B Econ to B Com (1 Viewer)

sykaryce

hmm....
HSC
i heard that if u do really well in B Econ for 1st year...there's a good chance u can transfer to B Com...

for B Econ...i'd have to study one major which is kinda "set" for this bachelor..like economics/econometrics etc and one major of my choice...i would like to do accounting for this one..

lets say if i'm good enough and gets transferred to B Com...would i continue with those or can i choose a 2nd major since i'm not "locked" to a major like B Econ...and does that mean if i choose a new one, i need to study an extra year?!

kinda confused here..please help :)

Affinity

HSC
If you transfer after your first year, you can pretty much do any major. Since first year subjects are identical

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
If you get into BEc and want to transfer into BCom in 2nd year, and assuming you want to do Finance and Accounting, I'd do the core subjects (complusory) and your first and second semester electives should be FINS1612 and FINS1613, or, if you want to do Accounting and something else, you should do LEGT1711 and FINS1613 as your electives (as they are required for CA/CPA, assuming you're heading that way)

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Aside, for all people transferring to and from BCom in 1st yr, ppl should avoid doing the LEGT subjects in 1st yr. Should you have an offer for BCom/LLB, at least you won't waste any LEGT subjects taken.

redd

HSC
N/A
Minai said:
If you get into BEc and want to transfer into BCom in 2nd year, and assuming you want to do Finance and Accounting, I'd do the core subjects (complusory) and your first and second semester electives should be FINS1612 and FINS1613, or, if you want to do Accounting and something else, you should do LEGT1711 and FINS1613 as your electives (as they are required for CA/CPA, assuming you're heading that way)
and if you dont sucessfully transfer, u can do legt1711 in 2nd yr rite?

out of curiosity what electives did u choose in your 1st yr in eco minai?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
redd said:
and if you dont sucessfully transfer, u can do legt1711 in 2nd yr rite?

out of curiosity what electives did u choose in your 1st yr in eco minai?
Yes, you can do it anytime (but remember 1711 is a prerequisite for almost all the later LEGT subjects)

I did IBUS1101 and IBUS1102 (which is now known as MGMT1101/1102) as I was interested in international business. Once I got my transfer I settled into Accounting/Biz Law

MeehShanku

MeehShankU
HSC
Ok im totally CONFUSED!!! Whats the difference between B Eco n B Commerce. I heard B Commerce was more towards business side (mirco) while B Eco is more towards economy (marco) Tru ???

1 more question. Im pretty sure that i want to b a human resource officer for a company lik trainin n developin ppl, n settlin dispute in the workplace. Does B Eco allow me to become that ???

Capitalist

HSC
Ok im totally CONFUSED!!! Whats the difference between B Eco n B Commerce. I heard B Commerce was more towards business side (mirco) while B Eco is more towards economy (marco) Tru ???

1 more question. Im pretty sure that i want to b a human resource officer for a company lik trainin n developin ppl, n settlin dispute in the workplace. Does B Eco allow me to become that ???
Huh? What are you on about?

In commerce and economics, you can double major.
BEc = One "free" Major + Economics Major (there's around 5)
BCom = Two "free" Majors

Majors available here:
http://www2.fce.unsw.edu.au/nps/servlet/portalservice?GI_ID=System.LoggedOutInheritableArea&maxWnd=_CurrentStudents_CommencingUG_BCom

In other words, there's less flexibility in BEc than BCom.

If you want to work in HR, you could do that major in either BEc or BCom. Except in BEc, you also have to do a major in economics (or equivalent), whereas in BCom, you can freely choose your other major.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
I accepted an offer into Eco/Arts for UNSW. I am planning to do economics as one of my majors reguardless of whether im in comm or eco.

Is there any point for me to transfer into comm after first year?

sykaryce

hmm....
HSC
emm...so i've been accepted in B Econ and wanna transfer to B Com 2nd year

i wanna do finance as my major and if i transfer successfully 2nd year..i'll add in accounting as my 2nd one...so could someone give me like...a guide or advice on which subjects to take first?

Capitalist

HSC
Do finance:

FINS1612 Capital Markets & Institutions (semester 1)
FINS1613 Business Finance (semester 2)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
And the rest of the subjects are the core compulsory ones, that are exactly the same for BEc/BCom

redd

HSC
N/A
if i were to do legt1711 and fins1613 as electives will i still be able to do fins1612 later on and complete a finance major? ( assuming i successfully transfer to b comm and also combining with accounting)

and if i decide keep the b.eco will it be possible to still have enough points for finance and eco major assuming i did legt1711 and fins1613 in first yr?

Capitalist

HSC
redd said:
if i were to do legt1711 and fins1613 as electives will i still be able to do fins1612 later on and complete a finance major? ( assuming i successfully transfer to b comm and also combining with accounting)

and if i decide keep the b.eco will it be possible to still have enough points for finance and eco major assuming i did legt1711 and fins1613 in first yr?
For the first question, yes, you can.

For the second, yes, you also can. Because LEGT1711 would just become a free option.

But why not just do FINS1612 and FINS1613 in first year? That makes things easier if you don't make your transfer.

redd

HSC
N/A
Capitalist said:
For the first question, yes, you can.

For the second, yes, you also can. Because LEGT1711 would just become a free option.

But why not just do FINS1612 and FINS1613 in first year? That makes things easier if you don't make your transfer.
thanks for that Cap, just another question by a "free option" do u mean that is a wasted course, as in not necessary.

SO if i was to do b.eco and b accounting, by doing fins1612 would fins1612 be a wasted course since it is not needed for CA recognition?

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Yes that is correct, FINS1613 is the only finance course required for accounting accreditation.

Capitalist

HSC
You're allowed to have 2 free options in your degree and still be able to double major. The purpose of them is for people who decide to change majors. There's a detailed explanation in a booklet you should receive from the FCE.

If you're intent on gaining a CA, then you can't afford to "loose" any free options. In other words, you have to utilise these free options in order to do all the required subjects. Because, in a normal degree you just have two majors (say economics and finance), but to gain a CA, you also have to have a minor in Business Law (so it would be accounting, finance and a minor in business law).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)