting in terms of jobs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)